Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Netflix password

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jun 01 2019, 11:01 pm
Some one recently asked me for my account password. So she can use my account & not pay.
I do feel kind of bad for her but think this is crossing the line. & not sure if there could be any potential problems with sharing a Netflix account with her.

Anyone know what could be a problem with this?

allthingsblue

Post Sat, Jun 01 2019, 11:01 pm
It certainly isn't ethical.

I'd probably say I'm sorry, I don't feel comfortable doing that.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sat, Jun 01 2019, 11:05 pm
A couple years ago I read a NYT article about this. At the time (I don't know if it has changed) Netflix was totally ok with it. The NYT quoted them explicitly saying so.
Now, I understand being annoyed that someone is freeloading off you. I probably wouldn't give it out, if I were you. But don't assume it is against their policy without checking it out.

amother
Maroon

Post Sat, Jun 01 2019, 11:08 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
A couple years ago I read a NYT article about this. At the time (I don't know if it has changed) Netflix was totally ok with it. The NYT quoted them explicitly saying so.
Now, I understand being annoyed that someone is freeloading off you. I probably wouldn't give it out, if I were you. But don't assume it is against their policy without checking it out.

The ability to set up multiple users under one account is meant for family members. I can’t imagine it’s meant for multiple friends to share.

In any case, ethics aside, I wouldn’t want anyone to see my viewing history. Nobody’s business what I’m watching or how often.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jun 01 2019, 11:13 pm
She’d be able to see what I watch??
Even though I’m the one with the password? & the account is under my name?

amother
Jade

Post Sat, Jun 01 2019, 11:13 pm
Besides the moral and ethical issue, there's another thing to consider. Netflix limits the number of screens per account (depending on your subscription level). If you're on the two screen subscription, she will limit the usage in your home. If you and your husband want to watch different things on netflix at the same time, and she's using it at that same time too, you won't be able to.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Jun 01 2019, 11:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Yes she'd be signing in as you with your password.

amother
Jade

Post Sat, Jun 01 2019, 11:15 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Of course - if you give her the password, she is logging into the account using YOUR information. The computer doesn't care who's sitting at the keyboard, it just goes according to the info entered. So if she's entering the same info as you are, she will see the same things as you do.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sat, Jun 01 2019, 11:17 pm
Yes, that's exactly what the article was about. Sharing your password with your son's old childhood friend, for example. Or your neighbor's daughter at college. The article quoted them saying g they were on board with it.
Now, could be it's changed since then. Doesn't hurt to email or call if you really want to know.
However even if they say it's ok, you don't need to do it. I would find it kind of a chutzpah if someone would ask me that.
And btw, you can have a few people on the same account so when they log on they go to their own page even if it's the same password. Though I'm guessing she could still switch to your page and see what you're watching.
OP, you have the right to say no. It's really not that expensive for the monthly fee of a basic account. If she wants it that bad she should pay.

asmileaday

Post Sat, Jun 01 2019, 11:33 pm
Yes if she goes in to your profile she'll see exactly what it is you watched or are in the middle of watching.
I'd also be wary that she'd max out the device limit.
I wouldn't share unless it's a sibling and I know they won't go crazy with the pw (meaning they won't share it or sign in from multiple devices).

sequoia

Post Sat, Jun 01 2019, 11:37 pm
My friend lets me use her password. Her family pays for the maximum screens per account, so it’s normally not a problem.

groisamomma

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 1:24 am
I would not feel comfortable with that. I had a membership at a pool and a woman called me to ask if she can use my family's card while we're away for the summer. It bothered me but I couldn't articulate why. Kind of the same feeling as a neighbor using my wifi without permission. It wasn't costing me extra but it didn't feel right.

chanchy123

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 6:42 am
I have a friend who shares a subscription with several other friends (they might split the costs not sure). She has the 4 screen plan and each family uses a different user name.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 6:47 am
ethically I think its fine. Its different then a pool or zoo subscription. They have screen limits for exactly this reason. But unless you have a multi screen subscription, I wouldn't do it. If she just needs it for a one of thing (wants to watch a particular program) then let her. Then maybe change your password.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics