Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Oorah Auction, why did they do away with good gifts for $250

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 4:09 pm
Oorah Auction, why did they do away with good gifts for $250+ donations?

I remember getting beautiful linen sets for a few hundred dollar donation. They for sure got the linen sets at a low price because they bought thousands, and people didnt hesitate to donate hundreds, because they were getting a great gift, without winning.

If they paid lets say $150 for a linen set that they gave people who donated $300, thats still a gain of $150 per person, and many more people bought because of the great gifts.

I think MANY people who wouldnt otherwise donate $500, would donate $500 to get a nice linen set. Its win-win for them.

Why did they stop giving the good gifts?

nchr

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 4:19 pm
You can get the linen sets for less than $250. I'm not a big believer in giving gifts for giving donations.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 4:33 pm
nchr wrote:
You can get the linen sets for less than $250. I'm not a big believer in giving gifts for giving donations.

The goal is to get more donations.

Its common sense that if more people donate many hundreds, the Tzedaka makes more money. Im sure a lot of people who used to donate because of the gifts given, either dont donate at all, or donate much less.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 4:52 pm
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
Perhaps you are wrong.

What is the purpose of this page https://www.oorahauction.org/winners.php ?

I see prizes won at auction, not gifts for buying auction tickets.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 5:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I see prizes won at auction, not gifts for buying auction tickets.

Answering my own question - they are posting a 'dummy page' prior to the auction.

To answer your question: Perhaps they figured out that the linen wasn't motivating as many people as you think it does. Or it was 100% donated in prior years - and not available this year.

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 5:13 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
Answering my own question - they are posting a 'dummy page' prior to the auction.

To answer your question: Perhaps they figured out that the linen wasn't motivating as many people as you think it does. Or it was 100% donated in prior years - and not available this year.

Or its the new tax laws. With a higher standard deduction, people won't be able to itemize and take charitable deductions as much. So they may be appealing to get many smaller donations that they can keep 100% of, rather than rewarding larger ones and netting less.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 5:33 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
Or its the new tax laws. With a higher standard deduction, people won't be able to itemize and take charitable deductions as much. So they may be appealing to get many smaller donations that they can keep 100% of, rather than rewarding larger ones and netting less.

The whole thing is scamy from a tax perspective.

But its an interesting broader question - are people who are taking a standard deduction (when they hadn't in prior years) donating less?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics