Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Monsey Opulance
Previous  1  2

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 1:15 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I mean this rather innocently, I was in Monsey recently and I was rather awestruck by the level of opulence in the neighborhood. I mean houses were GORGEOUS, clothing stores with matching European clothes for the whole 10-kid family. We were there during a regular work day and there were lots of people around walking/jogging/strolling in the park. I'm more of a pashut'er yid and I buy my kids discount clothing at Wal Mart and Old Navy. My husband and I both work and we have no budget for half of these things. Where does the money come for this level of opulence?

Since I haven't seen manna falling from the skies in the last few years, I'm assuming this money is coming from someone that worked. Be it husband, husband and wife, parents, grandparents.

Yes there are people that just worked hard and became rich.
I know it's easier to say they became rich from stealing, government programs, quick come quick go cash, fake money, gambling.
But some people are just rich. That's the unfairness of life.

forgetit

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 1:19 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
Since I haven't seen manna falling from the skies in the last few years, I'm assuming this money is coming from someone that worked. Be it husband, husband and wife, parents, grandparents.

I know it's easier to say they became rich from stealing, government programs, quick come quick go cash, fake money, gambling.

Its easy to say, but it doesn't even make sense to me. Surely not in the long run. Maybe short term they have it easy, but that's VERY short term. And they aren't the ones building mansions or affording every luxury. At best, it save them from going under or not meeting bills in a timely manner, or breathing more easily, but you can't lead a wealthy lifestyle off govt. programs. Please do the math.
More importantly, if they don't have a normal income they can't invest anywhere and they can't get a passive income which is very important to maintain a balanced, frum lifestyle as families grow.

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 1:23 pm
forgetit wrote:
Its easy to say, but it doesn't even make sense to me. Surely not in the long run. Maybe short term they have it easy, but that's VERY short term. And they aren't the ones building mansions or affording every luxury. At best, it save them from going under or not meeting bills in a timely manner, or breathing more easily, but you can't lead a wealthy lifestyle off govt. programs. Please do the math.
More importantly, if they don't have a normal income they can't invest anywhere and they can't get a passive income which is very important to maintain a balanced, frum lifestyle as families grow.

I meant to say that others looking at wealthy people want to think that every rich person got it through those twisted means.
Make sense?

southernbubby

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 1:27 pm
nchr wrote:
For someone who buys clothing at Walmart and Old Navy almost 90%+ of the people in Monsey would be considered opulent. Buying $5-$20 outfits is not the norm in the Monsey community.

A bit off topic but I would imagine that if someone only shops in frum stores for clothing, that they buy fewer and better things than they would if their wardrobes came from Walmart.
I see neighbors who always look nice but who don't have much variety in their closets while Walmart shoppers have greater variety and more clothes but they don't look as good.

forgetit

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 1:38 pm
I meant to say that others looking at wealthy people want to think that every rich person got it through those twisted means.
Make sense?

Got you. I'm elaborating on what you wrote (re: supporting your thesis LOL )

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 1:38 pm

I get it, but is "everyone"--I'm using this term liberally, in Monsey what industries are people working in that gets to this level that you don't see in most frum places--even Brooklyn in Lakewood. I lived in NYC, but now live out of town. Yes I get that the houses in Monsey are bigger but the houses that I'm talking about still cost a million dollars--you get more for a million, but its still $1 million, then there's the custom kitchens, and furniture, and the larger heating and cooling bills for the larger house, more yard maintenance. It's the overall "lifestyle" that seems to go with it.
Here in out-of-town land where I'm not paying full tuition, live in a modest house with very small payments, have almost no furniture that I bought new and a lot of it was free/from family hand-me-downs or is "old" at this point, "small" frum family, not makpid on the most mehadrin hechsherim b/c its expensive, both parents working, most of my clothing is several years old/hand-me-downs, my husband rarely buys new clothing for himself. We don't seem to be "affording" "normal" life, but Monsey was rather "Wow". I feel like Brooklyn you see more of the 'city living" effect, and Lakewood you see more the "kollel" effect.

forgetit

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 1:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I get it, but is "everyone"--I'm using this term liberally, in Monsey what industries are people working in that gets to this level that you don't see in most frum places--even Brooklyn in Lakewood. I lived in NYC, but now live out of town. Yes I get that the houses in Monsey are bigger but the houses that I'm talking about still cost a million dollars--you get more for a million, but its still $1 million, then there's the custom kitchens, and furniture, and the larger heating and cooling bills for the larger house, more yard maintenance. It's the overall "lifestyle" that seems to go with it.
Here in out-of-town land where I'm not paying full tuition, live in a modest house with very small payments, have almost no furniture that I bought new and a lot of it was free/from family hand-me-downs or is "old" at this point, "small" frum family, not makpid on the most mehadrin hechsherim b/c its expensive, both parents working, most of my clothing is several years old/hand-me-downs, my husband rarely buys new clothing for himself. We don't seem to be "affording" "normal" life, but Monsey was rather "Wow". I feel like Brooklyn you see more of the 'city living" effect, and Lakewood you see more the "kollel" effect.

The million dollar houses you're seeing are MANSIONS. Only very well to do people live there. Your average Monsey house doesn't go for a million dollars. Which neighborhoods are you looking at?
Condos are new and very nice, but they're not a million. The more expensive ones are more expensive generally bec. they have a rental income. And taxes on condos are way less than homes.

amother
Black

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 1:52 pm
southernbubby wrote:
A bit off topic but I would imagine that if someone only shops in frum stores for clothing, that they buy fewer and better things than they would if their wardrobes came from Walmart.
I see neighbors who always look nice but who don't have much variety in their closets while Walmart shoppers have greater variety and more clothes but they don't look as good.

Definitely possible. We are in between I suppose. Go to Gap a lot.

Last edited by amother on Sat, Jan 02 2021, 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

ShishKabob

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 1:58 pm
Eons ago, we used to drive around Monsey and go to the richer neighborhoods like Concord area just to enjoy looking at the rich houses. It never occurred to us to make their cheshbonos of how they're earning their money or how they can afford to live in such mansions. And trust me, those homes were not in the millions range at all at those times, they were just above average for the prices in Monsey those days.
What I'm grappling is with all of these forums is the jealousy that seems to be prevalent here. And don't give me the speech that you are paying for it with your taxes.
Those people also work and also pay their taxes and more property taxes because their properties are so big and luxuriously landscaped.
For me, I don't get it, but then maybe I belong to an outdated club.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 2:15 pm
I don't mean to sound jealous, more curious as to what are they doing right on mostly single incomes? Its not just the Concord area, I've seen large beautiful houses in different parts of Monsey.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 2:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don't mean to sound jealous, more curious as to what are they doing right on mostly single incomes? Its not just the Concord area, I've seen large beautiful houses in different parts of Monsey.

How do you know most people live off a single income?
If you think that everyone that owes a nice property in Monsey is living a lavish life style Can't Believe It or everyone that has a nice stroller while doing some shopping at evergreen Can't Believe It
Please mind your own business!

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 2:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I'm not sure why you think single-incomes? I have siblings who live in the Monsey area and both parents work.

Some of my siblings live in very nice homes....but interestingly, none of them dress fancy or super-trendy at all. Walmart/Old Navy would be just fine for them. They are pretty chilled about clothes.

amother
Black

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 2:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Here is an example of expenses I pay monthly many of these people do not
1. Health insurance $2,200 plus copays
2. Dental Insurance $250
3. Babysitting and cleaning help so I can work $3,000+
4. Grocery Bill is not subsidized by WIC or Snap
5. Gardener $400
I could continue but this is enough to illustrate how people could have extra money for lavish items (although they probably are indeed poor- it is priorities) not to mention family support and credit cards.

BTW I don't necessarily believe these individuals are not entitled to free or low cost health care, grocery subsidies, etc. The majority could not afford to live without the assistance. It's just important to understand that having very or little monthly expenses makes it easier to spend whatever you do have, even if it is very little, on clothing if that is where your priorities are.

Last edited by amother on Sun, Nov 29 2020, 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 3:37 pm
I think this is a funny post. Of course some of what you say is true but it doesn’t consider the full picture. For example, I live in a “mansion” but would never buy clothes at frum stores, buy expensive baby gear or drive newly leased cars.
A lot of my neighbors who live in mansions are the same.
My friends who live in apartments tend to be more into fancy clothes and strollers.
Unless you’re a multi millionaire or pretty fiscally irresponsible, you can’t have it all.
By the way, DH has a solid profession (think doctor, lawyer, senior accountant) so it’s not like we just stumbled into a comfortable lifestyle. It’s direction, hard work and help from Gd.

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 3:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

The same answer as all the other threads asking the same thing- Mazal and hard work. Some are docs, some lawyers, some own businesses, some play with real estate. many chassidish own their own plumbing/ construction/ electrical business and make a very very nice living and can definitely build themselves beautiful home especially if they barter/

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 3:53 pm
forgetit wrote:

Forgetit,

People can and do lead wealthy lifestyles and collect money from government programs. I can do math. You are missing a few things in your equation like working off the books and not paying taxes.

If you are not paying taxes, your rate of return on your investments are significantly higher and wealth accumulates that much faster. You have that much more wealth annually.

They are the ones who are affording every luxury and making giant donations. They can marry off their kids on style and go on multiple vacations yearly.

forgetit

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 6:00 pm
Squishy wrote:
Forgetit,

People can and do lead wealthy lifestyles and collect money from government programs. I can do math. You are missing a few things in your equation like working off the books and not paying taxes.

If you are not paying taxes, your rate of return on your investments are significantly higher and wealth accumulates that much faster. You have that much more wealth annually.

They are the ones who are affording every luxury and making giant donations. They can marry off their kids on style and go on multiple vacations yearly.

If you arent working on the books you dont have money to invest!

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 6:13 pm
Why are you so into how much ppl make?? I live in the Monsey area in a nice sized house. I wonder if you would go down my (newer construction) block you would think, wow, these ppl must be millionairs. What you don't know is this, we started the neighborhood and lived here when there was no one here and therefore got a nice deal on a home. We are not fancy and actually super frugal. I am a LOT less fancy then my friends in apts and we both work....
Yes...lots of Monsey is fancy but there are Many Many areas that are very simple. And....lots of the simple homes are worth more than the bigger ones...ttly depends on the location.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 6:25 pm
Monsey is not what it used to be but correcting many the houses and the new condos are expensive but they ain’t selling like they used to people aren’t it grabbing them. A lot of people are living above there means and on credit card. I can say for myself I dress my kids highend but they are last years clothing from the 70 off sales and I luck out cause I only sales shop. So many families both parents work not all. A lot of city people moved to monsey and took away the simplicity of it and lots hate it. But I feel OP came out on not sure what day and saw something not of the norm. It’s way worse in bp and people complaining about this in Lakewood.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics