Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Anyone ever dealt with bills from health insurance

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 2:02 pm
Been getting a bill for 2 years from hospital because claim was denied by health insurance. I spoke to health insurance and they said it should be covered; it must have been billed wrong. This has been going back and forth for 2 years (bill is thousands of dollars, for a birth). Spoke to the hospital and insurance, and we are going in circles. Any advice?

BatyaEsther

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 2:06 pm
Conference call them in together.
Also, always make sure that you keep a log of all conversations and everyone you speak to.

Monsey 10952

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 2:54 pm
If they call you to court you will have to pay it.

I has a similar story and I made a deal with the hospital.

nchr

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 2:55 pm
Negotiate with the hospital or submit the claim to the insurance company on your own, using the proper codes.

BH5745

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 5:27 pm
Monsey 10952 wrote:
If they call you to court you will have to pay it.

I has a similar story and I made a deal with the hospital.

Not necessarily. This depends upon the State where you were treated. And what's the statue of limitations in that case regarding hospital debt.

BH5745

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 5:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Been getting a bill for 2 years from hospital because claim was denied by health insurance. I spoke to health insurance and they said it should be covered; it must have been billed wrong. This has been going back and forth for 2 years (bill is thousands of dollars, for a birth). Spoke to the hospital and insurance, and we are going in circles. Any advice?

At some point the debt 'expires,' based upon the statute of limitations in your State, and the hospital write off the bill. They might really push you to pay as that date approaches... For your own best interests you might want to consult a medical attorney in your State to assist you with how best to proceed.

esuss

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 5:39 pm
I would first try calling the insurance company again go have it processed but don't speak with the first person that answers. Tell them you have been trying to get it reprocessed for a long time without success and you need to speak with a supervisor or manager.
After that there is also a consumer protection agency in all state governments. Contact them with as much information as you have they may be able to help you as well.

ectomorph

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 5:43 pm
We have done this so many times.

Call call call call call call call call call call call call call .

Write down the name of whoever speaks to you. Have a log of each call and what they say. Ask to speak to a superviser.

Prepare a short statement describing the problem that you can read off of so you dont miss any details.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 6:51 pm
Ask to speak to a supervisor. Tell them that you had x number of conversations with them and it hasn't been reprocessed. Ask that it be reprocessed in the next 24-48 hours or you are reporting them to the state insurance commission, congressman, and/or state attorney general. Get a direct phone number for the supervisor and say that you will be calling for an update in 24 hours. It worked for me after 6 months of denial.

Contact your congressman. Worked for me after 1.5 years of denial. Hatzlocha. Insurance companies are horrible to deal with.

tweety1

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 7:59 pm
I was in such a situation a few yrs ago. There's a govt something that's on top of insurance claims. Like public service commision for telephone companies etc , theres one such claims. I don't remember if it's hospital claims or they're on top of insurance. Then I knew. I had done research and found them.
My insurance claimed that it's illegal for me to get billed if I have insurance and hospital I don't remember what their excuse was. So I threatened that I'll involve ABC if it doesn't get resolved. That's the only thing that worked. I also researched my rights and let the hospital know that I know exactly what my rights are and made sure they know it too.
Dont threaten court its an empty threat . Another option is, You might wanna let it go to collections and then call the collection agency with your insurance info. I did that once instead of putting up a fight.

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 11:22 pm
My advice in these situations is to email or otherwise memorialize your calls. Persistence gets these problems solved. It's relatively easy to ignore a phone call. It's progressively harder with each written communication.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 8:48 am
BH5745 wrote:
At some point the debt 'expires,' based upon the statute of limitations in your State, and the hospital write off the bill. They might really push you to pay as that date approaches... For your own best interests you might want to consult a medical attorney in your State to assist you with how best to proceed.

Just as a warning, it's six years in NY. It will probably be sent to collections (I'm surprised it hasn't been already) and ruin your credit before then.

tweety1

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 7:18 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
Just as a warning, it's six years in NY. It will probably be sent to collections (I'm surprised it hasn't been already) and ruin your credit before then.

I had mine go to collections. If you pay on the collections it doesn't affect your credit. It didn't mine. It did not show up on my credit report. In this case, she wouldn't pay them just give them her insurance info which I did.
I can write a book with hospital bills I acquired over the yrs bet myself and my kids.

pizza4

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 7:24 pm
I just got something in the mail from my insurance saying that an ingredient in a vaccine my child had wasnt covered! Not to derail but I thought that was so strange.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics