Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Don't want to make another expensive mistake - diamond ring
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 11:48 am
I reset my engagement ring, and the setting was too big and overwhelmed the center stone.

What is a nice setting that enhances the stone without overwhelming the center stone. The stone is particularly nice, so I want to feature it.

I don't want something dated.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 11:50 am
I would go to a store with a huge selection and look specifically at rings that feature a center stone the same size and cut as yours. You don't want to envision it, you want to actually see it.

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 11:51 am
Side stones take away from the beauty of the diamond. Look up solitaire diamond rings and choose one that appeals to you. Solitaires are classic too and never go out of style.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 12:00 pm
If you like the diamond, then stick with a classic setting, maybe a raised diamond. I absolutely love the tiffany one with a raised diamond and a baguette on either side.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 12:01 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Side stones take away from the beauty of the diamond. Look up solitaire diamond rings and choose one that appeals to you. Solitaires are classic too and never go out of style.

The setting was originally a tiffany setting given to me by my late DH. I don't want the same type of setting. I want something new and different.

SuperWify

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 12:06 pm
Definitely a raised solitaire setting will show off the beauty of the diamond without overcrowding it.

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 12:14 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
If you like the diamond, then stick with a classic setting, maybe a raised diamond. I absolutely love the tiffany one with a raised diamond and a baguette on either side.

This is the Tiffany setting:

No baguettes, 6 prongs.

I think you're referring to this

Its another classic setting, but not Tiffany. I suspect OP would find it "dated" not classic.

Halo rings have been "hot" for years, but I think they're best with smaller stones. In any case, they will definitely be dated soon.

Its all a matter of taste. Look at finished rings to see what you like, and use a similar setting for your diamond.

SuperWify

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 12:28 pm
OP you can ask the jeweler to put your diamond in a few settings so you can get an idea of what it looks like before choosing the right setting.

amother
Teal

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 12:31 pm
Check out fishtail prongs. Love that!!!https://ivyandrose.com/product.....rongs
I would do this without hte diamonds on the side.

https://www.pricescope.com/com.....9906/

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 12:41 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
This is the Tiffany setting:

No baguettes, 6 prongs.

I think you're referring to this

Its another classic setting, but not Tiffany. I suspect OP would find it "dated" not classic.

Halo rings have been "hot" for years, but I think they're best with smaller stones. In any case, they will definitely be dated soon.

Its all a matter of taste. Look at finished rings to see what you like, and use a similar setting for your diamond.

Thank you baby blue.

I had the first. I need something unlike it because I am using the stone from my late DH and told my current DH that I will reset it to make it from him.

trixx

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 12:46 pm
Pinterest or look at Instagram accounts of engagement rings to get an idea - I found my dream setting online and then hunted it down in real life (it was pretty specific)

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 1:13 pm
OP if you'd like you can pm me for a picture of a setting I think you'd like. I'd rather not post a pic of my ring here.

studying_torah

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 1:14 pm
Can you take your stone along with you to try it in various settings?
I wish you all the happiness with your new dh & in this new part of your life!

pesek zman

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 1:21 pm
I love halo settings. BH I have a beautiful stone but the setting takes it to another level

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 1:25 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Check out fishtail prongs. Love that!!!https://ivyandrose.com/product.....rongs
I would do this without hte diamonds on the side.

what the heck this is my EXACT ring. I've never seen anyone else with it, but I adore it and I get compliments on it all the time!!!

challahchallah

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 1:49 pm
What about two small sapphires on the side? The blue makes the diamond pop extra and it will look noticeably different from your original ring.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 2:42 pm
studying_torah wrote:
Can you take your stone along with you to try it in various settings?
I wish you all the happiness with your new dh & in this new part of your life!

Thank you so much for your beautiful wishes.

I did. TBH none of the settings were made for my size stone. This is how I made the mistake the first time I reset it. The jeweler had to extend the basket.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 3:31 pm
[quote="amother [ Babyblue ]"]This is the Tiffany setting:

That’s mine and I just love it!

amother
Teal

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 5:37 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
what the heck this is my EXACT ring. I've never seen anyone else with it, but I adore it and I get compliments on it all the time!!!

I reset my ring with such a setting. I know it's not very popular but I love it!

studying_torah

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 6:17 pm
I'm not a maven but I hope you find something you love!
I actually saw a ring with 2 small hearts as side stones , which is unusual and romantic.
Or maybe colored stones on the side that will enhance without lessening the center stone beauty.

On a separate note, maybe keep your original ring intact & your new dh can get you one . Even if not a diamond, just something special that you pick put together as a sign of your new relationship.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics