Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Drowning

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 12:24 am
We bought a house last year and expenses are thru the roof. We knew that and planned. However, our tax bill came (40k) and since we had to do certain renovations to our home to make it live-able we put all expenses on our credit card. I kno not a good idea but we had no choice. Live in tiny 2 bedroom with 5 kids and absolutely no privacy or put few things on cc and pay off slower. Bh for a while we were grt about paying things off and rlly budgeted. The this tax bill came plus I found out I’m pregnant -not planned. Plus tuition (42k) yr. plus plus plus ... now our credit cards (2) r maxed. I will not borrow and get into more debt. We have stretched ourselves thin. We have just enough money for basic bills and paying credit card slowly. We DO NOT have money for kids summer clothing, bras for me and few basic maternity staples. Any suggestions how to survive this hardship? Live in Brooklyn btw

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 12:27 am
I may be able to help you. What size maternity do you need?

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 9:37 am
40k sounds really high for taxes in Brooklyn. I have a very nice house and pay less than half of that. I would look into where they got that from and compare it to what your neighbors are paying and see whether you can challenge it to get it reduced.

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 9:40 am
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
40k sounds really high for taxes in Brooklyn. I have a very nice house and pay less than half of that. I would look into where they got that from and compare it to what your neighbors are paying and see whether you can challenge it to get it reduced.

Is the tax bill income or property tax or something else?

thunderstorm

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 9:43 am
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:

I understood that it was income taxes.

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 9:45 am
thunderstorm wrote:
I understood that it was income taxes.

That's why I am trying to clarify. It would seem this time of the year to be income.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 10:15 am
Ty @mommy3b2c I’m size L. Yes, it’s tax bill on part of our income. Are there any side hustles I can do that I’m not thinking of?

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 10:27 am
BTW, stealing the topic, Its wonderfull when people give away same size clothing. Helps get rid of clutter and makes someone's day. I have done in the past with my daughters clothes. I sent first pictures and imamother chose. Dumping at someones house 8 barbage bags is not the way. Take pictures and send only what imas chose. Also Imas have sent me stuff

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 10:41 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ty @mommy3b2c I’m size L. Yes, it’s tax bill on part of our income. Are there any side hustles I can do that I’m not thinking of?

You could probably work out a payment plan with the IRS with lower interest rates than your credit cards.

dankbar

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 3:53 pm
Mommy3b2c you keep on inspiring me

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 4:40 pm
As a side point. If you are having a tax bill of 40k to the it's you want to adjust your withholdings on your w2. This way at the end of the year you won't owe the IRS a large sum of money.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 4:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I don’t have that size but maybe I can help with some of the kids. What size are they?

cb

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 2:44 pm
I dont have any advice, but I do want to give you a virtual hug!

its a hard situation to be in.
iyh it will get better.

good luck.

aliavi

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 2:54 pm
Squishy wrote:
You could probably work out a payment plan with the IRS with lower interest rates than your credit cards.

Typically IRS charges more actually. The rates word can be confusing.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 10:26 pm
Thank you all so much for your support! It means so much to me. I kno many many ppl who are worse off than me. Although, today at the grocery my credit card declined so I only have $70 to spend this week. However, bh I’m extremely creative so I’ll make it work. And hopefully my older kids won’t notice. For now there is only one way to go and that’s up!! The journey that way starts now.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics