Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Effective Alternative Remedies for Chronic Ear Infections
1  2  3  Next

ShishKabob

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 11:20 am
Can you please share your most effective remedy for chronic ear infections in smaller children. Please indicate if this is for fluid in the ear or for ear infections or for busted ear drums and so on.
Please indicate how often you have to treat in order to see results and what's the story with follow up.
Thank you so much for taking the time.

Last edited by ShishKabob on Mon, May 27 2019, 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total

urban gypsy

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 11:36 am
Ear tubes.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 11:36 am
You need to take the child to an ENT to see if the child needs tubes in the ear. Frequent ear infections can cause hearing loss.

Spaghetti7

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 11:40 am
urban gypsy wrote:
Ear tubes.

Seconded.

ShishKabob

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 11:42 am
urban gypsy wrote:
Ear tubes.

Thank you for responding. I was inquiring about healing ear infections. I am aware of the route via tubes. I wanted information on alternatives.

urban gypsy

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 11:44 am
ShishKabob wrote:
Thank you for responding. I was inquiring about healing ear infections. I am aware of the route via tubes. I wanted information on alternatives.

For minor infections, St. Francis Herb Farm Ear Oil helps my kids.
But if it is a chronic problem and the kids are small, I would really not play around and get them assessed by an ENT.
I messed this up with my oldest and she had hearing problems and social delays as a result.

SuperWify

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 11:44 am
I tried a chiropractor and didn’t help. Tubes were a lifesaver.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 11:46 am
OP, if the ear infections are chronic, tubes is really the only way to go. You don't want the child's hearing to get affected.
MR drops help for healing ear infections. But please note that all natural remedies cannot be used if the ear drum ruptured.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 11:51 am
Funny story: I asked dr shanik( Lakewood pediatrician for those of you that don't live in Lakewood) if garlic oil worked against ear infections. His answer: sure if your kid smell like garlic all the time less kids will play with him and he will get sick much less often! LOL

ShishKabob

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 11:52 am
I'm aware of all these issues. Child is talking normally without delays bh. I've done tubes with another child. I wanted to see if I can clear it up with something that I haven't tried before. I'm not a die hard alternative person, I just like to see if I have other options that I didn't try yet. So thanks everyone for joining with your information.

cbsp

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 12:05 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
I'm aware of all these issues. Child is talking normally without delays bh. I've done tubes with another child. I wanted to see if I can clear it up with something that I haven't tried before. I'm not a die hard alternative person, I just like to see if I have other options that I didn't try yet. So thanks everyone for joining with your information.

Maybe see if there's an underlying issue causing the infections? We did tubes for DD but she still had infections and pain. I'd get calls daily from the school nurse and the pediatrician kept prescribing stronger antibiotics for longer courses.

Turns out she's highly allergic to dust mites. She's now on allergy meds (nasal spray and oral), gets allergy shots (which will hopefully reduce the need for meds), and we take an air purifier whenever we stay anywhere overnight. Bli Ayin Hora she did not have a single real ear infection once this past winter and this has given her ears a chance to really heal.

ShishKabob

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 12:08 pm
cbsp wrote:
Maybe see if there's an underlying issue causing the infections? We did tubes for DD but she still had infections and pain. I'd get calls daily from the school nurse and the pediatrician kept prescribing stronger antibiotics for longer courses.

Turns out she's highly allergic to dust mites. She's now on allergy meds (nasal spray and oral), gets allergy shots (which will hopefully reduce the need for meds), and we take an air purifier whenever we stay anywhere overnight. Bli Ayin Hora she did not have a single real ear infection once this past winter and this has given her ears a chance to really heal.

This is an eye opener! thanks so much

naomi2

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 12:14 pm
Garlic oil, despite one poster quoting a dr. Who mocked this idea.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 12:24 pm
We tried many things.
Chiropractor, diet (tried removing dairy and other things) and some other things
Ended up with surgery

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 12:48 pm
We had success with cranio sacral therapy. The first time we needed two sessions and then my DC childs nose was running for a week with clear liquid to drain everything. I do have to say that he is still prone to fluids in his ears and have to go for sessions again if I want to clear it.

Zehava

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 1:13 pm
We had it for around two years. Went to an ENT who wanted to remove her tonsils but gave us a medication to try first. She hasn’t had a single infection or fluid since.

YoYo

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 1:45 pm
The pediatrician I go to recommended reflexology, which apparently can help. BH my son resisted 'having his toes played with', and we ended up going for surgery for a tube (this was only one ear effected). Turns out, he had a disease named cholesteatoma, entailing a 5 hour surgery, possibly more surgery in the future and now he has a hearing aid.

Alternative methods may help, but please also verify with an ent that repeated ear infections don't have another more sinister source!

little neshamala

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 2:18 pm
When my son was young he kept getting ear infections. Non stop. Around age 2 his doctor said if he gets one more in a certain ammount of time we're going to have to put tubes.
So at that point, I finally though of trying this "garlic oil" stuff people kept telling me about. I asked the pediatrician what she thought and she shrugged "cant hurt to try".
Im not majorly into alternative remedies which is why it took me so long to give it a try. Looking back I can say I was a real idiot for not giving it a try earlier. He didnt get another ear infection for years after we started using it. Every time he would get a cold we put it in his ears to prevent the fluid from becoming an infection. His doctor was amazed. Crazy thing was we would actually see a difference in the color of his snot (sorry if TMI). Hours after giving the dose, the thick green snot would get clearer and clearer.
Absolutely amazing.
A friend of mine was going through the exact same thing and I kept begging her to just give them a try. She kept saying "im just not really into that stuff" and I kept answering "neither am I!! But try it!". Well she finally tried it 4 months ago and so far her daughter has been clear (and she never went this long of a stretch)
Not saying its magic or a cure all, and im sure there are kids it doesnt work for who truly can only be helped with tubes...but it is DEFINITELY worth a try.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 2:46 pm
shmeering some oil of oregano behind the ears can really help. the smell is like well oregano but shmeer it on before the child goes to sleep, massage it somewhat should do the trick

I also second the garlic oil...

zebra111

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 2:50 pm
2 of my kids constantly got ear infections. We got to the point that the dr recommended 4months of preventative antibiotics..at which point we went to a natural type healer. He used some drops (I dont know what they were exactly) that cleared the infection up within a day, and then recommended we keep the kids off bananas, peanuts and dairy, until around age 5 when the tubes start to straighten out a bit. Neither of them ever had an infection again.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics