Home

Chassidish minhg-not giving fish to babies
Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


tweety1




 
 
 


Post  Thu, May 23 2019, 4:34 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
Wrong. And I will keep on repeating until I'm blue in the face. Every legitimate minhag has a mekor in halacha. Ex. Men have minhag to fold tallis right after Shabbos ( not allowed to fold on shabbos). This minhag has root in halacha. You are supposed to do something every day in preparation for shabbos. So immediately after shabbos over we start preparing for next shabbos.

Woa! Why so angry? What did I say to make you angry? Or did you just have a similar argument with somebody else that your letting your anger out as "amother" ?
Back to top

amother




Wheat


Post  Thu, May 23 2019, 4:55 pm
tweety1 wrote:
Woa! Why so angry? What did I say to make you angry? Or did you just have a similar argument with somebody else that your letting your anger out as "amother" ?


Because its precisely that mindset that pushes more and more of the so called 'minhagim' onto society.

A minhag is not something your mother just did because of comfort, preference or situational reasons. It's something that's rooted in halacha. So when someone asks whats a mekor for a minhag, using the 'mesorah' response to quiet down the questions is wrong. Like I said in my earlier post, not buying pink clothing is not a mesorah or a minhag. Nor is cooking fish in two separate pots (cause my grandmother didn't have a big enough pot), nor is not feeding fish to a child (if its because of then assumed safety issues), etc.
Back to top

amother




Mint


Post  Thu, May 23 2019, 4:57 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
Because its precisely that mindset that pushes more and more of the so called 'minhagim' onto society.

A minhag is not something your mother just did because of comfort, preference or situational reasons. It's something that's rooted in halacha. So when someone asks whats a mekor for a minhag, using the 'mesorah' response to quiet down the questions is wrong. Like I said in my earlier post, not buying pink clothing is not a mesorah or a minhag. Nor is cooking fish in two separate pots (cause my grandmother didn't have a big enough pot), nor is not feeding fish to a child (if its because of then assumed safety issues), etc.


not vaccinating... (sorry had to go there).
Back to top

amother




Pewter


Post  Thu, May 23 2019, 5:12 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
Because its precisely that mindset that pushes more and more of the so called 'minhagim' onto society.

A minhag is not something your mother just did because of comfort, preference or situational reasons. It's something that's rooted in halacha. So when someone asks whats a mekor for a minhag, using the 'mesorah' response to quiet down the questions is wrong. Like I said in my earlier post, not buying pink clothing is not a mesorah or a minhag. Nor is cooking fish in two separate pots (cause my grandmother didn't have a big enough pot), nor is not feeding fish to a child (if its because of then assumed safety issues), etc.


ChillPill
Back to top

amother




Wheat


Post  Thu, May 23 2019, 5:18 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
ChillPill


I'm very chilled Smile. I just thought you may want an answer to your question, why people will talk till they get blue in the face.

You asked, and I answered. Unless your question was rhetorical in an attempt to whitewash the truth that you were just exposed to.
Back to top

Stars




 
 
 


Post  Thu, May 23 2019, 5:23 pm
Minhagim do need a mekor other than my grandmother said so. Aylor.
Back to top

amother




Burlywood


Post  Thu, May 23 2019, 6:02 pm
In our family we don't give fish to babies until they can make a bracha - because neshamos of tzadikim sometimes choose to return to the world in the form of fish to be elevated (gilgul), and they can only be elevated through a bracha. Or some Kabbalah explanation along those lines Smile
Back to top

cbsp




 
 
 


Post  Thu, May 23 2019, 7:08 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
What does that have to do with Shalom B-ayas? Is the Mekor not to leave your Tallis flying around that ur wife gets upset?


The other mekor is that you are not permitted to fold on creases on Shabbos.

How it's related to shalom bayis? I heard (possibly Rabbi Reisman or maybe Rabbi Viener) it's because the minhag (Oy Very Happy ) is that the shver (wife's father) bought the tallis, so seeing her husband treating the tallis with kavod endears her to him.
Back to top

amother




Pewter


Post  Thu, May 23 2019, 7:13 pm
cbsp wrote:
The other mekor is that you are not permitted to fold on creases on Shabbos.

How it's related to shalom bayis? I heard (possibly Rabbi Reisman or maybe Rabbi Viener) it's because the minhag (Oy Very Happy ) is that the shver (wife's father) bought the tallis, so seeing her husband treating the tallis with kavod endears her to him.


I’ve heard of it being a segula for shalom bayis
Back to top

lora




 
 
 


Post  Thu, May 23 2019, 7:28 pm
I think its associated with anyone who has an overprotective "Hungarian Bubby" I dont give my baby fish just in case since my mother didnt until the kid can say "fish" however my mother in law and family in law never heard of the concept at all and they think its weird that I dont give fish. were pretty much from the same circles.
Back to top

amother




Lime


Post  Thu, May 23 2019, 9:18 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
In our family we don't give fish to babies until they can make a bracha - because neshamos of tzadikim sometimes choose to return to the world in the form of fish to be elevated (gilgul), and they can only be elevated through a bracha. Or some Kabbalah explanation along those lines Smile


But shabbos we don't make a beracha on the fish?
Back to top

BrachaBatya




 
 
 


Post  Thu, May 23 2019, 11:43 pm
Minhag aside, realize that most fish today is highly polluted and is not good to eat. Even the "highest grade" fishes are found to have high levels of PLASTIC and mercury in them. Steer clear of fish if you can. I used to LOVE salmon and different fishes but no longer eat any of it, or feed my family any fish, due to the severe pollutants.
Back to top

amother




Lilac


Post  Fri, May 24 2019, 12:48 am
No Hungarian roots here. My family was not frum for two generations before me and yet I've heard of this superstition from my mom. No fish or the kids will have hard time learning to talk. Another similar superstition not having a baby look in the mirror. Not sure to what age. Not to feed in front of other people lest they give evil eye. Lots if interesting "minhagim". For the record my family is from Ukraine/ Belorus/Poland
Back to top

tweety1




 
 
 


Post  Fri, May 24 2019, 1:18 am
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
No Hungarian roots here. My family was not frum for two generations before me and yet I've heard of this superstition from my mom. No fish or the kids will have hard time learning to talk. Another similar superstition not having a baby look in the mirror. Not sure to what age. Not to feed in front of other people lest they give evil eye. Lots if interesting "minhagim". For the record my family is from Ukraine/ Belorus/Poland

So interesting that my family just recently had this discussion abt a baby looking in the mirror. From what I heard it has something to do that babies under a year can see the melachim and if you put a baby under a year in front of one then they cant. Dunno if it's true yes know. So plz don't bash untill your one hundred percent certain it doesn't have a makor. Just cuz you don't know abt it or dh or father or mother, doesn't mean it doesn't have one.
Back to top
Previous  1, 2 Recent Topics

Page 2 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants

Related Topics Replies Last Post
PT for babies Brooklyn
by amother
0 Fri, Aug 23 2019, 11:12 am View last post
Giving away breakfront
by amother
5 Fri, Aug 23 2019, 12:57 am View last post
Child giving up too quickly
by amother
0 Sun, Aug 18 2019, 9:50 am View last post
Chassidish cheider/school monsey
by amother
11 Tue, Aug 13 2019, 5:06 pm View last post
by nchr
What made you feel pampered after giving birth?
by amother
51 Mon, Aug 05 2019, 9:43 pm View last post

Jump to: