Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Measles wipes out immune system memory
1  2  3  Next

esuss

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 1:32 pm
https://www.sciencenews.org/ar.....ction

The most iconic thing about measles is the rash — red, livid splotches that make infection painfully visible.

But that rash, and even the fever, coughing and watery, sore eyes, are all distractions from the virus’s real harm — an all-out attack on the immune system.

Measles silently wipes clean the immune system’s memory of past infections. In this way, the virus can cast a long and dangerous shadow for months, or even years, scientists are finding. The resulting “immune amnesia” leaves people vulnerable to other viruses and bacteria that cause pneumonia, ear infections and diarrhea.

Those aftereffects make measles “the furthest thing from benign,” says infectious disease epidemiologist and pathologist Michael Mina of Harvard University. “It really puts you at increased susceptibility for everything else.” And that has big consequences, recent studies show.

Special report: Measles roars back
This story is part of a package that explores the complex forces driving measles' resurgence. For more:

Finding common ground can reduce parents' hesitation about vaccines
How the battle against measles varies around the world
Details about which immune cells are most at risk and how long the immune system seems to suffer — gleaned from studies of lab animals, human tissue and children before and after they had measles — have created a more complete picture of how the virus mounts its sneak attack.

This new view may help explain a larger-than-expected umbrella of safety created by measles vaccination. “Wherever you introduce measles vaccination, you always reduce childhood mortality. Always,” says virologist Rik de Swart of Erasmus

University Medical Center in the Netherlands. The shot prevents deaths, and more than just those caused by measles. By shielding the immune system against one virus’s attack, the vaccine may create a kind of protective halo that keeps other pathogens at bay, some researchers suspect.

Locking onto a target
After an infected person coughs or sneezes, the measles virus can linger in the air and on surfaces for up to two hours, waiting to make its way into the airways of its next victims. Once inside, the virus is thought to target immune cells found in the mucus of the nose and throat, the tiny air sacs in the lungs or between the eyelids and cornea. These immune cells are decorated with a protein called CD150 that allows the virus to invade, experiments on animals suggest.

The virus quickly replicates inside the cells, then spreads to places packed with other immune cells — bone marrow, thymus, spleen, tonsils and lymph nodes. “The virus has an enormously strong predilection to infect cells of the immune system,” says Bert Rima, an infectious disease researcher at Queen’s University Belfast in Northern Ireland. Rima and colleagues traced the immune system invasion in preserved human tissue, reporting results in 2018 in mSphere. Eventually, newly made viral particles move into the respiratory tract, where they can be coughed out to sicken more people.

An acute measles infection, which usually lasts several weeks, can sometimes bring ear infections, pneumonia and, rarely, a deadly brain swelling. On their own, those are worri­some outcomes, says Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases in Bethesda, Md. But the loss of immune cells can also leave people vulnerable to infections that the immune system would normally be able to handle.

Sunny Days

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 1:39 pm
Hashem yishmor Can't Believe It I dont want to see

yerushamama

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 2:44 pm
But will anti-vaxxers believe the article? They have so many sources of their own which talk about the dangers of vaccines, how can anyone look at this objectively?

esuss

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 5:03 pm
I am just hoping that this will help someone who is on the fence about vaccines make a rational decision.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 9:27 pm
I wonder if and how this can benefit people with immune system issues, such as autoimmune disease, allergies, etc.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 9:50 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
I wonder if and how this can benefit people with immune system issues, such as autoimmune disease, allergies, etc.

Because people with lousy immune systems need them to be made worse?

yksraya

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 9:52 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:

Not worth taking the risk. Kids are not guinea pigs.

Iymnok

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 1:23 am
So it would stand to reason that if a person cannot tolerate the vaccine, they definitely cannot tolerate the disease.

nchr

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 7:32 am
This is the reason why, besides for the smallpox vaccine, the MMR vaccine has arguably saved more people than any other medical advancement. Vaccines have saved billions of lives. Three years after a measles infection, individuals are at a significantly greater risk for severe complications from other illnesses. If I have some extratime, I'll post the numerical data.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 8:43 pm
Iymnok wrote:
So it would stand to reason that if a person cannot tolerate the vaccine, they definitely cannot tolerate the disease.

This was not about tolerating the vaccine.

youngishbear

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 8:49 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:

I have heard of this as an argument for how helpful the measles can be for allergies, eczema, etc. Personally I'd rather my child have an allergy than develop debilitating complications from measles, but I'm weird that way.

Unless there is solid evidence that measles actually helps people with specific problems, I would not take such a huge risk.

Last edited by youngishbear on Wed, May 22 2019, 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sebastian

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 8:50 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-QFoGWLu1c

This man had measles. 6 mo later he says his immune system is very weak. He needs more sleep just to function and he ended up with shingles also

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 9:01 pm
I'm really scared. a couple of my neighbors (babies) were exposed to measles. I now cant go in the hallway or elevator with my immunocompromised child bec. I doubt they are going to quarantine now.

vintagebknyc

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 9:16 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
I'm really scared. a couple of my neighbors (babies) were exposed to measles. I now cant go in the hallway or elevator with my immunocompromised child bec. I doubt they are going to quarantine now.

You must be terrified. Do you live someplace where people can bring you things? I am also immunocompromised and scared, grateful my sister got the booster in case I need her.

Sebastian

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 9:23 pm

Pls report them to the doh if you are in willy bp or monsey. Imo your child s life depends on it

Were they exposed on purpose?

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 9:26 pm
Sebastian wrote:
Pls report them to the doh if you are in willy bp or monsey. Imo your child s life depends on it

Were they exposed on purpose?

doh should know about their exposure bec I know my neighbor was in touch with her ped.
but I still don't think they will quarantine bec of her job.

Not exposed on purpose at all! were talking vaccinating families whose kids were too young to get vaccine

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 9:30 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
You must be terrified. Do you live someplace where people can bring you things? I am also immunocompromised and scared, grateful my sister got the booster in case I need her.

How do I go out to get other kids from busses or go to the doctor? leave this minor (technologically dependant home alone?) forget about some fresh air...
do I make a chute now from my window?

vintagebknyc

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 9:38 pm
How do I go out to get other kids from busses or go to the doctor? leave this minor (technologically dependant home alone?) forget about some fresh air...
do I make a chute now from my window?

I wish I knew. I am terrified everyday. I don't live in a frum neighborhood, but I take the subway so that scares me.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 9:46 pm
Anti vaxxer here, posting very anonymously. If measles causes significant harm to the immune system, how is it that so many baby boomers born before 1950 who had measles, are living such long and healthy lives? Is this article fake news?

vintagebknyc

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 9:47 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Anti vaxxer here, posting very anonymously. If measles causes significant harm to the immune system, how is it that so many baby boomers born before 1950 who had measles, are living such long and healthy lives? Is this article fake news?

You're fake news
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics