Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Shtisel's "Ruchami" will play Devorah Feldman in Unorthodox
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 7:55 am
Jerusalem Post Israel News
SHIRA HAAS CAST IN NETFLIX FILM ABOUT WOMAN LEAVING ULTRA-ORTHODOXY
Shooting on the project in Yiddish and English has already begun in Berlin
BY AMY SPIRO MAY 22, 2019 03:13
1 minute read.

Israeli actress Shira Haas (The Zookeeper’s Wife, Shtisel) has been cast as the star of an upcoming Netflix series about a woman who leaves her New York hassidic upbringing for secular life in Berlin.

The show, titled Unorthodox, was announced in February and is based in part on Deborah Feldman’s 2012 memoir Unorthodox: The Scandalous Rejection of My Hasidic Roots.

Deadline reported on Tuesday that production on the mini-series is already underway in Berlin, and that it is being directed by Maria Schrader, the star of Deutschland 83.

“I am beyond excited to take part in this unique and beautifully written TV series about a strong woman trying to find her voice against all odds,” Haas said, according to Deadline.

The cast of the miniseries is also slated to include Israeli actor Amit Rahav, and Jeff Wilbusch (Bad Banks, The Little Drummer Girl), a German-Israeli actor that grew up in an ultra-Orthodox community.

Haas will portray the character inspired by Feldman, a woman born into a Satmar hassidic community in Brooklyn who entered an arranged marriage as a teenager. Feldman left the community at age 20 and got a degree in literature before settling in Berlin, where her native tongue of Yiddish helped her pick up the language.

Variety reported earlier this year that Unorthodox will feature dialogue in both English and Yiddish.

Haas is a well-known actor in Israel, and has started in an impressive slate of TV and film projects both in Israel and abroad.

She portrayed the character of Ruchami Weiss – the daughter of an ultra-Orthodox couple in Jerusalem – in the hit series Shtisel, which was picked up by Netflix last year.

Unorthodox is expected to hit the streaming service at some point in 2020.

https://www.jpost.com/Israel-N.....UIII0

Will the inaccuracies and the exaggerations in the book, remain in the film?

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 8:49 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Jerusalem Post Israel News
SHIRA HAAS CAST IN NETFLIX FILM ABOUT WOMAN LEAVING ULTRA-ORTHODOXY
Shooting on the project in Yiddish and English has already begun in Berlin
BY AMY SPIRO MAY 22, 2019 03:13
1 minute read.

Israeli actress Shira Haas (The Zookeeper’s Wife, Shtisel) has been cast as the star of an upcoming Netflix series about a woman who leaves her New York hassidic upbringing for secular life in Berlin.

The show, titled Unorthodox, was announced in February and is based in part on Deborah Feldman’s 2012 memoir Unorthodox: The Scandalous Rejection of My Hasidic Roots.

Deadline reported on Tuesday that production on the mini-series is already underway in Berlin, and that it is being directed by Maria Schrader, the star of Deutschland 83.

“I am beyond excited to take part in this unique and beautifully written TV series about a strong woman trying to find her voice against all odds,” Haas said, according to Deadline.

The cast of the miniseries is also slated to include Israeli actor Amit Rahav, and Jeff Wilbusch (Bad Banks, The Little Drummer Girl), a German-Israeli actor that grew up in an ultra-Orthodox community.

Haas will portray the character inspired by Feldman, a woman born into a Satmar hassidic community in Brooklyn who entered an arranged marriage as a teenager. Feldman left the community at age 20 and got a degree in literature before settling in Berlin, where her native tongue of Yiddish helped her pick up the language.

Variety reported earlier this year that Unorthodox will feature dialogue in both English and Yiddish.

Haas is a well-known actor in Israel, and has started in an impressive slate of TV and film projects both in Israel and abroad.

She portrayed the character of Ruchami Weiss – the daughter of an ultra-Orthodox couple in Jerusalem – in the hit series Shtisel, which was picked up by Netflix last year.

Unorthodox is expected to hit the streaming service at some point in 2020.

https://www.jpost.com/Israel-N.....UIII0

The book was a memoir. Feldmans feelings, beliefs and memiroes are he own and it is unfair to call them inaccuracies and exaggerations. The book is HER reality.

leah233

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 8:54 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Of course they will. With some added.

As Isaac Bashevis Singer (of all people!) once put it.

'Those type of books aren't literature and there should be little interest in them. They only exist becuase they provide the writer and readers validation for their own lifestyles."

dankbar

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 9:04 am
Such a chillul Hashem. I never read the book, but I did know her irl growing up. I wouldn't take anything she wrote as face value, because she didn't grow up in a normal stable family so whatever she wrote doesn't reflect mainstream families or chassidus in any way. Also she started out in a more modern school then changed over to Satmar school, so maybe she felt misplaced.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 9:21 am
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
The book was a memoir. Feldmans feelings, beliefs and memiroes are he own and it is unfair to call them inaccuracies and exaggerations. The book is HER reality.

Well, when she writes stories in there about incidents that "supposedly" happened to people other than herself, and the facts of that are purely made up then they are innacuracies and exaggerations.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 9:27 am
I don't know if I would call it a chillul Hashem. I don't know if they are going to portray this woman's experience as being typical of Orthodox Jewish life, or if this is going to show it as an exception.

Who would watch a movie about a contenet wife who makes kugel, has 5.3 kids, and works part time? That would be like watching paint dry. There has to be some drama, or else there's nothing to write about.

I do think that Haas is a stunningly talented actress, and I'd like to see what she does with the role.

Is this a shanda for the g0yim? That remains to be seen.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 9:29 am
As a PSA and FYI, there are already threads on Unorthodox. Though they might well be locked.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 9:30 am
I was raised in a frum chassidish boro park family and I have raised children the same way. My married children are bh following in the same vein. At the same time I can empathize with Feldman who was not fortunate as I was to have 2 parent loving mainstream family raising me. Her expressions of pain are true because she feels the pain. As unpleasant and embarrassing as it is that she exposes to the public eye the ugliness she experienced or perceived-we still should take the high road and not inflict more attacks on this pained and broken soul.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 9:32 am
leah233 wrote:
Of course they will. With some added.

As Isaac Bashevis Singer (of all people!) once put it.

'Those type of books aren't literature and there should be little interest in them. They only exist becuase they provide the writer and readers validation for their own lifestyles."

I have to disagree. One of my sisters is OTD and she said she'd never read such a book because she doesnt believe in trashing the frum community. Just because one doesn't like certain traditions, lifestyles etc. One doesn't have to trash it in front of the world. Most people just leave and get on with their lives. I find it very petty and immature that miss Feldman has the need to let the whole world read her emotional diary or whatever.
How pathetic is it to talk about how many men you slept with? She could sleep with 1 million men or women or gender neutral people and just be quiet about it.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 9:37 am
dankbar wrote:
Such a chillul Hashem. I never read the book, but I did know her irl growing up. I wouldn't take anything she wrote as face value, because she didn't grow up in a normal stable family so whatever she wrote doesn't reflect mainstream families or chassidus in any way. Also she started out in a more modern school then changed over to Satmar school, so maybe she felt misplaced.

So you don't believe her because she didn't grow up in a "normal" household? That is sad that a child of divorce is being punished like this and is being dismissed over something she had no control over. Even sadder because so many families are dysfunctional but the parents don't divorce (presumably because they don't want their kids to face the biases and prejudices that people like you have) but you would accept their words because it "looks" like they come from stable families since they can hide it behind doors. What a superficial world you live in where you make your decisions based on how things look instead of going deeper and seeing how things really are. No wonder so many chasidim live double lives, as long as they "dress" the part in public they can do whatever they want in private since its all about superficial exteriors. Sad.

pause

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 9:39 am
Feldman's book is full of inaccuracies and misleading statements. She doesn't only relate her experience. She writes her memories while providing contextual explanations for those who aren't familiar with a chassidish Orthodox lifestyle. Those general explanations are stated as universal facts, when in truth, they are not. Her book with its dramatic I'm-here-to-shock-you tone is more similar to an expose than a memoir .

(Besides which, the book is poorly written.)

yo'ma

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 10:04 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

This really rubbed me the wrong way. Anyone else?

Mevater

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 11:26 am
yo'ma wrote:
This really rubbed me the wrong way. Anyone else?

And how.

I thought after having acted in Shtisel, a kind and fair portrayal of the Charedi community, a Chiloni actress would develop a soft-er spot for Charedim.

That clearly didnt happen with this actress.

dankbar

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 12:20 pm
I am not saying she didn't go through a painful childhood. I am not shunning her because her parents divorced. She seems to paint the entire chassidish lifestyle with the brush that painted hers. For people not familiar with this lifestyle, they take her book as the statement of chassidish life which is not all true, in general.

amother
Mint

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 1:40 pm
Mevater wrote:
And how.

I thought after having acted in Shtisel, a kind and fair portrayal of the Charedi community, a Chiloni actress would develop a soft-er spot for Charedim.

That clearly didnt happen with this actress.

My thoughts exactly

crust

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 1:52 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
I was raised in a frum chassidish boro park family and I have raised children the same way. My married children are bh following in the same vein. At the same time I can empathize with Feldman who was not fortunate as I was to have 2 parent loving mainstream family raising me. Her expressions of pain are true because she feels the pain. As unpleasant and embarrassing as it is that she exposes to the public eye the ugliness she experienced or perceived-we still should take the high road and not inflict more attacks on this pained and broken soul.

I understand your point.

It becomes difficult to feel for a broken soul when she can't keep herself quiet for the sake of her child.

How does she think her child will feel with all this [negative] publicity?

When are these broken souls ever held accountable for their actions?

At which point does their own flesh and blood start to matter?

When do they take their own experiences and say I will make sure my child IS protected?
Its enough that I wasn't protected! Now, as an adult I will make sure history doesn't repeat itself, in whichever version.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 2:39 pm
Crust, you bring up some very excellent points. Especially about her child. As if teenagers don't have enough to be embarrassed about with normal parents. Rolling Eyes

I do hope that the general public can separate fact from fiction. Anyone who thinks "This person says this, therefore all people are exactly like that." shows a huge lack of imagination.

It's like if you're watching TV shows about doctors, and then you have to go to the ER for real - you wonder why 12 people aren't rushing to be by your side! (And you also wonder why they aren't as good looking as the ones on TV. Wink ) Nobody shows you sitting in the waiting room for 10 hours, while you're nursing a broken arm.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 3:47 pm
How is Deborah Feldman's ex doing? Has he remarried?

Im not looking for details, only whats publicly known in his community.

sequoia

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 3:51 pm
You guys honestly think she should have rejected the role? On principle?

Actors play all sorts of characters, including thieves and murderers. It’s their job. It’s their craft. And yet this one particular role should be so beyond the pale that Shira Haas should have refused it? Just because she was in Shtisel?

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 4:14 pm
sequoia wrote:
You guys honestly think she should have rejected the role? On principle?

Actors play all sorts of characters, including thieves and murderers. It’s their job. It’s their craft. And yet this one particular role should be so beyond the pale that Shira Haas should have refused it? Just because she was in Shtisel?

No she shouldnt have rejected the role, but her statement quoted in my OP sounds anti-Charedi to me. Like everyone in the community besides Deborah is at fault, and Deborah is the strong heroine who valiantly fights, shows them up for what they are, and outshines them all.
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics