Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Shortcuts
1  2  Next

Einikel

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 2:38 pm
What shortcuts do you take in the kitchen?
I use disposables to mix ingredients and then dump it.
I use disposable plates as cutting boards.

teachkids

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 2:46 pm
I use disposables a lot.
Premade sauces as bases. Frozen veggies that come already cut up.
I cook a lot at once to have leftovers.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 2:49 pm
Einikel wrote:

Me too!

yksraya

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 2:51 pm
Disposables for baking.
Croc pot liners.
Roll out dough on an area covered with plastic tablecloth (wet the surface first).
I cook fish in a disposable pan.

Simple1

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 2:53 pm
I recently discovered that I can buy a container of peeled garlic for less than $1.50 to use in my Shabbos cooking. Then I put the leftover garlic in a tiny pan with olive oil and salt, covered and roasted, and then mashed to use as a garlic dip.

Last edited by Simple1 on Mon, May 27 2019, 2:56 pm; edited 3 times in total

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 2:53 pm
Einikel wrote:

The plastic is going to dull your knives. You are better off with wood as it is better for the knives.

That being said, I use vegetable bags to coat cutlets. I use the box the eggs came in to hold the cracked shells instead of them messing my counter.

oneofakind

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 2:55 pm
Gallon sized zip lock bags for mixing cooky or kugel batter-zip it and mush from the outside. don't put in too much batter or you won't be able to mix it well.

aricelli

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 3:10 pm
Cook pasta in a 9x13. Pierce holes on the bottom of the pan to drain water. Thanks “country” friend!

thunderstorm

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 3:14 pm
Squishy wrote:
The plastic is going to dull your knives. You are better off with wood as it is better for the knives.

That being said, I use vegetable bags to coat cutlets. I use the box the eggs came in to hold the cracked shells instead of them messing my counter.

I do the same with the eggs. The other day I had left the carton of eggs on the counter so that DH could make his eggs when he was interested in eating. He must've not noticed all the eggshells in the carton , made his eggs and put a carton of eggshells back in the fridge for me to discover the next morning.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 3:15 pm
I toss salads with their dressing in ziploc challah bags. They are bigger than freezer bags and distribute the ingredients evenly when I shake it up. Then I open the ziploc and pour it straight into the salad bowl and serve.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 3:22 pm
Some of my favorites are here already.
I love plastic bags - for storing marinated or other salads, mixing things, and more. I use zipper bags and also the bread/produce bags. If I want to spread a cake batter neatly I open a produce bag and spread it over the batter, and smooth the batter down.

Einikel

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 4:28 pm
aricelli wrote:
Cook pasta in a 9x13. Pierce holes on the bottom of the pan to drain water. Thanks “country” friend!

Love this idea!

mom!

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 5:04 pm
When a recipe calls for boiling a sauce, I make sure to use a disposable pan instead of a pot.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 6:23 pm
Butcher the salmon.

(If this were a thread title...hello Mafia Euphemisms and Rock Band threads!)
I don't know if this is a real shortcut but it streamlines erev yom tov.
Salmon is often sold in large fillets of 2-2.5 lbs. If someone's having a crowd or doing a buffet, it's lovely to cook as is. But I'm not. I buy the salmon, freeze for about six hours, pull off the skin (since family doesn't care for it) and slice about every 1.25 inches. I put half away for Shavuos night, and cut the rest of those slices into cubes for an appetizer for another meal.

Later tonight be"H I'll be slicing some chicken breasts, freezing between layers of plastic, then I can put into zipper bags and take out as needed. Sometimes I've prepped with coating and then frozen in single layers to take out as needed.

nicole81

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 6:38 pm
I buy the prewashed, checked, and chopped up veggies and herbs for my soup since my family likes them like that in the soup. They're super expensive, relatively speaking (about $10 for what would cost maybe $2 whole and I buy 2 of them per pot), but putting up 20 quarts of soup in under 2 minutes is priceless.

nicole81

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 6:41 pm
I also make my cholent in a 9x13 in the oven. No more hard to clean crockpot, plus my family likes it better!

cnc

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 7:19 pm
nicole81 wrote:
I also make my cholent in a 9x13 in the oven. No more hard to clean crockpot, plus my family likes it better!

I used to do this and loved the taste. It’s much better than a pot (which is how I usually make it).
Thanks for the reminder!

nicole81

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 7:36 pm
For an easy shabbat dessert, I have my hubby or a kid mix up a Duncan heinz cake mix (foolproof), let them throw in whatever they want, like chocolate chips, nuts, sprinkles, etc, and make it in a bundt pan. It's easier and neater than making a cake from scratch, and when served as a bundt with a glaze or even just confectioners sugar sprinkled on top, the wow factor is majorly upped 😁

Disclaimer--I, myself, do not make boxed cakes! But I'm also happy to take a break from making dessert here and there!

amother
Puce

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 7:40 pm
multiple sets of measuring cups and measuring spoons that are dishwasher safe. makes making supper so much easier since you don't need to handwash in between ingredients.- (and you can buy them in the dollar store!).

maze

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 8:42 pm
aricelli wrote:

You cook this in the oven or on the stove?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen