Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
What should I find out about before buying a first time hous
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 7:58 am
I'm hoping soon to buy my first house's what should I look for, know about..... Any and as much details please.
Thanks

amother
Azure

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 8:01 am
The first step is to make sure that you can get a mortgage. Call a mortgage place and get yourself a pre-approval. Them you will know what u can afford and go with a realtor to look for your dream home.
What questions do u have? (I am in the field)

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 9:08 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm hoping soon to buy my first house's what should I look for, know about..... Any and as much details please.
Thanks

Make sure you can actually afford it with all the hidden fees!

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 9:09 am
Just because your credit qualifies you for a lot of mortgage, doesn't mean that you should take it. Be realistic about what you can pay each month, with a WIDE margin factored in for repairs and upkeep, not to mention family emergencies.

Inspection, inspection, inspection! Pay for the best, this is a huge investment you're making, and you'll kick yourself if you skimp on this. This includes the roof and the foundation/drainage system.

If you are handy at all, and you want a great deal, ignore cosmetic problems. If nobody has updated the house since the 70's, and you hate the wallpaper, don't let that stop you. What you want to look for in a house is "good bones". You want a solid structure to work with, and from there you do anything you like.

If there is carpet, ask to pull up a few corners and see what kind of subfloor there is. You may have gorgeous hardwood, or you may have particleboard that smells like dog pee.

I flipped houses for several years, and I could tell you stories that would make you both laugh and cry. Some stories are best told with a bottle of wine, if you have a few hours to kill. Cheers Wink Kind of like a soldier telling old war stories, really.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 9:19 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks

Make sure its not rent stabilized. Many two family houses in Brooklyn are rent stabilized due to legal violations that previous owners have committed and you can get stuck with it if you don't do proper research about it.

groovy1224

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 9:29 am
Ask for utility bills so you know how much to budget for heat, electric, water, etc. Most first time homebuyers are coming from an apartment that A)is significantly smaller than the home they're buying and B)had heat/water included in the rent, so these are expenses you're not used to and you need to budget accordingly.

Factor in soft costs like new furniture, if you will have to furnish a larger space, mezuzahs, movers, things like that.

ectomorph

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 9:31 am
Check for lead, radon, and asbestos. It's a huge pain but we insisted and it turned out the house was filled with asbestos. It cost 10k to remove but that's cheaper than lung cancer...

I know several people with lead poisoned children. It's not something to take a chance on.

Rutabaga

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 11:29 am
ectomorph wrote:
Check for lead, radon, and asbestos. It's a huge pain but we insisted and it turned out the house was filled with asbestos. It cost 10k to remove but that's cheaper than lung cancer...

I know several people with lead poisoned children. It's not something to take a chance on.

All this, plus check if there's any history of flooding or
mold or termites or if they get ants in the spring or mice. Also find out how old the roof, boiler, and hot water heater are.

emzod42

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 11:36 am
Find out how old everything is: major appliances, heating/ac systems, water heater, roof, windows, anything that could break or need to be replaced that is a big expense. Find out the taxes and when they were last assessed. Drive by at different times to see what the neighbors/neighborhood is like: do people park in front of the house, blast music all day, have a lot of pets, etc. Factor in costs for seasonal upkeep: trees with a lot of leaves, lawn size, long driveway for shoveling, etc.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 11:39 am
Also make sure there is a shul within comfortable walking distance for Shabbos and some people also make sure to check if there is a lady's mikvah close enough to walk to on Shabbos and Yom Tov .( I know people that didn't buy in certain areas because of this).

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 11:42 am
Definitely find out who your neighbors will be. Of course that can change, but don't knowingly get into a situation that will be supremely unpleasant.

Sunshineforever

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 11:47 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

I flipped houses for several years, and I could tell you stories that would make you both laugh and cry. Some stories are best told with a bottle of wine, if you have a few hours to kill. Cheers Wink Kind of like a soldier telling old war stories, really.

Please do tell. Maybe on a new thread so as not to hijack this one.

Sunshineforever

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 11:49 am
ectomorph wrote:

Who does one get in to check for these things?

How do you know these kids are lead poisoned? Is there a way to check?

studying_torah

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 1:17 pm
All great ideas here. Also check out the basement- is it dry or damp, did it ever have mold issues & if so how were they solved.
Make sure any leaks in the house were repaired.
Was there regular maintenance done on the house or was it just used & abused?
Good luck!

amother
Orange

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 1:23 pm
Make sure any renovations such as kitchens etc were all done with legal permits.

ectomorph

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 1:32 pm
Sunshineforever wrote:
Who does one get in to check for these things?

How do you know these kids are lead poisoned? Is there a way to check?

Ask your inspector there are people who do it. It's not cheap, but it's cheaper than cancer or lead poisoning.
Mostdoctors do a pin prick lead test at about a year but you can request it any time you move or do work on the house

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 2:12 pm
From the owners:
Hold old is the roof
The boiler
The hot water heater
What are heating costs?
Electric costs
Water
Real estate taxes
Yearly landscaping and pool maintenance

On your own:
Turn on each faucet and shower and let it run for a minute or two on both hot and cold
Flush all toilets and watch what happens
Look behind radiators yourself with a flashlight and check for mold
Open closets
Open all kitchen drawers and cabinets to check condition
Pay attention to how floor creaks
Look through basement carefully. Notice any mold smells or wetness on floors in corners. Check behind everything down there.
Check out home during the day to see how much light comes in
Come back again at night to see if adequate electrical and lighting is installed
Ask them to turn on heating for 15 minutes while there. Then cooling system for 15 minutes. Pay attention.

From an engineer (who is recommended by someone you trust who used that engineer at least 4 years ago who's predictions were accurate and true):
Structure of home
Foundation
Electrical
Insulation
Drafts
Windows
Water leaks
Mold
Lead
Asbestos
Termites
Roof
Boiler
Hot water heater
Questions about structure that you'd like to change and about electrical that you'd like to add

Last edited by ra_mom on Thu, May 23 2019, 2:15 pm; edited 2 times in total

silly

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 2:14 pm
Find out if its well insulated

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 2:59 pm
Wow thank you. A lot of information. I know we have to get an inspection done on the house. They check for all those things mentioned right? It's automatic or do you have to be specific with them on what to check.

studying_torah

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 7:38 pm
No inspectors don't check for mold or the roof the hot water tanks the cooling or heating system (at least not the one I had).
Also try to go in sunny & rainy weather to see both the natural light or lack thereof and to see if there are any leaks or drainage issues .
Also check the condition of the gutters.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating