Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Why does storebought cheesecake taste better?
1  2  Next

ludicrous

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 6:52 am
Why does store bought cheesecake, for example Stern's and Green's cheesecake sold in grocery stores in NY, taste better than any homemade cheesecake that I make?
TIA

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 6:54 am
Ha! My husband has a bakery and we prefer homemade!!!

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 7:07 am
OP, you make simple cheese cakes (Israeli style) or more elaborate ones like NY style with bottom crust, filling and topping? Do you use corn flour? Baked or non-bake? Gelatin? What kind of cheese?
More details would be helpful.

Sleek

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 7:19 am
Try a recipe with mostly cream cheese.

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 7:47 am
Store bought cheese cake does definitely NOT taste better than homemade, no way!

DrMom

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 7:53 am
Lousy recipe?

Poorly calibrated oven?

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 7:54 am
Sleek wrote:
Try a recipe with mostly cream cheese.

Yes- I think this is a big part of it. My husbands cheese cake is smooth and creamy. I realized that the more farmer cheese I use the bumpier mine gets (my kids prefer the bumpy type!) also it has loads more sugar

sky

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 8:18 am
I think that they only use pure cream cheese and sour cream. When making it yourself and you see the list of ingredients you make something slightly healthier.

You know the recipes that call for 4 blocks of cream chess for a single cake. Most people at home make something else.

Personally I’ve had some really delicious home made cheese cake - I prefer without farmer cheese. (This past Shabbos had 3 TMI - they were all divine - zebra, plain, brownie layer )

What texture do you like - cakey or rich and creamy.

oliveoil

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 8:29 am
The same reason people are always trying to replicate reismans hamantaschen or Duncan Hines browniee. You think that's what the real stuff is supposed to taste like because that's what you're used to. You don't realize that they're all trying to replicate the real homemade stuff (and falling well short).

aliavi

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 8:33 am
If you like a thick dense cheesecake I have some tips. Don’t get low fat cheeses and drain the sour cream. If your cream cheese has moisture on it out of the package, use a tea towel to absorb. If you’re using a graham or Oreo crust it will be much better dryer.

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 8:48 am
I blend the ingredients to make a smoother cheesecake. If you just mix the ingredients without blending, the cake won't be so smooth and fluffy.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 8:49 am
Mine tastes better I've been told.
It probably has a billion calories though Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

amother
Red

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 9:23 am
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
Store bought cheese cake does definitely NOT taste better than homemade, no way!

Depends on the home, lol! I've never made a cheesecake but I can almost guarantee it wouldn't be particularly good. LOL

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 9:32 am
amother [ Red ] wrote:
Depends on the home, lol! I've never made a cheesecake but I can almost guarantee it wouldn't be particularly good. LOL

Love this!
Try it though - you may be surprised!

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 9:55 am
ludicrous wrote:
Why does store bought cheesecake, for example Stern's and Green's cheesecake sold in grocery stores in NY, taste better than any homemade cheesecake that I make?
TIA

I have this same question with cheese blintzes. Store bought filling is waaay better. Mine is either too runny or too piecey or too dry. I never found a good recipe yet.

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 10:17 am
The secret is underbaking.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 10:33 am
ra_mom wrote:

And a good recipe with quality ingredients. Anything that calls for Israeli white cheese 5% and cornflour will be (barely) edible and a far cry from delicious.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 10:40 am
oliveoil wrote:
The same reason people are always trying to replicate reismans hamantaschen or Duncan Hines browniee. You think that's what the real stuff is supposed to taste like because that's what you're used to. You don't realize that they're all trying to replicate the real homemade stuff (and falling well short).

Totally agree. All industrial food stems from home cooking/baking except for Doritos. Bamba, Bissli. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Try the Israeli standard store bought Hamentashen vs. home made ones. Two different planets I say.

egam

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 10:52 am
ra_mom wrote:

Yes. Bake it in a water bath and turn the oven off when the middle still a little bit jiggly. And good recipe is also a plus.

I make mean cheesecakes. And I’ve had good homemade ones from other people. It’s possible.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 10:58 am
All this talk about the best tasting cheesecakes and no one offered their absolutely no-fail best tasting Cheesecake recipe?

Selfishness, I say.

Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen