Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Do I pay for time sitting in driveway?

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 9:19 am
I asked my housekeeper to come at 7:30 today. She usually comes at 9 but she didn’t come yesterday and she can’t stay later than 1:00 so this was the only way to get e tea cleaning time.
She was not here at 7:30. I usually leave with my kids for school 7:35 but I waited until 7:45 for her. When she still wasn’t here we left and I messaged her explaining that I had to leave and would be back 8:45.
She messaged me 2-3 minutes later that she arrived and would wAit for me.
She knows I take my kids to school in the morning. I don’t think she could have had any expectations that I’d stay in the house all morning waiting for her.
Am I supposed to pay her for the almost hour she sat in my driveway? She’s paid hourly.

WhatFor

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 9:24 am
If she's a good housekeeper and this sounds like a one time incident, pay her regardless of who is in the right or wrong. Good help is hard to find; don't be nitpicky and ruin your relationship over one hour.

MitzadSheini

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 9:34 am
For next time -

In this situation (variations of which happen frequently here ) I would have called, asked how far she was away, and made an arrangement that she let herself in. Eg leave the door unlocked for.a short time (with a burglar alarm on that she has a separate code for that could be traced in the unlikely event that she let herself in when I wasn't expecting) or by leaving a key with a neighbor.

For now-

I'd pay now if I hadn't organized her to let herself in

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 12:03 pm
You're right. Glad I asked. I often get caught up on being right and the principle of things rather than what's smart.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette