Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Saw something disgusting in supermarket
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 1:49 pm
So I was just in Bingo shopping and I can’t believe what I saw. First I will start with what a Chinese woman did. They have loose candies, nuts, and olives that you take yourself, put into a container and then have them weighed. She was going along sticking her hands into all the stuff and eating. First she started with the nuts—-stood there and kept eating walnuts—- then she moved onto the olives and actually stuck her hands into the loose olives and was eating them. I went over to the worker there and showed him and he finally went over to her and stopped her food fest. I was nauseated—thinking If I had not seen it—-and then decided to buy some olives and put them into a container And brought them home, My family and would be eating from her hands—-which who knows where they were——how sanitary——if she just finished eating treife food before she came to bingo to eat some more.Gross.

Next I saw a number of frum people “sampling” the food items too—-popping candy or nuts into their mouths while they were shopping! I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt but it is absolutely not allowed to eat anything you didnt pay for yet. It does not belong to you until you have paid—it belongs to the store. And that’s a sin Even if you’re intending to pay for it. Imagine how much worse the sin is if you do not intend to pay for it and you just see it as sampling the merchandise which I know people do. It is absolutely a sin. I couldn’t believe how many people were doing this.

[Note: This thread has been reported twice as Loshen Hara against Bingo. It's really about the shoppers. I have changed the thread title. — Rubber Ducky as Mod]

SuperWify

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 2:02 pm
No need to describe the woman as Chinese.

amother
Brown

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 2:04 pm
Oh god that's absolutely disgusting! Eeeww! Bh many stores in monsey stopped selling loose items.
Superwifey, the women is a Chinese women, what's wrong with stating a fact? Same way she said that frum guys ate nuts n candies.

rdmom

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 2:08 pm
I was in bingo once and saw the bowl with the olives had just pits in it. Along with the olive mix of tomatoes and lemon pieces. Which to me meant that someone had tasted the olives and just put the pits back in. And that was the last time I bought from the open goods

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 2:21 pm
I stopped buying loose food after I saw someone sticking his hand into a dried fruit barrel in a supermarket.

I once reported to a supermarket cashier that people were handling bagels and putting them back on the shelf.
I suggested they place a sign asking customers to use bakery paper and not to handle the food with hands.
The cashier said he would pass the message along to the manager.
I never saw the sign.

I've also seen people sticking their hands into grape bags and "tasting" them.

giselle

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 2:27 pm
I once dropped a challa on the floor at the supermarket so I brought it up to the bakery counter to let them know. I wonder if others do the same or just put it back. (Hopefully the employee didn’t put it back on the shelf!)

yksraya

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 2:29 pm
That is why many groceries stopped selling loose candy etc.

I once saw one of the grocery worker/delivery guys open a container chocolate, grab one and pop into his mouth. I went over to the grocery owner and told him. He showed me on the screen the aisles and asked me which guy it was. If you see something, say something.

chestnut

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 2:33 pm
Ewwww. Never again buying loose olives from there

Simple1

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 2:49 pm
giselle wrote:
I once dropped a challa on the floor at the supermarket so I brought it up to the bakery counter to let them know. I wonder if others do the same or just put it back. (Hopefully the employee didn’t put it back on the shelf!)

Off topic, but I once saw a man put the loose challahs he was buying directly on the checkout counter without a bag. Just a heads up for women whose husbands do the shopping.

But yeah, I've never loved the idea of buying loose stuff.

Last edited by Simple1 on Thu, May 30 2019, 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Denim

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 2:57 pm
If you are going to buy a package of (closed ) cookies and its in your cart and your Kid wants one, yes, you can open the package and give them one. Not talking from halachic perspective because I have no idea but the stores are OK with that. And it's not stealing

Reality

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 2:57 pm
Not all ice creams have a seal on top. I once saw a woman in shop rite open a container and stick her pinky in it and taste!!!!!

octopus

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 3:01 pm
Ewww!!! Just ewwwwww!!!

octopus

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 3:02 pm
Sometimes at drug stores you see people opening up lipsticks and sampling. Which is totally gross too!!!

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 3:06 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
If you are going to buy a package of (closed ) cookies and its in your cart and your Kid wants one, yes, you can open the package and give them one. Not talking from halachic perspective because I have no idea but the stores are OK with that. And it's not stealing

That’s because they will still charge you the price of the full package. If you eat from loose items that are charged by weight, you will not end up paying for everything you’ve gotten.

I have definitely opened a package to calm kvetchy kids, and then just showed the package to the cashier.

karat

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 3:12 pm
The owners and managers of food establishments turn a blind eye to these kind of things.

You know the packaged cut-up fruit sold in supermarkets?
I observed an employee cutting up the fruit with bare hands.
Ew

An employee serving me falafel in a restaurant wore the requisite gloves, placed the pita in the oven with his gloved hand-then used his germy cell phone with them while waiting for pita to warm up-then used the same gloved hands to prepare the falafel.
Ew

imasinger

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 3:24 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Oh god that's absolutely disgusting! Eeeww! Bh many stores in monsey stopped selling loose items.
Superwifey, the women is a Chinese women, what's wrong with stating a fact? Same way she said that frum guys ate nuts n candies.

Because the ethnicity of the person, whether Jewish or Chinese, has nothing to do with the behavior, and can lead oneself or others to make assumptions that it's somehow connected.

Yuck to the behavior.

trixx

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 3:30 pm
I paid for just grapes (at a non Jewish market but how much more so a Jewish one) to give my toddler who wouldn't stop kvetching and then I continued shopping. At trader Joe's where bananas have individual prices I have grabbed one and told the cashier to add it.

OutATowner

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 3:33 pm
imasinger wrote:
Because the ethnicity of the person, whether Jewish or Chinese, has nothing to do with the behavior, and can lead oneself or others to make assumptions that it's somehow connected.

Yuck to the behavior.

I think her point was that it is not exclusively a frum person thing, which she is specifying because it happened in a frum store.
And yuck!!

Simple1

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 3:35 pm
OutATowner wrote:
I think her point was that it is not exclusively a frum person thing, which she is specifying because it happened in a frum store.
And yuck!!

There's also the additional concern of "treify" hands. (But yuck either way.)

thunderstorm

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 3:48 pm
I've seen this type of thing play out more than once and I therefore do not buy any food that is open and needs to be selected besides for baked goods which usually have gloves and papers for each customer to use.
It is very possible that due to that woman's ethinicity this may be common practice in her country of origin.
Years ago the Polish cleaning women in Boro Park always ate from the fruits that were displayed outside of the fruit stores. I saw this many times.
My DH is not American and he said that in the country he is from it was common practice to taste the fruit before you purchased it. So you would rip off and eat a few grapes from a bunch of grapes and decide if you liked it or not.
I'm assuming the same would go for nuts and candy etc.

On the other hand my American grandmother always tasted everything before she bought it to make sure it was fresh. So at the appetizer counter she requested samples on a spoon or fork for her to taste. At the deli she did the same and the bakery too. The owners were glad to be of service and she always ended up buying a ton of stuff . She was just very meticulous in buying the freshest food.
Page 1 of 7   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics