Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Bracha achrona

How often do you remember to say a bracha achrona
almost always or always  
 19%  [ 38 ]
usually  
 22%  [ 43 ]
about half the time  
 17%  [ 33 ]
sometimes  
 16%  [ 32 ]
rarely or never  
 23%  [ 46 ]
Total Votes : 192

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 11:12 pm
What percentage of the time do you remember to say one?

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 11:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What percentage of the time do you remember to say one?

I have a feeling with many people here they wouldn’t say it even if they remembered

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 11:24 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
I have a feeling with many people here they wouldn’t say it even if they remembered

Why would you say that?

amother
White

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 12:37 am
For me, the question is more of, do I ever stop eating? Can't Believe It

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 7:35 am
I can forget but many times I dont pay enough attention so later Im saying again! So OCD and really not good. Maybe add on your poll say twice many times. Any idea for it?

amother
Gray

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 8:09 am
amother [ White ] wrote:

You're in good company! I remember someone told me that her relative came from Russia (many years ago) and she told her - in America people are frummer, there's just one thing I noticed they don't follow, they don't say bracha acharonah. Her relative answered, that's because we never stop eating Pale

I'm embarrassed to answer your poll.

animeme

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 8:14 am
The whole always eating thing is actually my answer. My life makes me a grazer, and I often don't know when I'm finished. I eat something, stop to do something else and plan to finish later, and maybe have a bite or two. Or maybe not, and then next thing I know it's an hour and a half later.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 8:45 am

So please, start your own poll. Bonus points for doing it during the sefira, double points if you wait for the three weeks!

stillnewlywed

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 1:10 pm
Thanks for reminding me to say Al Hamichya on my lunch.

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 1:15 pm

That's not very nice.

I used to always forget. I'm BT and it wasn't something I grew up with. I don't know why I found making brochos on my food easy to remember but making bracha achrona I forgot so often. But then I had kids and they would do it loudly when they were small and it reminded me and started me on a better pattern. I still forget sometimes though.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 12:15 am
amother [ White ] wrote:

Me toooo😩

seeker

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 12:41 am
I struggle with this a lot. Always have because I'm a little absent-minded, but worse now because I do so much multitasking and running around, and even sitting down to a meal doesn't help because some kid's need will pull me away from the table...

I think part of the problem is that the cue isn't as strong as a bracha rishona. It's relatively easy to stop yourself when you're about to take a bite and remember that you need to say a bracha first. You're literally holding the food at the time. But for an after-bracha you need a clearly defined end with a cue to know that this is it. So at a seuda it can be getting up from the table. But for the casual, non-ideal, grabbing a breakfast/lunch on the way out the door or snacking on supper as you serve and clean up from your family... not so clear.

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 12:53 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
I can forget but many times I dont pay enough attention so later Im saying again! So OCD and really not good. Maybe add on your poll say twice many times. Any idea for it?

The Halacha states that if you can’t recall whether you said any Bracha or not, then you DONT make one agin.

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 8:08 am
I voted rarely/never. I know we are supposed to say a bracha acharona but I never got in the habit of it. I never see anyone, ok rarely do I see anyone saying a bracha acharona. I know I should start. It's funny people avoid washing for hamotzi so they don't need to bentch but when it comes to other foods they aren't concerned about skipping the bracha acharona.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 10:28 am
I too often forget to make a bracha acharona most probably because there it's no definitive end to my eating as well as my forgetfulness as a symptom of my ADHD. My uncle said that my grandmother would "wash in the morning and bench in the evening." LOL

tigerwife

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 10:39 am
I also forget too often, whether due to busy schedule or simple forgetfulness. I would love to hear from others how they strengthened the habit. I think it would help to be mindful and only eat when you sit down to an actual meal, but as a working mom I am always on the go, grabbing fuel when I can. This really bothers me as it is so basic.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions