Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Toilet training advice

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 18 2019, 9:37 pm
I know there are tons of threads on this topic but I haven't found anything mentioning the issue in having with my ds.
He's almost 2 and 6 months and very verbal.
He did a few times in the potty already #1 or #2.
He knows to ask for the potty but then either of these 2 happen: he's already started an accident or he's holding it in while sitting.

How can I train him to ask before he starts "leaking"?
How do I encourage him to pee in a stream rather than short "bursts"? (sorry if tmi)

He's really happy when he goes potty and it bothers him when he makes an accident and his clothes or crocs get wet.

Advice appreciated.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sat, May 18 2019, 9:50 pm
My first 2 are boys. Both trained at closer to 3.5 years old. We had tried before and they wouldn't "get it." When they were truly ready it just happened. My oldest one day told me he's wearing underwear to gan today. I said okay and he never looked back. Again this was 3.5 years old and previously no consistent success. The 2nd boy I trained over a weekend, just said you're too big for diapers. He held it in and then by the afternoon he was using the toilet non stop, he loved it! The first few days out of the house I needed to remind him to let out all the pee as he would trickle a little and then stop. But thankfully with that reminder he would empty his bladder properly. I think it will only happen of the child is ready. My 2nd needed a push begin but he was ready. There are boys in his playgroup that are just 2 and are trained so it's possible but depends on the child. Good luck OP.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 12:51 am
Part of training is reminding him on a regular basis to try to go, and part is his learning mindfulness about his body. When you are busy playing, it's easy to ignore your body's signals.

Boys tend to take longer than girls to get full control over the muscles down there, and to have full nerve development that sends the signals to the brain. There are boys that learn early, but they are the exception, and you shouldn't judge yourself by them.

I think you're doing great that he has the concept, and that he's motivated to be successful. You could get him a watch with an hourly alarm on it, so that he'll remember to go whether he feels the urge or not.

As for the stream, I've heard that people have had a lot of luck putting Cheerios in the toilet, and having him aim at them. Another way is to just have him pee sitting down, with his private aimed downward. When he is a little older and more in control, he can switch to standing up like Daddy does.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 9:44 am
Quote:
Part of training is reminding him on a regular basis to try to go, and part is his learning mindfulness about his body. When you are busy playing, it's easy to ignore your body's signals.

Boys tend to take longer than girls to get full control over the muscles down there, and to have full nerve development that sends the signals to the brain. There are boys that learn early, but they are the exception, and you shouldn't judge yourself by them.

I think you're doing great that he has the concept, and that he's motivated to be successful. You could get him a watch with an hourly alarm on it, so that he'll remember to go whether he feels the urge or not.

As for the stream, I've heard that people have had a lot of luck putting Cheerios in the toilet, and having him aim at them. Another way is to just have him pee sitting down, with his private aimed downward. When he is a little older and more in control, he can switch to standing up like Daddy does.

Thanks for the advice.
Re bolded, I am using a potty and sometimes the toilet, so he is actually only learning to do it sitting down.
He seems to hold it in when sitting on the potty, and only giving a "squirt" at a time. The moment he realizes what is happening, he freezes up.
I have tried reassuring him calmly each time it happens, but it still is an issue most of the time.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training