Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Corned Beef

Chickpea

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 8:02 am
I'm planning on cooking corned beef this week and then freezing it in portions for Shavuot. I was told that corned beef doesn't freeze well....the texture may be affected as a result. Can any of you smart ladies educate me about how to freeze corned beef, or should I just skip it and make some other type of meat?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 8:08 am
I freeze cooked corned beef all the time. Undercook it a bit. Freeze the slices double wrapped freeze the broth separately to heat it up in.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 8:10 am
I second freezing.

Chickpea

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 8:23 am
Thanks ra_mom, PinkFridge. Ra_mom, is there any other method of freezing/reheating corned beef? Your suggestion may in fact be excellent, but I'm keeping a low flame on my stove top and it's just going to take too long to reheat plus I don't want to start pulling out a pot to cook on Yom Tov. I know it may sound really lame but I want to keep things really simple.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 8:27 am
Chickpea wrote:
Thanks ra_mom, PinkFridge. Ra_mom, is there any other method of freezing/reheating corned beef? Your suggestion may in fact be excellent, but I'm keeping a low flame on my stove top and it's just going to take too long to reheat plus I don't want to start pulling out a pot to cook on Yom Tov. I know it may sound really lame but I want to keep things really simple.

If it's fully defrosted, the sliced corned beef in it's own sauce reheats faster than anything. Great choice for night meal when you don't have a lot of time to reheat.
I heat it on my hot plate in a disposable pan for evenings and in a double boiler of disposable pans for day meals when I'd like it reheat more slowly.
If your oven is on and you prefer that, it's also good reheated in a pan in the oven.

Chickpea

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 9:00 am
ra_mom wrote:
If it's fully defrosted, the sliced corned beef in it's own sauce reheats faster than anything. Great choice for night meal when you don't have a lot of time to reheat.
I heat it on my hot plate in a disposable pan for evenings and in a ouble boiler of disposable pans for day meals when I'd like it reheat more slowly.
If your oven is on and you prefer that, it's also good reheated in a pan in the oven.

I'm not understanding...You're saying that I should freeze the sauce separately from the meat? I won't take out the block of frozen sauce until motzei Shabbos. Or maybe I should take it out right before Shabbos. How will it defrost so quickly? I'm planning on serving it for lunch. I don't like to defrost food on the counter in warmer weather. On all the other yom tovim I use both the oven and stove top. I'm trying to avoid using both for Shavuot because I feel that it's going to heat up the house too much. I don't use my hot plate for a 3-day yom tov.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 9:04 am
Chickpea wrote:
I'm not understanding...You're saying that I should freeze the sauce separately from the meat? I won't take out the block of frozen sauce until motzei Shabbos. Or maybe I should take it out right before Shabbos. How will it defrost so quickly? I'm planning on serving it for lunch. I don't like to defrost food on the counter in warmer weather. On all the other yom tovim I use both the oven and stove top. I'm trying to avoid using both for Shavuot because I feel that it's going to heat up the house too much. I don't use my hot plate for a 3-day yom tov.

Yes I freeze the meat separately and the sauce separately so the texture doesn't change.
I put the frozen meat and the frozen sauce into the fridge before shabbos and everything defrosts slowly.
You can use whatever method you are already planning on having on, to reheat the corned beef for your meal.

Chickpea

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 9:57 am
ra_mom wrote:
Yes I freeze the meat separately and the sauce separately so the texture doesn't change.
I put the frozen meat and the frozen sauce into the fridge before shabbos and everything defrosts slowly.
You can use whatever method you are already planning on having on, to reheat the corned beef for your meal.

Will follow your method. I really appreciate you taking out all your time to help me.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 10:56 am
Chickpea wrote:
Will follow your method. I really appreciate you taking out all your time to help me.

My pleasure. And make sure to undercook it a bit, so you can reheat it with good results.

Chickpea

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 12:06 pm
ra_mom wrote:
My pleasure. And make sure to undercook it a bit, so you can reheat it with good results.

Ra_mom, I always enjoy reading your posts. Thank you for all your help.I hope I wasn't annoying you with all my questions. I know it must appear that I'm clueless in the cooking department but I actually enjoy cooking. It's just that I have no confidence when it comes to corned beef (I ruined one last year).

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 12:10 pm
Not at all - it was my pleasure!

aricelli

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 12:15 pm
Do you have any good corned beef sauce?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 12:18 pm
aricelli wrote:
Do you have any good corned beef sauce?

I like savory hot corned beef - I use the cooking liquid to reheat it in (I cook it with added fresh garlic and bay leaves). I'm sure others have great sauces they like and can post.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics