Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
School like oz vehadar in Brooklyn
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 3:11 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
It could be it started off like that.
From what I recall the solid BY students transferred to BYHS when the split happened.
I know my niece and her friends did.

So, those weaker students aren't solid BY students?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 3:12 pm
Deleted

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 3:14 pm
I feel very strongly about this due to a bad experience.
IMO, it is better that these schools do not exist, and these students are integrated into the hashkafacially strong schools.
The only reason why there is a so-called need for these type of schools is because of the resistance of the BY schools to accept students who are academically weak or do not fit the perfect mold.

So, until the BY schools start catering to weaker students, such schools are a lifesaver for many. And now this lifesaver is gone. Do tell where these girls should go now?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 3:16 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
What about BCA Bnot Chaya? Call them and look into to see if it’s a right fit.

I'm not the OP, but BCA isn't a good fit for a regular BY girl who's just academically weaker

amother
Blush

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 4:11 pm
Sorry OP I don’t know of any school that type but for those of you who wrote It wasn’t a successful school, I’m not sure where your taking that from. I personally went there and will say it was the best high school experience I could imagine anyone having. Yes we had girls all stripes and types and all different levels and thats what made it so amazing. There’s advantages and disadvantages of having an open school but to say it wasn’t successful isn’t right.

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 5:35 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Sorry OP I don’t know of any school that type but for those of you who wrote It wasn’t a successful school, I’m not sure where your taking that from. I personally went there and will say it was the best high school experience I could imagine anyone having. Yes we had girls all stripes and types and all different levels and thats what made it so amazing. There’s advantages and disadvantages of having an open school but to say it wasn’t successful isn’t right.

If it would have been a successful school it would still be in existence.

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 5:42 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
So, those weaker students aren't solid BY students?

Teenagers who struggle academically are more at risk of being pulled down hashkafically.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 6:00 pm
If it would have been a successful school it would still be in existence.

Depends on how you define success. We’re they successful with their students ? Overwhelmingly yes. We’re they successful financially ? No.

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 6:21 pm
So, until the BY schools start catering to weaker students, such schools are a lifesaver for many. And now this lifesaver is gone. Do tell where these girls should go now?

Rabbi Ashear writes in Living Emunah how a mother told him that she applied to a certain HS that she thought would be the best fit for her son.
At the end of the interview she was certain that her son would be rejected.
She asked the Rabbi if she should accept the rejection as the ratzon of Hashem or if she should try other ways to get him in to the HS.
Rabbi Ashear answered that “when it comes to our spiritual lives, we have to do everything in our power to ensure success” and that she should do everything in her power to get him accepted into the school.

These schools are not lifesavers for the children who are being negatively influenced in a troublesome hashkafic environment.

happy12

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 7:19 pm
It could be it started off like that.
From what I recall the solid BY students transferred to BYHS when the split happened.
I know my niece and her friends did.

Obviously you only know second hand information. The beginning classes where mostly strong baid yaakov girls with a few girls who were not. The later classes had more academically weak students and a few girls with haskafah issues as no other school would take them.

It was a school that cared for each student.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 7:44 pm
Teenagers who struggle academically are more at risk of being pulled down hashkafically.

Do you realize how crazy this is? Can't believe no one else is thinking the same thought. Struggling academically is a risk factor for OTD. Oy, what have we done as educators! For this is certainly a societal, man-made issue. That there is no place for the academically weak student other than placing them with the teens with hashkafic issues. And the OTD at risk community (?) is way more accepting than the mainstream world. We have made a grand mess of things. For shame.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 7:50 pm
Rabbi Ashear writes in Living Emunah how a mother told him that she applied to a certain HS that she thought would be the best fit for her son.
At the end of the interview she was certain that her son would be rejected.
She asked the Rabbi if she should accept the rejection as the ratzon of Hashem or if she should try other ways to get him in to the HS.
Rabbi Ashear answered that “when it comes to our spiritual lives, we have to do everything in our power to ensure success” and that she should do everything in her power to get him accepted into the school.

These schools are not lifesavers for the children who are being negatively influenced in a troublesome hashkafic environment.

Get back to me when you personally succeed in getting your academically weaker kid into the Brooklyn BY HS that doesn't want her.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 7:52 pm

Never met smart OTD and goody two shoes BY girls who hardly pass their tests, eh?

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 7:56 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
Do you realize how crazy this is? Can't believe no one else is thinking the same thought. Struggling academically is a risk factor for OTD. Oy, what have we done as educators! For this is certainly a societal, man-made issue. That there is no place for the academically weak student other than placing them with the teens with hashkafic issues. And the OTD at risk community (?) is way more accepting than the mainstream world. We have made a grand mess of things. For shame.

I am repeating what a HS principal lectured to parents at a meeting.
I didn’t come up with this correlation.

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 8:03 pm
Get back to me when you personally succeed in getting your academically weaker kid into the Brooklyn BY HS that doesn't want her.

I’m getting back to you.

I’ve succeeded twice after making a huge mistake in thinking it was a great idea to send my first daughter to a certain HS because they were the only one who accepted her.

I got smarter after that, and with much sweat, tears, and siyata dishmaya I was successful with getting my next two girls accepted into stable schools after they were rejected from the mainstream schools.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 8:06 pm
I’m getting back to you.

I’ve succeeded twice after making a huge mistake in thinking it was a great idea to send my first daughter to a certain HS because they were the only one who accepted her.

I got smarter after that, and with much sweat, tears, and siyata dishmaya I was successful with getting my next two girls accepted into stable schools after they were rejected from the mainstream schools.

Care to share your secret or pulls? Cause I've been unsuccessful thus far

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 8:22 pm
Care to share your secret or pulls? Cause I've been unsuccessful thus far

Honestly, I have no secrets.
Like I said I had a negative experience with a certain school that would be considered a “lifesaver” but was actually a “lifebreaker” in a spiritual sense, and I didn’t want to repeat my mistake.
I’m not interested in discussing this in-depth on this forum.
If you want to hear more details I can post an anonymous email address.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 9:06 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:

I went there as well and it was a great high school experience. it's an advantage that it was an open school. there was a feeling of achdus. yes we were all from different backgrounds and at different places spiritually and academically. despite having all different types of girls the staff treated every girl with respect and care. unfortunalty there is no school like this in Brooklyn any more. there is more to a girl then her marks and how frum she is.

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 9:25 pm

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 11:09 pm
First of all , I feel like alot of you don't know the school. Oz vehodor was NOT for OTD kids. Even the last yr before it closed down there were 1-2 hashkafic problems per grade.
The rest of the girls were very good average BY girls. And then some were girls that didnt get into schools but not for good reasons. Sometimes ppl don't have the yichus or power to push their kids into the big schools. Reb Kalmanowitz ran a school that was very accepting. It couldn't function like masores or drav meyer or whatever successful school your thinking - becaus of money. They didnt have financial backing or a parent body that can afford full tuition.
95% of the girls thrived there. I personally know a few girls that graduated a better girl then they entered.
It's sad. It's a school that is BADLY needed.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics