Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections
How do I pick the right fabric for a dress?

Rappel

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 11:07 am
I have an idea for a dress (someone else is doing the sewing - I'm no seamstress!), but I don't know how to choose good fabric. On the rack, it's all the same to me.

I want something breathable and strong, soft, not stretchy. A good fabric which will last through wear and tear, and which will hold its colour well.

Ideally, I would use linen, but the wrinkle factor is no small deal. The runner up is cotton.

How do you pick the quality fabric from the rubbish? And how should I measure how much to buy? Should I use different fabrics for the lining of the dress? If I want to add any kind of decoration/embroidery, does that change what I'm looking for?

Thank you in advance!

unexpected

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 11:22 am
Go to a fabric store where the person helping you is someone who knows how to sew. Do not take fabric advice from a non-sewer or a sewist who doesn't have a lot of experience with dresses. If you live in Lakewood, Stitchnsew is a great place. Ask all your questions to the person at the store and wash and dry your fabric before you hand it over to the seamstress.

Rappel

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 11:25 am
That was unexpected. Wink Thanks.

I was going to hit up the fabric store in Ariel, by I haven't a clue if the gentleman who runs it is a tailor. The next nearest places to buy fabric are in Jerusalem/Merkaz, but if I have to, then I guess I have to.

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 11:36 am
Find something you like, then open it up and drape it over your curves. The main thing is that is sits well on your body and drapes and falls the right way.

Rappel

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 11:52 am
ra_mom wrote:
Find something you like, then open it up and drape it over your curves. The main thing is that is sits well on your body and drapes and falls the right way.

I like the way you think!

Though in real life, I would feel totally awkward Smile I've never yet met a fabric store in this country which wasn't run by a male. I'll just have to hide between the racks at Nachalat Binyamin!

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 11:58 am
Rappel wrote:
I like the way you think!

Though in real life, I would feel totally awkward Smile I've never yet met a fabric store in this country which wasn't run by a male. I'll just have to hide between the racks at Nachalat Binyamin!

You can do it! Smile Take a friend if that makes if less awkward. She'll also be able to tell you if it's draping nicely in the back, because they probably don't have mirrors at the fabric store. Don't hesitate to take selfies to see further.
Good luck with the dress!

yo'ma

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 8:37 am
Rappel wrote:
I have an idea for a dress (someone else is doing the sewing - I'm no seamstress!), but I don't know how to choose good fabric. On the rack, it's all the same to me.

I want something breathable and strong, soft, not stretchy. A good fabric which will last through wear and tear, and which will hold its colour well.

Ideally, I would use linen, but the wrinkle factor is no small deal. The runner up is cotton.

How do you pick the quality fabric from the rubbish? And how should I measure how much to buy? Should I use different fabrics for the lining of the dress? If I want to add any kind of decoration/embroidery, does that change what I'm looking for?

Thank you in advance!

Cotton also creases.

If you're having it done by a seamstress, you should ask her how much you need. Fabric usually comes in two different widths and if you're using more than one, like a contrast, you have to know how much to get of each. Yes, you should use a different fabric for the dress. A lining fabric is most suitable and the people working there should know what that is. If you want to add a decoration or embroidery, the weight does matter, but if needed, depending on what you want to do, there are stiffeners to help with the weight
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics