Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
My baby has pnemonia 😥
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 2:35 am
My son who had an ear infection last week was put on omnicef. Tuesday night he got fever. Took him to pediatrician who said he was wheezing , to just give him a nebulizer. Took him back to back for today because he was really out of it and it turns out he has pneumonia. I tried giving him prednisone three times, but he vomited each and every time. Finally went back to the pediatrician again who gave me a steroid shot.
He's now in zithromax prednisone, Albuterol for the nebulizer and pulmicort for the nebulizer and he's still such a sad little boy.
He keeps waking up every 10 minutes with a choking sensation which I think is pretty common with pneumonia. I'm at my wits end here. Any ideas how to make my little guy feel better? Crying

Rappel

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 3:00 am
Refuah sheleimah! You're doing everything you can. He's going to be coughing up a lot of phlegm loosened by the nebuliser, and that's a GOOD thing. I've heard people promote Vaporub to ease breathing, but I've never tried it myself.

Are you sure it's pneumonia? I thought babies with pneumonia are hospitalised.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 3:04 am
Rappel wrote:
Refuah sheleimah! You're doing everything you can. He's going to be coughing up a lot of phlegm loosened by the nebuliser, and that's a GOOD thing. I've heard people promote Vaporub to ease breathing, but I've never tried it myself.

Are you sure it's pneumonia? I thought babies with pneumonia are hospitalised.

The doctor seemed very confident that was after he listened to his lungs. He said infection is primarily inhis left lung. My son has had frequent ear infections that came along with the wheezing so I use the nebulizer for him all the time but now it's not even helping me one bit

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 3:07 am
If he seems worse than the way he was at the pediatrician , I would take him to the hospital. Sounds like he may need some deep suctioning ( you can try bulb suction at home and see if it helps) and he may need other supportive measures such as oxygen. Refuah shelaimah

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 3:11 am
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
If he seems worse than the way he was at the pediatrician , I would take him to the hospital. Sounds like he may need some deep suctioning ( you can try bulb suction at home and see if it helps) and he may need other supportive measures such as oxygen. Refuah shelaimah

Thanks. I just left a message for my pediatrician on the emergency service, and I have a feeling he's going to tell me exactly that

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 3:13 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks. I just left a message for my pediatrician on the emergency service, and I have a feeling he's going to tell me exactly that

Don't wait too long for then to call you back. Go with your gut. If he's not breathing well- just go.
Signed- a peds RN

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 3:34 am
Don't wait too long for then to call you back. Go with your gut. If he's not breathing well- just go.
Signed- a peds RN

I spoke to a NP from the group who said I shud just monitor him. He slept so far his longest stretch of the night-20 whole minutes. Weird part is that he's not coughing when he's sleeping.... Only when he wakes up

Rappel

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 3:34 am
Signed- a peds RN

Agreed!

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 3:51 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I spoke to a NP from the group who said I shud just monitor him.

Monitor him for what?!
If he is having trouble breathing- (unless I'm misunderstanding) he needs other supportive care that you can't nec give at home.. Waking up every 10-20 min coughing/chocking isn't really ok. Let then monitor him in the emergency room! Not something I'd advise a layman (sorry to use this term) at home- it's not safe. Pediatric respiratory issues can quickly turn into an emergency. He does have pneumonia...

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 3:55 am
Monitor him for what?!
If he is having trouble breathing- (unless I'm misunderstanding) he needs other supportive care that you can't nec give at home.. Waking up every 10-20 min coughing/chocking isn't really ok. Let then monitor him in the emergency room! Not something I'd advise a layman (sorry to use this term) at home- it's not safe. Pediatric respiratory issues can quickly turn into an emergency. He does have pneumonia...

Every time he wakes up he has a coughing fit. He's now been sleeping for 40 min and didn't cough once. That's what so strange. He only coughs when hes awake.

amother
Seagreen

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 5:42 am
Refuah shelama!!! Hope he gets better fast. Side note, after iyh he’s all better you might want to think about seeing a pulmonologist, as you mentioned he wheezes often with an ear infection (I’m assuming that comes with a cold).
He may need some sort of preventive asthma medication or something if he develops wheezing often.
Refuah shelama to your little guy.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 7:40 am
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
Refuah shelama!!! Hope he gets better fast. Side note, after iyh he’s all better you might want to think about seeing a pulmonologist, as you mentioned he wheezes often with an ear infection (I’m assuming that comes with a cold).
He may need some sort of preventive asthma medication or something if he develops wheezing often.
Refuah shelama to your little guy.

I have asthma myself. My kids wheeze when they are sick. Hes going to be getting tubes Bec of his many ear infections....

ectomorph

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 7:49 am
My baby recently had double pneumonia. I would insist on his lungs being checked out this morning to make sure it hasn't spread.

My baby's pneumonia worsened until we started antibiotics

crust

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 8:27 am
OP I once had this with a child that also had a history of wheezing.

Pediatrician told me nebulizer and meds but
I was up literally all night because the child kept on getting up with a coughing fit.

In the morning I went back to the pediatrician who sent us straight to the hospital for a few days until the pneumonia gave in to the meds.

It was a scary and exhausting night and then a few scary days in the hospital but at least I knew the child is under the best care.

Looking back I can tell you I was dumb. The child has a history of wheezing plus a pneumonia, is getting up with coughing fits and trouble breathing, what did I think?!

It doesn't matter what the pediatrician said 6 hours before. These things tend to escalate at night and fast.

Nowadays I dont even call hatzoloh. If I feel I need to take a child in to the emergency room I just go.

Please go back to your pediatrician today and explain the night you had in all its dark colors. Don't make it less than it was.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 9:01 am
@crust, my pediatrician put them on prednisone which is a strong steroid and also gave him a steroid injection called Solu-Medrol what's really kicked in right after I posted. (Takes 7 hours. Gave inj at 8pm. Posted at 4ish). he also switched them from omnicef antibiotics to zithromax and I already see an improvement this morning.
I understand that pneumonia is a very serious thing and I have asthma myself so I know exactly how breathing issues can play out.
I'm gnna watch and see how he acts today. Yesterday he had a 102 fever and maybe drink two ounces the entire day.
So far today BH he has no fever and is drinking a ton.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 9:18 am
Delete. Double post

amother
Cobalt

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 1:10 pm
OP, try lifting his matress slanty so his head is higher up. This really helps my asthmatic DD sleep better and not keep having coughing fits.

ectomorph

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 1:27 pm
Op definitely get his lungs checked today. Last thing you need is him to worsen on shabbos.

tweety1

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 1:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
@crust, my pediatrician put them on prednisone which is a strong steroid and also gave him a steroid injection called Solu-Medrol what's really kicked in right after I posted. (Takes 7 hours. Gave inj at 8pm. Posted at 4ish). he also switched them from omnicef antibiotics to zithromax and I already see an improvement this morning.
I understand that pneumonia is a very serious thing and I have asthma myself so I know exactly how breathing issues can play out.
I'm gnna watch and see how he acts today. Yesterday he had a 102 fever and maybe drink two ounces the entire day.
So far today BH he has no fever and is drinking a ton.

If he had fever yesterday and not today consider that major improvement. Also the fact that he's drinking is great. He's drinking a ton cuz he hardly drank yesterday, he's feeling better so he's very thirsty cuz he's dehydrated. I had exactly that after not drinking for 2-3 day I couldnt quench my thirst for a few days after.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 6:44 pm
He was doing great all day but now he's starting his his coughing again. Hope we won't need to go to hosp on shbbs. Please daven for ahron Ben fruma
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics