Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Is this the end of our fridge freezer?

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 1:11 pm
It's been very hot temps here in Israel.

I noticed last night that a packet of sliced cheese (which was kept in the fridge door - I know, not the best place for it) was warm and very soft. Thinking it isn't working as well because of the heat, we turned the fridge up to a colder setting.

However, now I noticed that some ice pops (called igloos here) that have been in the freezer section for a few days, are completely water.

Could this just be the heat or does it sound like it is broken?

amother
Lime

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 1:20 pm
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but regardless of weather, things in the freezer should be frozen.

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 1:22 pm
It might be fixable. My fridge died, and it turns out we needed a part replaced that regulated the thermostat.

forgetit

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 1:26 pm
I had the same issue and tried the following. Its been a year now and fridge/freezer is working beautifully.
Turn off the fridge. Turn it on a slant so that you can access the bottom have someone vaccuum it very well. Then clean all remaining dust with a rag. Turn it back on and pray.
It'll be a bit heavy on the arms for the person 'holding' it on a slant, but I think its worth a try.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 1:36 pm
forgetit wrote:
I had the same issue and tried the following. Its been a year now and fridge/freezer is working beautifully.
Turn off the fridge. Turn it on a slant so that you can access the bottom have someone vaccuum it very well. Then clean all remaining dust with a rag. Turn it back on and pray.
It'll be a bit heavy on the arms for the person 'holding' it on a slant, but I think its worth a try.

Thanks for the tip. Can't hurt to try this before investing in a new one (which really wasn't an expected expense). Hope it won't be too heavy though, it's a very large one...

forgetit

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 1:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for the tip. Can't hurt to try this before investing in a new one (which really wasn't an expected expense). Hope it won't be too heavy though, it's a very large one...

Try leaning it on a counter or wall. It'll still need support, but won't be so hard to hold.

amother
Purple

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 2:25 pm
sometimes the gas has to be replaced, or at least added to. happened to us in the past. probably has to be done professionally.
!בהצלתה

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 2:26 pm
Definitely worth calling a repair man to give it an overhaul before you go to replace it.

My freezer was building up ice something awful, and I kept having to thaw it out every few weeks. I searched online and found out that the seal was leaking. I haven't had a chance to replace the seal, so I spread a thick coat of Vaseline all around the leaking areas. Problem temporarily solved!

shanie5

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 7:15 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Definitely worth calling a repair man to give it an overhaul before you go to replace it.

My freezer was building up ice something awful, and I kept having to thaw it out every few weeks. I searched online and found out that the seal was leaking. I haven't had a chance to replace the seal, so I spread a thick coat of Vaseline all around the leaking areas. Problem temporarily solved!

I did that 10 months ago-and freezer is still working fine. My freezer is so old that I can't get a replacement seal-so it's a great fix!

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 7:18 pm
We've emptied it and turned it off, trying to clean the back surfaces. One of the pipes at the back has a layer of ice around - would that be part of the issue?

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 9:22 am
forgetit wrote:

Thank you so much for your tip, we hadn't thought of trying to clean it out. We did this last night, found a layer of ice around an exterior pipe which might have been part of the issue.

Turned it back on this morning and seems that it is now working!!!

Really appreciate you and everyone else taking the time to help!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics