Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Keeping food warm

MiriFr

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 4:17 pm
I usually keep my Friday night food warm on top of my crockpot. We got invited out this week for shabbos day, so I am not making cholent (no crockpot this week).
How do I keep my Friday night food warm? I dint want to keep my oven on the entire shabbos, and I dont have a hot plate.

allthingsblue

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 4:32 pm
I sometimes keepfood in the oven until just before shabbos, and turn off the often right before I light candles (make sure no light will turn on if you open the oven door). If you have a warming drawer, that's another option.

dankbar

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 4:39 pm
You don't have a blech?

You can wrap the soup in a blanket

Some oven automatically shut off after 12 hrs.
If you put into oven that have oven timer it will shut off at that time but might ring when done continuosly.
If your oven light goes on when you open the oven door you need to keep the oven light on a whole time that way it won't light up when door is opened

thunderstorm

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 4:43 pm
I put my oven on Shabbos mode and set it to stay on for three hours from the zman. The oven then shuts off on its own after three hours.

MiriFr

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 4:48 pm
dankbar wrote:
You don't have a blech?

You can wrap the soup in a blanket

Some oven automatically shut off after 12 hrs.
If you put into oven that have oven timer it will shut off at that time but might ring when done continuosly.
If your oven light goes on when you open the oven door you need to keep the oven light on a whole time that way it won't light up when door is opened

I dont have a blech. I have an electric oven and stovetop, and it doesnt automatically shut off. It's also expensive to keep it running for 25 hours.
No lights, no bells.

MiriFr

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 4:49 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
I sometimes keepfood in the oven until just before shabbos, and turn off the often right before I light candles (make sure no light will turn on if you open the oven door). If you have a warming drawer, that's another option.

The food doesnt overcook/get dry?

allthingsblue

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 4:50 pm
MiriFr wrote:
The food doesnt overcook/get dry?

No. (That obviously depends on what you're serving.)

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 5:02 pm
Put your chicken soup in the crockpot, the rest of your food on top of the crockpot. Have the crockpot set on a shabbos timer so it goes off tonight after the meal.

MiriFr

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 5:07 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Put your chicken soup in the crockpot, the rest of your food on top of the crockpot. Have the crockpot set on a shabbos timer so it goes off tonight after the meal.

Love that! Doing this.
Thanks everyone!

dankbar

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 6:48 pm
RA mom always to the rescue

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 6:50 pm
Enjoy and good shabbos! Smile

chicco

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 6:56 pm
allthingsblue wrote:

I do this every week with great results. I heat my food for an hour before shabbos, and then turn the oven off before lighting. It is perfect when my DH comes home from shul.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note