Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Enough kids for you!
  Previous  1  2  3  10  11  12

amother
Teal

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 8:02 am
smileforamile wrote:
And does Hashem never give large families kids who need therapies?

Or maybe, just maybe, do those needs go unnoticed or neglected because there are too many other things to take care of?

I know many large families that are theoretically managing, but it's glaringly obvious that the kids have needs that are not being taken care of.

No, older siblings are not substitutes for parents.

My boss has 12 kids. She said only one of them ever needed therapies (and most were in school) and 3 needed tutors at different points. Otherwise, they're all happy and well adjusted. The youngest is 7 now so there's a bunch married and a few teens, I know them all well and don't see a single issue that was neglected. They're all very close with each other and with their parents and can reminisce about childhood for hours at a time loving every minute.

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 8:35 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
I would think that someone with a very large family has two washing machines. And possibly cleaning help.

My teenagers and up (boys) do their own laundry most of the time. Does that make us dysfunctional?

H-ll no! It will probably make them good husbands.

amother
Navy

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 8:50 am
its interesting to see how different things work in different places. My children's school doesn't have school lunches. People talk about not really making dinner (different thread) because their kids get a wholesome meal in school.

My kid's school also doesn't have any therapies at the school that I know of. If all therapies are at school that makes a huge difference. Anyway not all therapies can be done in school. Right now my dd is getting a specific type of pt that is only offered for kids at the local hospital, home or school or even pt clinic isn't an option. The same is true for my older daughter's vision therapy. These are specialized therapies. I figured out that I need to allot around 2 hours for my dd's pt appointment between driving there, parking, waiting for therapist, actual therapy, going potty afterwards....

All the therapies my children have gotten included a home program that I needed to do with my children.

Doctor's aren't walkable neither are dentists...

dancingqueen

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 3:01 pm
smileforamile wrote:
And does Hashem never give large families kids who need therapies?

Or maybe, just maybe, do those needs go unnoticed or neglected because there are too many other things to take care of?

I know many large families that are theoretically managing, but it's glaringly obvious that the kids have needs that are not being taken care of.

No, older siblings are not substitutes for parents.

Agree again!

Either MO kids need therapy much more often than yeshivish/chassidish kids (very unlikely) or it is a different way of parenting. Also, I am younger than some of the posters who responded, and yes, kids often need therapies more often these days, and I'm talking about NT kids without diagnoses, then they did 10-20 years ago. When I was a kid almost no one got PT/OT. There are various reasons why. But certain disorders like autism and ADHD are also increasing in prevalence.

And risks of having special needs kids go up significantly when the mom is AMA, even if she has other kids, just ask your ob/gyn.

amother
Navy

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 3:08 pm
any idea why adhd and autism increasing?

mig100

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 3:22 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
any idea why adhd and autism increasing?

Did u mean to post on this thread? It's rather off topic

Because their definition of how they r diagnosed. Most kids who r diagnosed today- would not have received that diagnosis years ago.

amother
Navy

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 3:26 pm
it was in response to dancingqueen's post right before mine saying more kids need therapy now and that adhd and autism is more prevalent now. sorry I didn't quote.
Page 12 of 12   Previous  1  2  3  10  11  12 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette