Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Saw something disgusting in supermarket
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 3:40 pm
SuperWify wrote:
No need to call the guy a frum guy either. Just say there was a man or woman. That’s all.

Because whether or not the pc, slap yourself on the back for being so open minded people approve or not, there are more problems involved for us if a non Jewish person does it.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 3:42 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
I cannot buy any baked goods left out in the open.

Was once in a store and a man was picking out a challah. A few fell over and he caught them against his beard and clothing. And then put them back on the shelf.

Yup I’ve put stuff back when someone’s clothing brushed against my food! People just ignore the gloves, the tongs and the wax paper the stores provide so they won’t touch the food with their hands.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 3:44 pm
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
Actually my dh owned a grocery & it is totally allowed to taste a grape or cherry - it is not stealing at all.
Many many stores encourage customers to taste so they see how yummy it is and then buy.

You can’t speak for other stores! Just because your dh allowed it doesn’t mean other store owners do and it’s total stealing, ask your rabbi. And don’t give your permission to mislead others into sinning

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 3:45 pm
karat wrote:
It may not be stealing but as a customer if I knew other people were sticking their hands into bags of grapes or whatever I would stop shopping in that store.
It grosses me out.

It is stealing unless there’s a sign allowing it or you ask first

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 3:47 pm
nchr wrote:
I'm not sure if it is considered gezel because I think stores allow it. They also take stealing (in significant quantities) into account, but I think that stores allow people to taste items like grapes, peaches, olives, etc. You'd have to ask the manager. I don't do it, but I know it is considered acceptable and many places encourage it so you will buy the food!

Another blanket psak from a non rabbi

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 3:50 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
Theres more than one issue with buying loose items.

I remember someone telling me that they wouldnt buy loose nuts in Oh Nuts, because its guaranteed that there were hands touching the nuts. They said they buy prepacked nuts in the plastic containers in KRM.

She said theres other benefits in buying prepacked.

The stores that sell loose items, refill the large containers regularly, and you can be sure old nuts are in the large containers when they add new nuts, so youre getting a mixxture of old and new nuts. In KRM each packages is dated, so the age of all the nuts in the package is more reliable.

The nuts also stay fresher (and bug and rodent free) in the store, in closed packages.

You don’t think human hands are packing the nuts for KRM?

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 3:51 pm
tichellady wrote:
You know a Chinese person could be Jewish and frum

Trust me, this one wasn’t Can't Believe It

nchr

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 4:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Another blanket psak from a non rabbi

I gave no psak. I said I'm not sure. Is it better to be dan other Jews and say they are stealing when it is possible they are not halachically stealing? We do not know.

Your comment with "puhhlezz" to Marina was out of line. She is allowed to read and comment on posts from this website, as she is an active member.

nchr

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 4:08 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
So - should our membership be cautioned never to use 'open bin' items in areas where there are Chinese residents, or tourists?

Interestingly enough, when I go out with my children to public areas and I have a baby in a stroller, I am very cautious about other children touching my baby and stroller. Obviously, I'm cautious about anyone, but adults should know better than to touch someone else's baby. Children sometimes touch the blanket or stroller. When Asian children touch the stroller, I usually feel a little more comfortable because of how clean they are; however, this could be Japanese or Korean Asians rather than Chinese and it's not like I wouldn't peak at the childrens' hands or clothing to see if they are dirty and ask them to not touch if so.

Last edited by nchr on Fri, May 31 2019, 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 4:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Trust me, this one wasn’t Can't Believe It

So nu?

You posted to tell us that Chinese people are gross?

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 4:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Because whether or not the pc, slap yourself on the back for being so open minded people approve or not, there are more problems involved for us if a non Jewish person does it.

such as?

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 4:27 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
I used to buy liver pieces every week in a specific store. One week there wasn't any on the shelf. While I was looking for a worker to ask if they had more I met my brother. When I told him what I was looking for he took me to the back room where they had a big box of liver pieces. He stuck his bare hands in and made me a tray of liver, and had the worker wrap it and weigh it for me. He said he always does this, like this he can pick the pieces of liver that he likes best.

Ironically he is the pickiest in my family, he won't eat anyone's homemade food except for immediate family members. But this he had no problem with Confused

That was the last time I ever bought liver in that store, which is really sad because they have the best liver in town!

Which city was this in? This is so disgusting. How do people get away with this?

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 4:31 pm
If someone samples the fruit before me, it's not a big deal because I wash it with soap anyway. And many hands and possible soil, bugs, animals did too. But sticking your hands into a prepared item bare handed is disgusting. Some people do that in the bakery with rugelach or rolls without using tongs or gloves. And the liver story makes me Puke.

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 4:47 pm
Stores that allow sampling allow you to, for example, take one grape without touching the rest of the grapes. They don't want you sticking your hands in and touching everything.

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 5:53 pm
I just want to add a bit of perspective. I have been a caterer and restauranteur and I take my public health VERY seriously. In my area only a ‘supervisor‘ had to be public health certified and I paid for my regular staff to do their public health certs as well. It doesn’t mean we never had an issue, but I think we were able to minimize issues by teaching our staff about danger in food handling.

There is a HUGE difference between ignorant customers tasting and staff behaving responsibly.

I have no doubt that I could not see everything and that things happened but both me and my husband were very strict about correcting staff bad behaviour whenever we saw it. He was in the kitchen for most of the 13 hours a day we were open.

I think the onus is on the owner of the business to train staff well. And to expect responsible and food safe behaviour from every staff member. No, you cannot control your customers but you absolutely can ride herd on your staff. And you should say something when you see store/restaurant staff doing things that are bad.

Gloves are a major health issue. I actually insisted my staff NOT wear gloves per local health and safety standards. The problem is that most people wear gloves and think of them as keeping their hands, not the food, clean. Local standards include hand washing every single time you change activity in a kitchen. That means you scratch yourself, touch yourself or change from cutting onions to carrots you wash your hands in between. No hands in pockets, paper towels for drying only.

If gloves are used, you know the procedure? Wash your hands, glove up and then wash your hands and chaNge your gloves every single time you would have washed them without gloves. Every. Single. Time. Every.

Don’t even get me started with frum jews stealing. I wS very Dan zekef and so many of my customers in Niagara Falls told me about others who were actually stealing. Like the lady with 8 kids who paid for three family members and proceeded to take food for all ten family members. Or the ones who packed themselves lunches. And it was an all you can eat buffet for $10 CAD a person.

groisamomma

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 6:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Last year, I saw a video of a little kid in a supermarket in BP licking a donut in plain sight while his mother's back was turned for a second. She only noticed him holding it and made him put it down. I still wonder which lucky customer bought it afterwards.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 6:12 pm
nchr wrote:

Your comment with "puhhlezz" to Marina was out of line. She is allowed to read and comment on posts from this website, as she is an active member.

And I am also allowed “to read and comment on posts from this website” and I can say puhleeeez if I choose to. Unless you expect a double standard, that is

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 6:13 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
such as?

Pay better attention, this was clarified at the beginning of the thread

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 6:14 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
Stores that allow sampling allow you to, for example, take one grape without touching the rest of the grapes. They don't want you sticking your hands in and touching everything.

Please give us a list of stores that allow sampling. I never came across even 1

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 6:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Pay better attention, this was clarified at the beginning of the thread

I think you are suggesting that Bingo should only let in frum Jews - is that it?
Page 6 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics