Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How do you hide ur valueables from cleaning help?
1  2  Next

thegiver

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 11:33 pm
Examples:
Tzedakah money
Checkbooks
Cash
Valueable documents passports ss etc
Jewelry
Family heirlooms (some bulky silver)
Expensive Tapestries that are folded away
Expensive clothing (not so worried about this one)

I have an armorie that locks but if you pull hard enough you can open it. Where r ur clever hiding spots? I have several floors so cant an eye on her all the time—esp with kids going up and down and blaring vacuum cleaner obstructs sound sometimes.

Thanks!!

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 11:35 pm
I have a combination lock on my walk in closet and everything valuable is in there

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 11:35 pm
Also I have cameras around my house

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 11:36 pm
Anything valuable should be locked up though. A drawer that opens when you pull it isn’t secure enough

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 11:36 pm
We have a file cabinet with a lock and key. I can't imagine not having a place to lock up important documents and valuables. We put all valuables in when there are workers in the house and also when we travel. For a period there were lots of daytime robberies in our area so we kept everything locked up all the time since we're out at work.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 11:45 pm
I don’t hide anything. I trust her. She has the combination lock numbers to my house.

Ravenclaw

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 11:46 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
I don’t hide anything. I trust her. She has the combination lock numbers to my house.

Same

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 11:49 pm
My jewelry and important documents are locked in my closet.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 11:58 pm
Locked file cabinet. Unfortunately I only started to do this after a few pieces of jewelry went missing... Documents and jewelry are in there. I don’t lock my silver, but I’m thinking maybe I should... Does anyone lock up their sterling silverware and other silver items?

amother
Coral

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 12:44 am
I have them in a safe. I have a large and a small one.

tichellady

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 1:14 am
My cleaning help watches my baby- my most valuable little one so I’m not worried about hiding jewelry

rachel6543

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 1:33 am
I trust my cleaning help and don’t lock anything up. She’s worked for me for 10+ yrs and has keys to my house. I also 100% trust her with babysitting my kids. Also, I really don’t own anything (at least Jewerly wise) that is really $$.

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 6:33 am
tichellady wrote:
My cleaning help watches my baby- my most valuable little one so I’m not worried about hiding jewelry

That’s my line too. If I trust her with my kids, I trust her with my jewelry.

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 6:40 am
thegiver wrote:
Examples:
Tzedakah money
Checkbooks
Cash
Valueable documents passports ss etc
Jewelry
Family heirlooms (some bulky silver)
Expensive Tapestries that are folded away
Expensive clothing (not so worried about this one)

I have an armorie that locks but if you pull hard enough you can open it. Where r ur clever hiding spots? I have several floors so cant an eye on her all the time—esp with kids going up and down and blaring vacuum cleaner obstructs sound sometimes.

Thanks!!

Tzedukah money not locked up. There's a lot of it because all coins from change go into bottles. I believe some people have helped themselves to it from time to time. Right now there's probably over $1000. Shabbos tzedukah money in silver cabinet with camera on it.

Checkbooks not locked up. Had someone write a check from it. Bank was not helpful because they were a commercial account.

Bulky cash in safe. Walk around cash not locked up.

Valuable documents and most jewelry in safe. The safe is built into the wall behind beams. No one is robbing that safe. Someone once stole my whole safe. I have a second Shabbos safe with a key lock.

Some weekday jewelry is left out. I probably leave too much real weekday jewelry around. Kids and DH never lock up their expensive watches and real weekday jewelry.

Tapestries in drawer in dining room - cameras in dining room.

No cameras in the bedrooms but in the hallway. I am also not so worried about clothes.

Camera obviously focused on silver.

I also had my lady for years. I trust her, but there is no reason to invite trouble. I never wear my expensive pieces when she is around. You never know who she might mention it to. I also had a nanny steal a valuable piece of jewelry.

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 7:35 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Locked file cabinet. Unfortunately I only started to do this after a few pieces of jewelry went missing... Documents and jewelry are in there. I don’t lock my silver, but I’m thinking maybe I should... Does anyone lock up their sterling silverware and other silver items?

I lock up my silver when we go out of town, or when there's someone new working alone in the house.

When I had a long term housekeeper I didn't lock up anything, but for people I don't know I definitely do.

amother
Plum

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 7:37 am
A safe.

I do trust her; the safe is for other people- potential thieves, or day workers/repairmen who may need to be in my home.

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 7:45 am
For those that give your cleaning s lady a key do you worry about meat?
When I leave a worker in the house DH always wants to make sure it’s wrspped so it’s not an issue galachicly (I trust she wouldn’t do anything).
Or what about using the kitchen without your knowledge?

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 8:02 am
I honestly don't really have anything valuable. Documents are locked in a fireproof safe. My engagements ring is the only real jewelry I own, all the rest is costume jewelry. Don't really have much silver either, just a few kiddush cups (my leichter is lucite). None of my linens are particularly exciting.

yo'ma

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 8:34 am
mommy3b2c wrote:

Me too, but I give her a key. We live in a building and we have two front doors after the downstairs door. She has the key for the door we rarely use, so we keep it locked unless I know she's coming and I won't be home. She's been working for us for over 10 years.

When we first moved here, we lived in a furnished apartment for about 3 months. We didn't really have any valuables because our things didn't come yet. Anyway, we had a cleaning lady, a different one. She also cleaned my in laws house. We stopped having her come to us when she stole a lot of money from my in laws. They of course wasn't able to prove it. One day while waiting for my kids to come off the camp bus, she saw me and asked if she can come back. Of course the answer was no, but she was wearing a jacket she stole from me. I had no idea that it was missing because I never wore it because it never fit me. It was obvious mine because I bought it in a store she never would have gone in a million years, it was in the states.

studying_torah

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 8:43 am
My former help , who was great with my kids also stole a lot of items. Just because they're reliable with kids doesn't mean they won't steal what they can.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics