Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Computer use for teens
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 11:00 pm
Dd age 14 says all her very yeshivish friends have a free access to computer. For shopping and homework. She said they are shopping for sleep away camp on the computer. We live OOT. How do they do that. Do the parents have very good filter? Should I put a desk top in the dining room. I just got a letter forom the high school she is going next year no internet and smart phone. I don’t understand. I’m s bt. Please help me understand.

amother
Gray

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 11:04 pm
You should have a very good filter regardless of your official computer rules. I can tell you three hundred stories about parents who didn't even realize their kids were accessing the internet at home. And yes, definitely set up the computer in the main living area, and give normal parameters for usage.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 11:07 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
You should have a very good filter regardless of your official computer rules. I can tell you three hundred stories about parents who didn't even realize their kids were accessing the internet at home. And yes, definitely set up the computer in the main living area, and give normal parameters for usage.

The k9 I had before wasn’t restricting much. What is a good filter? I think I need to get a computer guy to come and help me.

amother
Gray

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 11:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The k9 I had before wasn’t restricting much. What is a good filter? I think I need to get a computer guy to come and help me.

K9 is lousy. Do a search here for filters, there's plenty of discussion.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 11:20 pm
K9 is finished. They closed down. You can’t rely on it anymore

amother
Mint

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 11:28 pm
Not sure how "safe" this is, but it works. I only have internet explorer, doesn't work if you download another browser.

I created a profile for every child. I set up a Microsoft Family account and added my kids. It only allows sited that are whitelisted. This is per child. I limit the computer time. (Kids can request a certain site and you can allow it from the screen or your smart phone)
With my older DC, I just blocked certain sites, plus all adult stuff.

The only thing I noticed my kids do, is they shut off the wifi from the computer and play non internet games. They aren't kicked out when their time is up.

1ofbillions

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 11:34 pm
I’ve heard good things about Net Nanny.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 11:44 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
Not sure how "safe" this is, but it works. I only have internet explorer, doesn't work if you download another browser.

I created a profile for every child. I set up a Microsoft Family account and added my kids. It only allows sited that are whitelisted. This is per child. I limit the computer time. (Kids can request a certain site and you can allow it from the screen or your smart phone)
With my older DC, I just blocked certain sites, plus all adult stuff.

The only thing I noticed my kids do, is they shut off the wifi from the computer and play non internet games. They aren't kicked out when their time is up.

Sounds good but I don’t know how to do that.
Is it a desk top? Is it in the main area or their room?
Btw do they nag you to allow them to watch movies?
Also what is a cheap ok desk top that I should buy?

amother
Mint

Post Sun, May 19 2019, 11:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

It's a desktop with Windows. Its in a very public place in by house. Try it. Remove chrome and all other browsers except internet explorer. Go to https://account.microsoft.com/family/. And create an account. You can add family members. They need to have a email account. I created one for them, and used my Google voice email account.

My kids know that YouTube is totally off limits, they don't even ask. They can only watch movies if I take it out of the library. I don't have Amazon prime or Netflix. The kids keep on asking, but that ain't happening.

My younger kids play games. My older daughter had the ability to watch on YouTube, only on the desktop. It's blocked from her smartphone.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 12:53 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
It's a desktop with Windows. Its in a very public place in by house. Try it. Remove chrome and all other browsers except internet explorer. Go to https://account.microsoft.com/family/. And create an account. You can add family members. They need to have a email account. I created one for them, and used my Google voice email account.

My kids know that YouTube is totally off limits, they don't even ask. They can only watch movies if I take it out of the library. I don't have Amazon prime or Netflix. The kids keep on asking, but that ain't happening.

My younger kids play games. My older daughter had the ability to watch on YouTube, only on the desktop. It's blocked from her smartphone.

Thank you. I need to figure it out. Is it better than apple?
YouTube has very bad stuff

amother
Mint

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 1:20 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you. I need to figure it out. Is it better than apple?
YouTube has very bad stuff

I dont own any apple products. My dd has friends that have apple devices and it seems it may be similar.

I know YouTube isnt great. Only my oldest has access to it. She used it to teach herself math. It's in a very open space and I can easily see everything she watches on her screen.

Coke Slurpee

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 8:26 am
I'm still working it out, but this is what works for me, for now. I use norton app lock, and an app called qustodio on my younger kids phone. Using the Norton app lock, I lock settings and the Play Store and all browsers, for my younger kids. Using qustodio I can set time limits, bedtime, and allow specific websites and apps. For my older kids I just use qustodio to filter and set time limits and a curfew.

trixx

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 9:38 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Also what is a cheap ok desk top that I should buy?

Then get yourself that computer guy asap because your kids are way smarter than you and will override whatever you do, especially if you don't know what you're doing.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 11:17 am
Do you have a suggestion for a cheap desktop?

doctorima

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 11:59 am
How much are you looking to spend?

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 12:06 pm
I had Net Nanny and had a lot of problems with it. Then I got Qustodio and I'm very happy. I have different (password protected) users set up on Windows for each of my children. For the younger children they don't have their password and I need to log them in. For my older children they have their own passwords so they can log in to their own user. I set profiles up for each user in Qustodio with different Internet permissions (both by category and whitelist). So, for example, my younger children are not allowed any Internet access while those in HS have access to selected categories and sites including e-mail etc. Whenever they need to access something other than what they are permitted to (which includes shopping), they need me to log them in to my user. This way they can only access these things when I am home, and the computer is in a public place.

BTW, I find the worst thing with youtube is their recommendations for "related" (and unrelated) videos. A friend told me about a site called 613tube, which basically accesses all (appropriate) youtube videos but does not give recommendations.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 7:41 pm
doctorima wrote:
How much are you looking to spend?

I just need a computer for dd to shop and search stuff for homework. So as cheap as possible. Thanks

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 7:42 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
I had Net Nanny and had a lot of problems with it. Then I got Qustodio and I'm very happy. I have different (password protected) users set up on Windows for each of my children. For the younger children they don't have their password and I need to log them in. For my older children they have their own passwords so they can log in to their own user. I set profiles up for each user in Qustodio with different Internet permissions (both by category and whitelist). So, for example, my younger children are not allowed any Internet access while those in HS have access to selected categories and sites including e-mail etc. Whenever they need to access something other than what they are permitted to (which includes shopping), they need me to log them in to my user. This way they can only access these things when I am home, and the computer is in a public place.

BTW, I find the worst thing with youtube is their recommendations for "related" (and unrelated) videos. A friend told me about a site called 613tube, which basically accesses all (appropriate) youtube videos but does not give recommendations.

Thank you! I will check this out. How did you figure out to set it all up. Did you use a computer guy?

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 11:53 pm
What do you do if your child needs to stay late to type a report on the computer?

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 12:14 am
Which control are better. Qustodio Or account .microsoft.com?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children