Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
How late will you call someone? How early?
1  2  Next

Motek

Post Sun, Aug 21 2005, 11:02 am
The phone rang the other night at 11:20 p.m. I was up anyway and answered the phone. It was a call for my husband, who was up anyway. No emergency. Just a call for some information from someone who is an aquaintance.

I think calling at that hour is unacceptable UNLESS you KNOW that the person you are calling thinks it's fine.

Ditto for the early a.m.

I think you can reasonably make a call in the evening until 10:00 for sure, quite possibly until 10:30. Beyond that, you have to know the people.

As for the a.m. I think calls should wait until 8:45- 9:00 a.m. unless you know it's okay to call earlier.

What do you think? (I didn't make a poll because there are too many possibilities and varied situations)

hisorerus

Post Sun, Aug 21 2005, 11:05 am
I don't call people before 8:00 am, or past 10:30. We do get calls here till 1 in the morning sometimes, but that's cuz people know us!

Tefila

Post Sun, Aug 21 2005, 11:07 am
Quote:
I think you can reasonably make a call in the evening until 10:00 for sure, quite possibly until 10:30. Beyond that, you have to know the people

Yep I agree.... totaly Exclamation
and
Morning most people I cannot call b/4 9:30 - 10:00am and if it's sunday 4 sure not b/4 12:00 shock
Me u can call from 7:00 am can't promise I'll answer Twisted Evil
And at night till 12:00pm is fine on one phone not the other so don't get ideas here anyone Twisted Evil

sarahd

Post Sun, Aug 21 2005, 11:14 am
People call my husband at the craziest hours - they have no shame at all calling (on business!!) at midnight. Then I have a friend who has no compunctions calling me at 7:15 AM...she knows I'm up anyhow because of the baby, so it's okay to call, isn't it? My husband goes ballistic when she does this. Besides I have to get ready for work at that time, so I'm not really free.

Personally, I hate to call people after 10:00 or maximum 10:15, and never before 8:30 in the morning. But I am sorely tempted to call this friend once at 6:00 AM.

technic

Post Sun, Aug 21 2005, 11:25 am
GO 4 IT!!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil - but dont say I sent u Wink

baby's mom

Post Sun, Aug 21 2005, 11:35 am
we turn the ringer off, so ppple wont wake us up.. Very Happy
but 10:00-night (I would even say 9:30 pm)
and morning not b/4 9....

nicole81

Post Sun, Aug 21 2005, 11:35 am
this reminds me of about 2 weeks ago when my husband's cell rang at 2:15am. it woke me up but the call had stopped ringing by the time I got to it. it took a lot to suppress my desire to call this friend back screaming my head off. my husband told me the next day he had called him back and all he wanted to know was "what's up" and "what are you up to now?" at 2am??!?!?! this is the same guy that called my hubby to hang out every night when we were married for 2 whole weeks. some people just do not get it.

as for myself, I call people with kids after 9, people without after 10. and I make phonecalls until about 10:30pm.

Motek

Post Sun, Aug 21 2005, 12:14 pm
not quite the topic but close enough - when I was engaged, my mother told me to keep in mind that calling a woman around shkia (sunset) time may not be a good idea (since she can be distracted from doing a hefsek tahara)

and I also shut my phone or can't hear it in my bedroom - I have never understood the point in calling someone and waking them up, to tell them either a mazal tov or (G-d forbid) terrible news. Why ruin their night's sleep unless they can actually do something at that hour?

not to mention wrong numbers ... who needs those waking you up?

lucky

Post Sun, Aug 21 2005, 12:29 pm
My friends and family know not to call after 10:00 p.m.

I have one family member that calls at 6:30 in the evening just when I am serving supper. I keep trying to hint that my husband just came home and I'm serving supper,but she still keeps on calling.or she calls at 8:30 morning when I am busy sending the kids off to school.

Rochel Leah

Post Sun, Aug 21 2005, 12:35 pm
Quote:
I think calling at that hour is unacceptable UNLESS you KNOW that the person you are calling thinks it's fine.

Ditto for the early a.m.

I think you can reasonably make a call in the evening until 10:00 for sure, quite possibly until 10:30. Beyond that, you have to know the people.

As for the a.m. I think calls should wait until 8:45- 9:00 a.m. unless you know it's okay to call earlier

Completly agree.

baby's mom

Post Sun, Aug 21 2005, 12:56 pm
lucky wrote:

I have one family member that calls at 6:30 in the evening just when I am serving supper. I keep trying to hint that my husband just came home and I'm serving supper,but she still keeps on calling.or she calls at 8:30 morning when I am busy sending the kids off to school.

Do u have caller ID?? Thats one reason we got it... Wink

RedVines

Post Sun, Aug 21 2005, 1:32 pm
This recently happened when my SIL called on a thurs. at 11:30 p.m my DH heard it-I did not. So he decided to return the faver and call her cell at 6:30 (her time) She got really upset bec. her reasoning for calling was that I am usually up cooking for shabbos. But we are enforcing the rule of 10p.m NO LATER!

People also dont get our time difference, so friends/family on the east coast will call us soooo early in the a.m uch!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tovah

Post Sun, Aug 21 2005, 1:55 pm
10 am
10 pm

lucky

Post Sun, Aug 21 2005, 2:50 pm
baby's mom wrote:
lucky wrote:

Do u have caller ID?? Thats one reason we got it... Wink

I just got caller ID this month.
But I am worried about my children picking up on it that I have no patience to certain people/pests. I would not want my pre teens to hear me say"ah it's only HER, I am not picking up the phone now"

Rivka

Post Sun, Aug 21 2005, 3:28 pm
I call between 9am - 10pm unless it's motzei shabbos and if it's someone in my fam coz non of us go to sleep before midnight...I love it when people call me, and generally people from the US I tell them to call up till 12am.
I don't mind it, but I do mind when someone calls me ded late at 11pm and it's for the people who lived in this place 5 years ago. That really annoys me, if they are so friendly and can call them at that time then why don't they know their number???????

technic

Post Sun, Aug 21 2005, 3:32 pm
nah, its bcos theyve waited 5 yrs 2 call and they cant wait ONE SECOND longer Exclamation

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Sun, Aug 21 2005, 11:40 pm
I never call a/one before 9 am, unless they told me that it's ok.
I speak to a loooooot of friends, s/times till 3 am, but with permission of course, generally speaking, I don't call random ppl after 10:15-10:30.

ElTam

Post Mon, Aug 22 2005, 4:37 am
I do not call before 9 a.m. or after 9 p.m.

Post Mon, Aug 22 2005, 9:55 am
one of my relatives called us at 6:30am last week. I was ready to.....! he had been up all night (not sure why ) and wasn't sure which brachos he could say in davening so he wanted to ask my husband!
if s/o has young kids, then I assume they're up by 8:30. but my sister, even with young kids, stays in bed till 10:00, so I don't call her unless I want to talk to my nieces.
we always have the phone ringer in our bedroom off, and the other phone's ringer is low enough that it won't wake me up in the middle of the night.

proudmom

Post Mon, Aug 22 2005, 11:27 am
I dont call anyone before 10:30 a.m or after 10:00 PM. Family is a different story.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics