Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Screen Door Repair

kenz

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 11:46 pm
The sliding screen door to my porch is all ripped up and needs a whole new screen, I believe. Can anyone tell me how to go about this in Boro Park or Flatbush? Does someone come to the house or do I have to get the door off and bring it somewhere?

flowerpower

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 12:07 am
I did it myself. Lowes has the materials for
It.

kenz

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 12:10 am
flowerpower wrote:
I did it myself. Lowes has the materials for
It.

Umm - how did you do that? Youtube? I happen to be reasonably handy, but some things (involving items like wirecutters and similar items) I tend to leave to the experts.

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 7:59 am
Remove the screen door, measure, and buy that exact measurement screen door replacement. Or bring it with you to a store like home depot to replace exact size.

Another option - if you have the name of the manufacturer for the glass doors (check around the border and corners of the glass) you can call them and they can help you figure out the model number and the exact screen door you need to purchase.

kenz

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 8:08 am
ra_mom wrote:
Remove the screen door, measure, and buy that exact measurement screen door replacement. Or bring it with you to a store like home depot to replace exact size.

Another option - if you have the name of the manufacturer for the glass doors (check around the border and corners of the glass) you can call them and they can help you figure out the model number and the exact screen door you need to purchase.

Thanks 😊
I will try.

imokay

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 8:25 am
Marine park hardware will replace the screen if you bring the door to them

flowerpower

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 8:48 am
kenz wrote:
Umm - how did you do that? Youtube? I happen to be reasonably handy, but some things (involving items like wirecutters and similar items) I tend to leave to the experts.

They told me how to do it. I bought a roll of screen, some piping thing to put in the holes, and a roll stick thingy to do it with. I replaced the screens from some windows as well.

kenz

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 8:50 am
flowerpower wrote:
They told me how to do it. I bought a roll of screen, some piping thing to put in the holes, and a roll stick thingy to do it with. I replaced the screens from some windows as well.

Is it so much cheaper than replacing the whole thing?

amother
Wine

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 8:52 am
I just had this done last week. Hired a handyman. He took the screen door with him to get new materials and he brought it back fixed. $80.

doctorima

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 9:52 am
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
I just had this done last week. Hired a handyman. He took the screen door with him to get new materials and he brought it back fixed. $80.

Would you mind posting (or PMing me) the name and # of the handyman if you were happy with his work?

amother
Wine

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 9:57 am
I’m live in Monsey but any handyman can do this. It’s not a complicated project.

kenz

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 10:21 am
doctorima wrote:
Would you mind posting (or PMing me) the name and # of the handyman if you were happy with his work?

I was just going to ask that too. $80 sounds very reasonable.

kenz

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 10:22 am
ra_mom wrote:

When you measure do you include the frame or only the screen? I would assume the frame too but my numbers aren’t matching up with what’s available.

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 11:19 am
kenz wrote:
When you measure do you include the frame or only the screen? I would assume the frame too but my numbers aren’t matching up with what’s available.

I remember measuring both and bringing the measurements with me. I don't remember which measurements ended up being applicable.

kenz

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 11:45 am
ra_mom wrote:
I remember measuring both and bringing the measurements with me. I don't remember which measurements ended up being applicable.

Ok I can do that. Thanks.

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 12:10 pm
I recently realized I have to keep track of all our household items. (After trying so hard to find the right screen door and screen door handle!)
I have a document and every time I have an item number, company name, size, whatever - of a door, a piece of hardware, an appliance, paint color, hardwood type, stain color... whether because I replaced something, did a repair or bought something for the house... I quickly save the product name, size, model #, etc.
Also sales order numbers of manufacturers - for warranty information.
Better late than never.

kenz

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 12:14 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I recently realized I have to keep track of all our household items. (After trying so hard to find the right screen door and screen door handle!)
I have a document and every time I have an item number, company name, size, whatever - of a door, a piece of hardware, an appliance, paint color, hardwood type, stain color... whether because I replaced something, did a repair or bought something for the house... I quickly save the product name, size, model #, etc.
Also sales order numbers of manufacturers - for warranty information.
Better late than never.

That is very smart. I always have to go digging.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics