Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Rash reaction to WW spelt flour or overripe bananas?

Spaghetti7

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 9:49 am
My two year old eats everything and anything and has never had a problem.
She generally eats white bread every day and sometimes WW pasta, and other wheat-containing things.

The last two times I've given her something (one time cookies and one time pancakes) I made with WW spelt flour, she developed an itchy rash on her arms and all over her tummy.

Is it possible she's some kind of intolerant or allergic to WW spelt flour but totally fine with regular white/WW flour?

I can't figure out anything else that was different in what she ate on those two occasions except for spelt flour. Happens to be that both the cookies and pancakes also contained overipe bananas. Is that something that is a potential allergen as well?

Thanks for any helpful guidance (aside from taking her to an allergist or dr, obviously I've already considered doing that).

octopus

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 10:07 am
Bananas are way more allergic than spelt. But there is no way to tell unless you give each one by itself after the initial rash clears up.

acemom

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 11:21 am
octopus wrote:
Bananas are way more allergic than spelt. But there is no way to tell unless you give each one by itself after the initial rash clears up.

Agreed.

Bananas is general can be a trigger, ripe or not btw.

Spaghetti7

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 12:03 pm
I'm nervous to give her again because the first time it happened it was only on her arms, and this time it was worse (on her tummy too). So I'm just going to stop giving bananas if it's more likely them. Thanks for your help!

yidisheh mama

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 3:34 pm
Banana can be a strong allergen and often comes along with a latex allergy.

tf

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 3:55 pm
WW stands for whole wheat.
Wheat and spelt are 2 different grains.
It’s WW (whole wheat) or whole grain spelt.
People can be allergic to either one or both.
Being allergic to one does not automatically mean allergic to the other.
People can also be more sensitive to whole grain and not to regular grain, or vice versa.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 6:23 pm
Latex allergy was the first thing that jumped to my mind. Bananas, avocados, mangoes, kiwis, and most types of medical bandages will cause skin irritation or rash. Latex balloons should be avoided as well. Pretty much all hospitals these days ban latex balloons, and have latex free exam rooms where all the equipment is safe as well.

Try taking a small piece of banana skin and rub it on her arm. If you see a redness there after about a half an hour, then you'll have your answer.

If you get a reaction, make sure you stock up on CLOTH band-aids and cotton wrapping gauze. It's totally worth it to have in the house at all times. If you need to wear protective gloves, get the purple neoprene ones.

If you can't pin down what's wrong, then get her to an allergist. Wheat, spelt, and banana are fairly easy to test for, so the test doesn't need to be extensive.

Spaghetti7

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 11:36 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Latex allergy was the first thing that jumped to my mind. Bananas, avocados, mangoes, kiwis, and most types of medical bandages will cause skin irritation or rash. Latex balloons should be avoided as well. Pretty much all hospitals these days ban latex balloons, and have latex free exam rooms where all the equipment is safe as well.

Try taking a small piece of banana skin and rub it on her arm. If you see a redness there after about a half an hour, then you'll have your answer.

If you get a reaction, make sure you stock up on CLOTH band-aids and cotton wrapping gauze. It's totally worth it to have in the house at all times. If you need to wear protective gloves, get the purple neoprene ones.

If you can't pin down what's wrong, then get her to an allergist. Wheat, spelt, and banana are fairly easy to test for, so the test doesn't need to be extensive.

Thanks this was a really helpful reply. Smile Am going to try with the banana on her arm and see what happens.

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 8:13 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

One of my kids had exczema/rashes all over his body. Whenever I put ointment and covered with a bandage, those areas became even worse.
I finally figured it must be a latex allergy.
He used to eat less of bananas because he was off lots of food. Somebody finally pointed out to me that bananas are an allergen.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics