Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How do I save on my Optimum Bill? Im clueless. I pay $150

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 9:10 am
TV
05/08 - 06/07 Optimum Core
Incl. $24.95 Promotional Savings
$35.00
05/08 - 06/07 Showtime
with On Demand Incl. $11.90 Promotional Savings Effective until 05/07/2020
$5.00
05/08 - 06/07 Starz&StarzEncore
with On Demand Incl. $11.90 Promotional Savings Effective until 05/07/2020
$5.00
05/08 - 06/07 Cloud DVR Plus
Incl. $12.99 Promotional Savings Effective until 05/07/2020
$5.00
05/08 - 06/07 1 Cable Box(es)
(At $11.00 each with remote(s) included)
$11.00
05/08 - 06/07 TV Broadcast Fee
$5.99
05/08 - 06/07 Regional Sports
Network Fee
$8.97
Total TV$75.96
Internet
05/08 - 06/07 Optimum Online
(Incl. FREE unlimited access to Optimum WiFi) Incl. $29.96 Promotional Savings
$34.99
05/08 - 06/07 Optimum 100
Add-On Incl. $10.00 Promotional Savings
$0.00
05/08 - 06/07 1 Modem
Rental Fee(s) (At $10.00 each)
$10.00
05/08 - 06/07 Network
Enhancement Fee
$2.50
05/08 - 06/07 Smart Router
$0.00
Total Internet$47.49
Phone
05/08 - 06/07 Optimum Voice
(Includes over 20 features, certain taxes & fees) Incl. $24.95 Promotional Savings
$10.00
Total Phone$10.00
Other activity
05/08 - 06/07 Service
Protection
$6.99
Total other activity$6.99
Taxes & Fees
05/08 - 06/07 State and Local
Sales Tax
$2.87
Taxes and
Other Fees
$6.01
State and Local
Tax Surcharge
$0.99
911 Surcharge
$1.00
Federal Universal
Service Fee
$0.30
Total taxes & fees$11.17
Total amount due$151.61[/b]

amother
Red

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 9:12 am
We pay similar. No way to lower bill after the initial new customer promotion which we had many years ago.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 9:15 am
Do you use all these things? I needed just Internet and asked them for the cheapest plan. I pay under 40 a month .

singleagain

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 9:15 am
Sometimes, if you call them and ask they can lower it. I've heard of ppl saying "well if you don't lower it I'm going to a different company" and they get it lowered. (But in case they don't, be prepared to actually switch.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 9:16 am
singleagain wrote:
Sometimes, if you call them and ask they can lower it. I've heard of ppl saying "well if you don't lower it I'm going to a different company" and they get it lowered. (But in case they don't, be prepared to actually switch.

Many areas have just one provider. Check before you do this.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 9:17 am
singleagain wrote:

What are my options in Brooklyn for Internet Phone and TV packages?

Sadly, I never got a promotion when I joined about a year ago. This is what Ive been paying from the start.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 9:19 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Sadly, I never got a promotion when I joined about a year ago. This is what Ive been paying from the start.

Everything block is different. Check with Verizon and time Warner Cable to see if they can service you.

chatz

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 9:30 am
You can buy your own modern and save $10 a month. You'd have to check with them first to see which modems are compatible.

Are you using cable tv sufficiently to justify that monthly charge? Would switching to only internet and a Netflix or similar subscription work instead?

icebreaker

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 9:36 am
We had Spectrum and our bill was at $200. Ridiculous. Cut the cable and got fire sticks. DD jail broke them and now we have access to pretty much everything and only pay for internet. Maybe that’s something to consider?

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 9:55 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Promotional savings in your original post indicate that you received a promotion. You should talk to them, because once you hit the 12 month mark you may lose those promotions.

If you can't figure out how to get the price lowered and there are good promotions now for new customers, you can shut your account and open a new account under a different person's social, like your husband's. It's a hassle, though, and you may be without it for a few days.

itsmeima

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 10:34 am
You need to call them and tell them you’re canceling your account because of the high fees. They'll try to bargain with you, if they don't, cancel your account. You’ll get a call from them a little later asking you why you chose to leave them, tell them the truth and they'll give you a better offer.

Good luck!

Amarante

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 10:46 am
OP is still under the promo plan.

As others have posted, you have a LOT of add ons - do you really want all of the additional services? I also have DVR and they would have to pry it out of my dead hands before I am forced to watch television commercials or plan my life around air times :-). If you are an amazon prime member, you have access to their programs for free and Netflix streaming is $8.00 per month and also has a lot of quality shows. You might also investigate Hulu plus. This is individual of course but you have Starz; Showtime plus sports - all of which are costing you money. You might multiply each of these by 12 and then decide whether the annual cost is really worth it to you.

Your modem is costing you $120 a year - you can buy a model and it will pay for itself in less than a year and then be free. It should last for several years so it's well worth buying one.

Why do you need a protection plan - protection from what?

Do you need the telephone? Most people with cell phones, have gotten rid of that. If it is truly a land line then it would be worth it but VOIP is dependent on electricity and an internet connection so you don't have that true emergency line the way you would with an old fashioned land line. I know because I stupidly got rid of mine for VOIP and when I realized that I had no phone if I had no internet I tried to go back but was told I couldn't :-(

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 10:50 am
Buy a modem and an OBI box. You can find it on sale on Amazon/B &H.

Set up a Google voice account. Dan's deals has instructions.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 11:01 am
chatz wrote:
Are you using cable tv sufficiently to justify that monthly charge?

These are our favorites that come to mind-

A few times a month my husband watches the ball game on Channel 89, and we like the political news shows on CNN (Channel 25) and Fox News (Channel 26).

I dont think Id get either without cable.

amother
Red

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 11:04 am
OP with the same bill as you. We stay with optimum because fios is not available in our range and optimum is fastest after fios.

Amarante

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 11:05 am
CNN and Fox News are both basic cable stations and just come with basic cable service and cost - what is the lineup for basic cable. I have no idea what is what with Sports but my basic cable also includes ESPN - the sports network which I never watch :-). Local games are generally broadcast on basic cable stations with a few exceptions. You should determine exactly what stations are included in your basic cable rate.

However you have added on Showtime and Starz/Encore - do you watch enough of their offerings for it to be worthwhile? I get both Showtime and HBO but only because my building has a bulk agreement so they are included in my discounted rate. I am extremely lucky as I pay $45.00 for cable, internet, Showtime, HBO and two cable boxes. The basic cable includes about 300 channels such as CNN, HGTV, ESPN E, TCL, Bravo :-)

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 11:14 am
Amarante wrote:
OP is still under the promo plan.

Your modem is costing you $120 a year - you can buy a model and it will pay for itself in less than a year and then be free. It should last for several years so it's well worth buying one.

Why do you need a protection plan - protection from what?

Do you need the telephone? Most people with cell phones, have gotten rid of that. If it is truly a land line then it would be worth it but VOIP is dependent on electricity and an internet connection so you don't have that true emergency line the way you would with an old fashioned land line. I know because I stupidly got rid of mine for VOIP and when I realized that I had no phone if I had no internet I tried to go back but was told I couldn't :-(

Realize that optimum phone is also thru internet and will not work in the event of power outage. Even 911 won't work.
https://www.optimum.net/pages/......html

Amarante

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 11:18 am
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
Realize that optimum phone is also thru internet and will not work in the event of power outage. Even 911 won't work.
https://www.optimum.net/pages/......html

That was my point - you are not getting the advantages of a true land line with any kind of VOIP or internet phone. If you have a cell phone, you might not want to spend the money.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics