Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Cholov Yisroel butter
1  2  Next

imorethanamother

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 7:41 pm
I’m seriously considering not cooking Cholov yisroel for shavuos because the butter situation is so stupid. It’s FOUR times the price and their packaging makes it impossible to follow a recipe.

Are they too cool for sticks? Measurements? I’m googling 7.5 ounces and trying to make this work and I give up.

Is there anyone out there who owns a dairy farm and can start their own rival butter product??

Blessing1

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 7:45 pm
I don't get your question. Mehadrin and j&j make butter sticks. Butter is really not expensive. It's the least expensive dairy item.

imorethanamother

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 8:07 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
I don't get your question. Mehadrin and j&j make butter sticks. Butter is really not expensive. It's the least expensive dairy item.

Really? We don’t get the sticks where I live! Only tubs and they’re expensive.

shalom822

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 8:12 pm
According to some, butter does not have to be CY as it can only be produced from cow milk. Double check with your Rav though.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 8:19 pm
imorethanamother wrote:

The J&J and Mehadrin sticks are definitely sold in the stores. You usually see it a lot around Pesach time. However let's not kid ourselves. It costs about $9 for 4 sticks. That is a lot of money if you need four sticks in one recipe.

Blessing1

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 8:30 pm
I guess you live out of town. A tub of butter is not that expensive.

isrmss91

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 8:36 pm
Blessing1 wrote:

Wondering where you live. I live in Brooklyn 4 sticks of Cholov Yisroel Butter are 10.49 in Moishas, $9.49 in Bingo. If you mean the tubs they are around $5.00, which is equal to around 2 sticks of Cholov Yisroel Butter.
On the other hand, if you use Cholov Stam, then its reaallly cheap.

out-of-towner

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 8:40 pm
I keep CY but I shop for my patients who aren't Jewish. Butter is usually around $4 or $5 for the equivalent of 2 sticks. It isn't exactly the cheapest product.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 8:41 pm
Blessing1 wrote:

I live in Monsey which is slightly higher than Brooklyn prices but not by a huge amount and the Mehadrin whipped butter this week was $5.69...that's more than cream cheese.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 10:16 pm
I agree. In Israel the butter is extremely expensive. Not only that, I prefer salted butter, which isn't really a thing here. If I ever see it in the stores, I buy a whole bunch, seal them in a double ziplock bag, and store them in the freezer.

When salted butter is seen in town, a group email goes out, and it's posted on FB!

r1

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 10:51 pm
out-of-towner wrote:
I keep CY but I shop for my patients who aren't Jewish. Butter is usually around $4 or $5 for the equivalent of 2 sticks. It isn't exactly the cheapest product.

Ya I didn’t post earlier cuz I don’t remember the exact price but I bought no cy butter before and it ain’t that cheap either

sky

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 10:56 pm
Last year they had tnuva butter and you could by single sticks so it came out cheaper if you didn’t need a lot.

cbsp

Post Tue, May 21 2019, 11:16 pm
imorethanamother wrote:

Just want to point out that the butter in the tubs is whipped so it may not be an equal substitute for certain recipes (I'm sure it's fine for sauteeing, might compromise a more sensitive cake)

And yes, the price per lb of CY stick butter is astronomical. Even in Brooklyn. We're not makpid Cholov Yisroel but we try to cook and bake CY in case of guests (plus my MIL is makpid).

(the heter for Cholov Stam butter is not so simple anymore. For one, butter may now contain whey which was not included in the exemption)

isrmss91

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 12:01 am
Problem with Cholov Stam milk, is the milk might be coming from cows, which are trief due to the fact that they are injected with hormones to enlarge their udders, some of the exent is these dairy cows can not even walk. An analysis by an American Orthodox halachic authority of the internal organs of dairy cow carcasses showed major organ distortions that would have rendered them treif, I.e. prohibited for Jewish consumption. This also has halachic ramifications regarding the milk of such treif cows. Chalav Yisrael isn't just "watching the milking" The Dairy cows used must be of "kosher status"

SacN

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 7:01 am
Quote:
Not only that, I prefer salted butter, which isn't really a thing here.

It's a thing! There are just (often) shortages and it's low on the priority list where milk is in shorter supply.

Op, butter, according to many poskim, used to not even need a hechsher, not to mention a CY one. Nowadays because it's so widely available, no one buys without.

But ask your posek.

MiracleMama

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 9:35 am
I've no idea what is available near you, what the cost is, what you can and can't afford....

But as someone who is strict on CY, if I was having a hard time finding butter or affording butter.... I'd just adjust my menu.
Seems like whatever reason you have for keeping CY would be greater than your need for a specific cake or pasta dish, no?

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 9:46 am
And I thought butter was cheaper in US. Silly me. In EY you get 200 gram unsalted Tnuva butter Badatz Eda Charedit Jlm for 7.9 NIS at Osher Ad (Bingo in US)
1 stick=113 gram
OP, 9 bucks for 4 sticks is a lot for us who are on a tight budget.

nylon

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 9:59 am
Just FYI CS butter is NOT $5 for 2 sticks--Land O Lakes costs between $4.50 and $5 a pound. Store brand is cheaper.

The price of all butter has gone up substantially in the past few years. I used to pay between $2.50 and $3 per pound. (We eat a lot of dairy in my house)

7.5oz is a little odd because it's not like it corresponds to a metric amount. It's just them trying to do a sneaky price hike by shaving the package from 8oz to 7.5 without changing the price.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 10:00 am
What's the price in US for heavy whipping cream? If cheap, then home made butter is a suggestion.
https://toriavey.com/toris-kit.....tter/

groovy1224

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 10:20 am
Non CY butter is on sale by me $2.99 for 4 sticks. CY is $10.99 for 4 sticks. I think I'll just have any mpakpid CY guests over for shabbos lol.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains