Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Peeves about your HS
1  2  Next

amother

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 3:46 pm
school was a looooooooong time ago but wenever I think about it I feel arrrrrrgghhhhh. there were just some things that really irked me about my school. I'm over it now. just curious: what did you hate about your hs?

gigi

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 3:49 pm
I used to sneak out and skip periods and explore the wood behind the school.
one day I came upon a corral with horses... Smile
so I used to visit them every day.
but then they found out and yelled at me Exploding anger

gigi

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 3:50 pm
and I hated uniforms I'd do anything not to wear my uniform

suomynona

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 4:11 pm
Secular education was on a low level, and school just wasn't taken seriously by anyone.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 4:12 pm
my mother taught me not to think about things that are upsetting, specially if I can't change them.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 4:30 pm
my school was very small one teacher who her husband was rosh
yeshivah of another school was very nasty

louche

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 10:04 pm
Nothing. I loved my HS. I'd have sent my own dd there if it had been nearby and if it were still today what it was in my day, which I doubt.

Clarissa

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 10:14 pm
My high school, which was a public school, was amazing. In addition to the usual courses (chemistry, geometry, history, etc.) there were all these electives, like Anthropology, Sociology, Poetry, Minority Literature, Early Childhood Education, Creative Writing, Science Fiction, Russian, Chinese, Latin, Sculpture, Life Drawing,...the list could go on and on. There was a huge array of afterschool clubs available as well, like journalism, philosophy, photography and so many more. The library was incredible, and I practically lived there.

There were two negatives. One is obvious -- having to go elsewhere for anything Jewish.

The other was that it was a really big school, so there really was this division between groups of friends. You always sat with certain kids at lunch, you mostly hung out with your own friends during free time. Not the kind of "everyone knows everyone" that my son has it his small, private school.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 10:17 pm
Quote:
my mother taught me not to think about things that are upsetting, specially if I can't change them.

its ok for things to bother us. its natural. its how we deal with them that matters.

shanie5

Post Thu, Dec 20 2007, 11:23 pm
amother wrote:
Quote:

its ok for things to bother us. its natural. its how we deal with them that matters.

and cm's mom had a good way of dealing w/ them.it sounds to me like its "let go, and look at the good u have"

MrsLeo

Post Fri, Dec 21 2007, 1:49 am
My High School was pretty much a popularity contest. If you were popular you got everything and if you werent (like me) you were doomed.

leomom

Post Fri, Dec 21 2007, 2:36 am
Clarissa wrote:
My high school, which was a public school, was amazing. In addition to the usual courses (chemistry, geometry, history, etc.) there were all these electives, like Anthropology, Sociology, Poetry, Minority Literature, Early Childhood Education, Creative Writing, Science Fiction, Russian, Chinese, Latin, Sculpture, Life Drawing,...the list could go on and on. There was a huge array of afterschool clubs available as well, like journalism, philosophy, photography and so many more. The library was incredible, and I practically lived there.

There were two negatives. One is obvious -- having to go elsewhere for anything Jewish.

The other was that it was a really big school, so there really was this division between groups of friends. You always sat with certain kids at lunch, you mostly hung out with your own friends during free time. Not the kind of "everyone knows everyone" that my son has it his small, private school.

Clarissa, your school sounds like mine (also a big public school in a wealthy suburb - I'm guessing yours fits that description too?). I loved choosing my classes and electives from the syllabus each year, and fitting my schedule together like a puzzle to get the free periods I wanted (so I could come to school late some days... and leave early on others...)! In some ways it was almost like college, actually. And we had a lot of freedom. We could go off campus for lunch and free periods, etc. I felt very respected and responsible.

The big downside was the untznius social scene. But people took their classes very seriously, and I have to say I got a top-notch secular education there.

amother

Post Fri, Dec 21 2007, 2:42 am
students from "less frum" (aka MO) backgrounds were treated terribly by the faculty and students alike, as if we were apikorsim for wanting to know why...
no hashkafa was taught till 12th grade- until then it was "do it or you'll burn...)

Zus

Post Fri, Dec 21 2007, 4:37 am
Now I need to think hard and deep. Hmmmm. I really loved my school.
Oh yeah I've got one. It wasn't so bad in my class, at least not towards the end, but in general it was all very clique-y. It was actually the local jewish community on a small scale, because there it was exactly like that.
So if you hadn't been with the same group starting from preschool (or sometimes even before), you were not accepted.
I used to live outside the city until I was 9, so I only joined them in 3rd grade, and by then it was already too late. Sad

Ruchel

Post Fri, Dec 21 2007, 11:07 am
Being the only frum Jew, if not the only Jew in the class.
Having to bring my food.

amother

Post Fri, Dec 21 2007, 11:46 am
gigi
sounds like you were in school in balti.

gigi

Post Fri, Dec 21 2007, 11:49 am
amother wrote:
gigi
sounds like you were in school in balti.

why?
because maryland is a horse state? What

amother

Post Fri, Dec 21 2007, 12:37 pm
no because of the horse stable located just off campus, through the woods.

Clarissa

Post Fri, Dec 21 2007, 1:03 pm
yy wrote:
Clarissa wrote:

Clarissa, your school sounds like mine (also a big public school in a wealthy suburb - I'm guessing yours fits that description too?). I loved choosing my classes and electives from the syllabus each year, and fitting my schedule together like a puzzle to get the free periods I wanted (so I could come to school late some days... and leave early on others...)! In some ways it was almost like college, actually. And we had a lot of freedom. We could go off campus for lunch and free periods, etc. I felt very respected and responsible.

The big downside was the untznius social scene. But people took their classes very seriously, and I have to say I got a top-notch secular education there.

That sounds exactly like my school. I loved creating a schedule for myself, I liked adjusting things so I could have free periods at the beginning or the end of the day. I remember one semester, working it out so I'd get out really early, and I'd walk home. It was always so peaceful, walking home in the middle of the day and having time to relax. Also, we too could leave campus for lunch or just hang out outside, if the weather was nice.

As far as the wealthy community thing, ours was actually mixed (some kids from wealthy areas, some not) so it was a nice blend of kids if you wanted to meet people from outside your neighborhood or social scene.

Honestly, I had no idea how good I had it until I met my husband, and found out about all of the courses he didn't get to take because they just weren't offered at his small yeshiva. There are so many books that I consider classics that he didn't read, and that's the tip of the iceberg. Otoh, his Jewish education is so much more comprehensive than mine, so I guess there are pros and cons to everyone's situation.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Dec 21 2007, 1:22 pm
Clarissa wrote:
I had no idea how good I had it until I met my husband, and found out about all of the courses he didn't get to take because they just weren't offered at his small yeshiva. There are so many books that I consider classics that he didn't read, and that's the tip of the iceberg. Otoh, his Jewish education is so much more comprehensive than mine, so I guess there are pros and cons to everyone's situation.

soooo true.
My husband went to what is the norm for Jewish schools around here: a mix of chol and kodesh (only hardcore charedi schools offer only kodesh, and less and less people are sending to them because of the difficulty to make a living without even the bac). But for all that to fit, you have to remove "cool" classes like art, music... and they didn't really push on general culture either, like literature... oy oy. I'll have to make sure my dd is encouraged to read at home lol
But as you said, my dh's Jewish education is WOW. So yeah...

In the older generation (40+) of French rabbanim, most had a great culture level. I don't know how they did it. Some went to non Jewish school, so that's why, but others?? were schools better? or did they read on side? I wonder...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics