Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
2nd cut meat with wine

Maryann

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 10:36 am
Hi, I wanted to make the meat in a crock pot with wine
How many hours should I cook it for? High or low?
And which wine do I use?

thunderstorm

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 11:05 am
I personally did not like how my roasts tasted after cooking in a crockpot.
I prefer doing it on the stove top or the oven.

I dice about six onions and slice a head of garlic. Sautee in oil. Season the meat with salt, black pepper , garlic powder and paprika on both sides. Brown the meat on both sides (just push the onions to the side of the pot) once browned pour in about half a bottle to a bottle of Kedem cooking wine (purchased at the grocery ) either the sherry wine, red wine or white wine. I like the sherry best. Cover and simmer on a low flame for close to 3 hours. If the liquid is cooking out then add a drop more wine or water . But between the wine , onions and juices from the meat there is usually plenty of liquid to go around. After cooking separate the meat and the sauce. Refrigerate overnight. Slice the meat and rewarm in the sauce on Yom tov. I usually make this in advance and freeze after I slice the meat ,until the night before I'm serving this.

egam

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 12:01 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
I personally did not like how my roasts tasted after cooking in a crockpot.
I prefer doing it on the stove top or the oven

This ☝🏻

But if you have to use crockpot, brown the meat first before putting in in the crockpot and then deglaze the frying pan with wine and pour it over the meat.

As for wine choice, the first rule of cooking with wine is do not use wine you wouldn’t drink (aka cooking wine). There are plenty of not expensive wines that can be used, so it’s not even a money saving option. You can use Syrah, Merlot or Cabernet Sauvignon for your second cut.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 12:45 pm
egam wrote:
This ☝🏻

But if you have to use crockpot, brown the meat first before putting in in the crockpot and then deglaze the frying pan with wine and pour it over the meat.

As for wine choice, the first rule of cooking with wine is do not use wine you wouldn’t drink (aka cooking wine). There are plenty of not expensive wines that can be used, so it’s not even a money saving option. You can use Syrah, Merlot or Cabernet Sauvignon for your second cut.

I actually prefer cooking wine to real wine. I've done my roasts in Cabernet and Merlot and prefer the cheap garbage that is really like vinegar. That's why I suggested the kedem cooking wine. I liked the results better .

egam

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 1:03 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
I actually prefer cooking wine to real wine. I've done my roasts in Cabernet and Merlot and prefer the cheap garbage that is really like vinegar. That's why I suggested the kedem cooking wine. I liked the results better .

Garbage and vinegar - yes. Cheap - not really. But if you like it, who am I to say no? Very Happy

This is an excellent article on cooking with wine.
https://www.decanter.com/learn.....7369/

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 1:32 pm
egam wrote:
This ☝🏻

Second every word, especially about the wine.
Cooking wine is IMO the biggest bullsh@@. They know they can't sell it as regular wine so they brand it "cooking wine", fancy bottle and a nice label.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics