Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Do you put chicken soup mix in your chicken soup?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

JewishMother18

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 10:25 am
DefyGravity wrote:
I also don't like the little blobs of yuckiness that comes from the chicken. I find that less soup is wasted when I don't use chicken.

That's exactly it DG! I've found that no matter how much you clean the chicken it never gets rid totally of all the bits and fat.

I can still "taste" and "see" the disgusting chicken soup my mother used to make. Don't get me wrong, I love my mother dearly, she just makes the worst chicken soup in the world !!! I've now taught her to make it with soup powder too LOL

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 10:38 am
I used to make it with powder. Now I make a huge pot of stock, freeze it in portions and use that when I make my chicken soup.

For stock, I'll use the frozen turkey carcass from the whole bird I roasted for a different Shabbat. Extra wings and necks. Onions, unpeeled carrots and turnips (parsnip is so expensive here) cut into large pieces, parsley, celery tops, salt and black pepper. Add water and let it come to a boil. Then let it simmer for 5 hours or so.

Allow to cool and strain (I have a fine mesh strainer). If you don't want the chicken fat then refrigerate overnight and then you can take off the solid pieces. Then decant the liquid into plastic soda bottles (I use the 1/2 and 1.5 liter bottles) and freeze. I feel I can use the bottles safely because I only use the bottles once. Often I'll cut the frozen stock right out of the bottle and drop into a pot of soup (or instead of plain water for cous cous or rice) instead of defrosting it first.

I'll add a bottle when I make my chicken-veggie soup for Shabbat (with a whole chicken and bite-sized veggies).

Mrs. XYZ

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 11:41 am
Quote:
I've now taught her to make it with soup powder too

Then its not chicken soup, its 'powder soup'! Tongue Out

Quote:
That's exactly it DG! I've found that no matter how much you clean the chicken it never gets rid totally of all the bits and fat.

I've learnt a trick to avoid that. You cook up the water first and then add the chicken. really helps.

Pickle Lady

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 12:14 pm
This is how I make chicken soup and I usually get compliments.

First I use an organic chicken. I notice the taste and think it makes it more yummy.

The only thing else I put in the soup is butternut squash, parsnip and salt.

I cook the soup for a few hours and then debone the chicken and put the pieces back into the soup. Then I cook brown rice in the soup and its so yummy.

I do think that the type of chicken you use makes a difference in taste.

Tehilla

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 12:22 pm
this is how I make mine, and we often use it as the main course with rave reviews B"H 8)

1. I tell the soup it's being made l'kavod Shabbos and daven to Hashem that it has the flavor of Shabbos and Gan Eden and is pleasing to Him, Shabbos, my husband and guests. Do the same with all the dishes (almost always).

2. Potatos, onions, and some assortment of mushrooms, zucchini, or celery, carrots, parsnip.

3. I use only white meat for it (and we eat on it for at least 3 days), a dash of olive oil, salt, pepper, oregano or thyme. parsley/basil if I'm in the mood, paprika.

4. Fill up that jumbo pot with water. And then I keep it for a couple of hours at a rolling boil, then let it simmer for a couple, and it's the very best when reheated (as in cook it on Thursday, reheat on Friday for Shabbos).

NO MIX! Smile

madys

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 12:27 pm
I confess - I use soup cubes.....

I find that I throw away SO many veggies and chicken every week - it's such a waste!! So I use one chicken leg, lots of carrots, celery, zuchinni, and onion - and a couple cubes.

Tehilla

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 12:30 pm
I always count on our soup as the evening meal for the next 2-4 days! LOL at least for me and DH!

yoyosma

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 12:37 pm
No mix.
I use chicken wings. Ive found that they are the saltiest part of the chicken and give the most flavor. And they are cheap at approximately $2.50 a package.
I cook the stock first, skim it, then add the vegetables.
I put in carrots, zucchini, onions, sweet potato, butternut squash, and...wait for it...a tomato.
The tomato makes it taste really good and sort of sweet.
I add some salt later.
Oh, and my soup is awesome Smile.

Last edited by yoyosma on Mon, Dec 24 2007, 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tehilla

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 12:38 pm
we sometimes use tomatos too, especially at Pesach. I enjoy the flavor also yoyosma. speaking of sweet potatos, my DH loves to put them in cholent.

**edited because for some reason I've started having multiple typos! Confused

Beauty and the Beast

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 1:07 pm
my soup come sout best when I dont pay attention to it, and throw things into it, lol!
I answered already on this thread that I dont use mix, but I didnt have time to post what I put into my soup.

carrots
squash
dill
ginger
green italian pepper, gives it a real kick!
garlic
a tomato sometimes
kohlarabi
knob celery
parsnip sometimes
pack of chicken bones
3 pieces of chicken ( thighs and legs)
turkey necks ( sometimes)

JewishMother18

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 1:09 pm
I also put tomato in my soup at Pesach - the only time of the year that I put tomato in chicken soup and I do it to signify a difference from the rest of the year.

shopaholic

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 1:16 pm
I know everyone says MSG is bad for you, but I make the soup Thursday night, then reheat it before Shabbos & add some mix to it. I have to tell you, the only soup I like is my mothers & mine because we add the stuff. Everyone else's is tasteless in my opinion, no matter how many veggies or chicken you add. On Pesach it's just not the same without the mix.

Tehilla

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 1:18 pm
ooh boy mine ain't tasteless! I've got guests who make sure I'm making it before they'll come! LOL

I should add though, that I use spices (as I said above). the right combo will enhance the inherent flavor of chicken soup.

JewishMother18

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 1:21 pm
momof3 wrote:
On Pesach it's just not the same without the mix.

Don't you buy kosher le Pesach soup mix?

Mrs. XYZ

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 1:23 pm
Jewish Mother wrote:
momof3 wrote:

Don't you buy kosher le Pesach soup mix?

And the kosher l'pesach ones dont have MSG, so I use those a whole year (not on pesach!)

Tehilla

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 1:24 pm
Quote:

it's so interesting to hear everyone's opinions! my DH keeps saying that my Pesach soup is phenomenal. the interesting thing is it's always such a yellow broth...much more pronounced that the year-round one. we kept trying to figure out what was making it get like that...never could.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 4:37 pm
I keep reading about everyone using cheesecloth-
this is a little embarrassing but what exactly is it, and where do you get it from?

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 4:44 pm
It's kind of like gauze. There are bags that are made from this gauze-like material. You can put the chicken and vegetables in it so that you get the flavors from those items, but are still left with a broth that's devoid of pieces.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 5:00 pm
where do you get them from?

ArthurDent

Post Mon, Dec 24 2007, 5:11 pm
Sometimes I see the cheesecloth at my local grocery store. I find them consistently at Bed, Bath, & Beyond. You can probably find them at any cooking supply store.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics