Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
14 year old girl with no summer plans
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Black

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 12:49 pm
Those jobs are hard to come by these days. And usually go to a girl with major pull. Like the daughter or relative of a head etc

amother
Red

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 12:50 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
I see, thanks.
OP, The YC enrollment site hands out a listing of companies who are seeking YC employees.
Your sister could also contact hospitals if she would be interested in a volunteer position at a hospital, as well as collect YC payment.

Not for 14-15 y olds this year. Seems like they are paying now only for the education component for them, not for working

amother
Red

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 12:55 pm
The filing job - only asking around will help.
How about asking clothing/accessories stores if they need any help?

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 12:57 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
Not for 14-15 y olds this year. Seems like they are paying now only for the education component for them, not for working

Really?
So all these girls who are not in camp will be working for pennies in day camps?
I don’t understand why parents put up with that.
I feel like parents should get together and demand a reasonable pay rate.

Ruchel

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 12:58 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
Unfortunately, there's not much. It makes it tough for a frum teen who doesn't enjoy working with kids. Those seem to be the only available, not to mention, acceptable, jobs....

what? no?

amother
Black

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 1:00 pm
That is the case in the U.S. in yeshivish circles. Absolutely.

amother
Red

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 1:03 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
Really?
So all these girls who are not in camp will be working for pennies in day camps?
I don’t understand why parents put up with that.
I feel like parents should get together and demand a reasonable rate pay.

This is new rule this year.
Keep in mind that if camps pay more for kids without YC, they'll raise their tuition and no parent wants that

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 1:07 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
This is new rule this year.
Keep in mind that if camps pay more for kids without YC, they'll raise their tuition and no parent wants that

No, they’ve all raised their camp fees already.
Let them scale down on the elaborate trips.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 1:09 pm
Enough is enough.
The day camps have gotten away with too much abuse of our children-no lunch breaks, not complying with YC imposed work hours...

amother
Red

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 2:07 pm
Let's be real - no camp will scale down on their trips (just how elaborate are they? Sleeping in a JCC building on the floor isn't exactly fancy).

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 2:13 pm
Comm hab/ respite for kid with special needs to integrate into a mainstream camp for the summer. The pay is minimum wage, which is much higher than any camp counselor.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 3:06 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
Let's be real - no camp will scale down on their trips (just how elaborate are they? Sleeping in a JCC building on the floor isn't exactly fancy).

The chasidish day camps all give the campers a great experience for much less money.
You’re not going to convince me that the people running the day camps are not making a nice profit.
Anyways, sorry for derailing the thread, op.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 3:12 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Teen Night Club - 7th & 8th graders
347-263-0913

I've seen other such programs advertised in past years, so keep looking through the weekly ads if you need a different location.

She'll be going into 9th grade. Would that be considered 8th grade or is she older than this age group?

Last edited by amother on Mon, Jul 08 2019, 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 3:54 pm
smileforamile wrote:
She'll be going into 9th grade. Would that be considered 8th grade or is she older than this age group?

That's considered 8th grade for camp purposes.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 3:56 pm
Maybe she can get an internship at a bakery or someone who bakes cakes/custom cookies in their house?
Maybe she can assist a busy photographer?
Maybe she can work packaging orders for a small clothing business?
She needs to take out a phone book and make some hard calls to get anything like this.

amother
White

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 5:09 pm
Can she work for a shaitelmacher? A tzadaka organization- making phone calls? Does she connect to older people? Can she volunteer for visiting the elderly?

sl18

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 5:20 pm
Tried to read through..as far as I can tell, no one mentioned tutoring..this could work well if she wouldn't mind working with someone only a grade or two younger than her, (not 15 four year olds) ..it's one on one, and she could make good money..and still have time to relax a bit since it is her vacation from school...if she gets even 3 students at once or twice a week she can make a nice amount...

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 8:07 pm
I like the idea of her being an assistant for a specialty person like an art teacher, jewelry making, etc
My daughter took a hair cutting and styling course the summer when she was 14 and she really uses it today

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 8:11 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Teen Night Club - 7th & 8th graders
347-263-0913

I've seen other such programs advertised in past years, so keep looking through the weekly ads if you need a different location.

I asked her about it. She said she really wants to work and make some money...

Last edited by amother on Mon, Jul 08 2019, 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 8:13 pm
sl18 wrote:
Tried to read through..as far as I can tell, no one mentioned tutoring..this could work well if she wouldn't mind working with someone only a grade or two younger than her, (not 15 four year olds) ..it's one on one, and she could make good money..and still have time to relax a bit since it is her vacation from school...if she gets even 3 students at once or twice a week she can make a nice amount...

Who gets a tutor during the summer?

I'm a math tutor and I can't find anyone during the summer- and that's with kids who failed the Regents and need to retake them.

Last edited by amother on Mon, Jul 08 2019, 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children