Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Article in the Ami (Abt: sealed windows)
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 9:02 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Speak to a rav who also has a background in kabbalah.

Anyone recommendation of a Rav with kabbalah background? No clue where to find one.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 9:08 pm
Am I the only one who doesn’t believe in this mishegas? It’s not Halacha!

Einikel

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 9:11 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:

I agree it’s not Halacha but wouldn’t call it mishegas since there is a clear source.

marina

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 9:17 pm
Does there come a time when we say, it’s 2019, no more sheidim for me?

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 9:30 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
I don't think this a halachic issue.

The Chassidish Rabbi I spoke to certainly thinks it is strong and powerful. He consulted a book to show me where it was written. He used the word halacha. He wanted a hole drilled in a wall where an opening used to be that material was passed through. It was never even a window - just studs before sheet rocking. I can argue what a window is and how people and material always pass through studs during construction, but I won't argue with an orthodox rabbi about halacha.

The hole was drilled. Heavy tape was placed over the hole. He was all happied up.

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 9:48 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Anyone recommendation of a Rav with kabbalah background? No clue where to find one.

If it were me I'd call my relative, not a rav per se but decades of learning kabbalah amongst other connections to rabbanim.

crust

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 9:49 pm
Its from the צוואות רבי יהודה החסיד
Just like you would check names before a shidduch etc.
Where do Sheidim come in?
Reb Elimelech from Lizensk said that as of his times there are no more Sheidim.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 10:05 pm
My parents renovated their apt before moving in by making a wall where a door used to be. Because they needed to leave a hole they drilled one very small one on bottom of floor in a corner and put thru a long piece of plastic tubing so hole doesn't get closed.
One shabbos afternoon, my sil was laying on the bed in the guest room which was next to that wall. She just suddenly got up and walked away and a second later the ceiling on top of the bed fell.
Motzei shabbos when my brother checked the hole, he noticed the tubing had been pushed out and hole was closed. He pushed the tubing back in and glued it in place.
To this day no one can explain what happened.

elisheva25

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 10:30 pm
I am glad I started this thread, as at least those that had no clue about this idea can now go and ask shailos.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 10:37 pm
Squishy wrote:
The Chassidish Rabbi I spoke to certainly thinks it is strong and powerful. He consulted a book to show me where it was written. He used the word halacha. He wanted a hole drilled in a wall where an opening used to be that material was passed through. It was never even a window - just studs before sheet rocking. I can argue what a window is and how people and material always pass through studs during construction, but I won't argue with an orthodox rabbi about halacha.

The hole was drilled. Heavy tape was placed over the hole. He was all happied up.

You have an incredible memory Squishy.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 10:40 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:

There is more to Judaism then halacha.

elisheva25

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 10:51 pm
I am just really upset at how I never knew about this...
So much heartache could of been avoided . I agree Judaism isn’t just Halacha .

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 11:09 pm
I think I remember learning that sheidim are not a problem today because they were banished to unpopulated areas, and the areas under ovens.
There are some who say that today's ovens are different than in the olden days and it's no longer an issue. Others say you can move the oven if you move the floorboards underneath the oven as well.

So basically the only halachos (or whatever term you want to give it) that we may be concerned with today include closing openings such as windows in houses, moving ovens, and going into abandoned unpopulated areas at night.

(I may delete my post because I feel like I'm going to be attacked. This is what I remember but I may be way off.)

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 1:03 am
ectomorph wrote:
Well, I lived in an apartment 3 families with children had previously lived in. Upon moving in, one of my kids developed a serious chronic illness. Miraculously disappeared when we moved out.

We checked the mezuzahs while there, and there were no closed windows.

Maybe you just had hidden mold.

MomMe

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 3:19 am
I'm really confused about this...
Are the doors and windows we have to worry about only EXTERIOR ones? Or even doors and windows to the inside of the house matter?
Also how are you supposed to clean around and under your oven if you can't move it?

imasoftov

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 5:29 am
Rappel wrote:
I actually know nothing about the shin daled.

Does anyone actually know the properties of a demon? Anyone? Imasoftov, I'm looking at you.

“Everyone knows that dragons don’t exist. But while this simplistic formulation may satisfy the layman, it does not suffice for the scientific mind. The School of Higher Neantical Nillity is in fact wholly unconcerned with what does exist. Indeed, the banality of existence has been so amply demonstrated, there is no need for us to discuss it any further here. The brilliant Cerebron, attacking the problem analytically, discovered three distinct kinds of dragon: the mythical, the chimerical, and the purely hypothetical. They were all, one might say, nonexistent, but each non-existed in an entirely different way.”

― Stanisław Lem, The Cyberiad

solo

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 5:53 am
My parents bought thier house a long time ago from a family that suffered tragedy. A non Jewish neighbor told them the story. About how they renovated the basement and on the night of its completion they went out to celebrate and were involved in a car crash that killed one fam member. Over the course of a yr 2 more untimely deaths. The neighbor said back then ppl were talking about how the last phase of construction involved covering over a window.

mammala120

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 6:32 am
Wether some of you believe this or not doesn’t matter because experience talk louder then what people think. We have moved into a home bought from a [gentile]. First owner closed of 3 windows. He lost a son. Second owner lived there for 22 years with no issues. Us the third owner had tradegy. Why I don’t know. Why no one ever thought this to community... I don’t know. Thankyou elisheva25. You really opened my eyes. We will be making 3 holes with vents Thankyou.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 7:30 am
I am totally confused about the oven thing. There are demons living under my oven? What do I do if I want to remodel and buy a better oven? What do you do if your oven breaks?

I did hear that sheidim hang out under the bed, and you can't store food or water there. I have no idea why. Do they get hungry?

If you go to abandoned places at night, you're much more likely to be attacked by crackheads than you are by demons.

I can see needing accessible windows as a precaution against carbon monoxide poisoning, or as a fire escape route.

I just can't see that correlation is the same as causation. If the moon is full and I stub my toe, does the full moon cause toe stubs?

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 7:59 am
MomMe wrote:
I'm really confused about this...
Are the doors and windows we have to worry about only EXTERIOR ones? Or even doors and windows to the inside of the house matter?
Also how are you supposed to clean around and under your oven if you can't move it?

Exterior doors and windows.
You can move your oven to clean it and replace it. There's an issue with moving the gas/electrical lines and changing the placement of the oven permanently when renovating.
Page 3 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics