Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
5 yo suddenly tantruming a lot

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 8:05 am
My just turned 5 yo is suddently tantruming a lot. No recent life changes at all.
He tantrums mostly when I give him a time out for hitting his younger brother or talking disrespectfully. I think he is very sensitive and these time outs bother him but I can't think of another way to address the hitting/pushing/saying bad words.
Problem is, after the time out he tells me "you're cocky, you make me poopy food, I don't love you," and other strong statements. It's really worrying me; is this normal? How do I address it? What can I do instead of a timeout?

trixx

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 8:10 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My just turned 5 yo is suddently tantruming a lot. No recent life changes at all.
He tantrums mostly when I give him a time out for hitting his younger brother or talking disrespectfully. I think he is very sensitive and these time outs bother him but I can't think of another way to address the hitting/pushing/saying bad words.
Problem is, after the time out he tells me "you're cocky, you make me poopy food, I don't love you," and other strong statements. It's really worrying me; is this normal? How do I address it? What can I do instead of a timeout?

Read positive discipline

pesek zman

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 8:24 am
I don’t dont do time out. I read about something called time in that works (overall, over time, better) it’s about that when your kid gives you a hard time they are having a hard time, and about addressing the root cause. Very difficult to do but I try to pickup/sit with my 4 year old (we’ve been doing it for a few years) and hold her close and loving and speak softly and ask her what’s going on while aclkowndeging that whatever it may be (hunger/tiredness/end of school year) may be hard.

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 8:57 am
deleted

Stars

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 9:48 am
Take a strep test

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 9:50 am
Stars wrote:
Take a strep test

He's on antibiotics for strep

Stars

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 9:52 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

for how many days? it gets better for us around day 4-5.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 9:54 am
Stars wrote:
for how many days? it gets better for us around day 4-5.

Over a week

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 10:00 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

BINGO!

Give it several weeks to completely clear up. In the meantime, try to anticipate his meltdowns, and know ahead of time when he'll be hungry, tired, or frustrated. He doesn't feel well, and he doesn't know how to tell you that, because it's a vague kind of feeling, not a sharp pain.

I'd say something like "Dovi, it sounds to me like you are not feeling well / tired / etc., but we cannot let you hit Moishe. Is there something you think we should do to help you feel better? We want everyone to be happy, and not fight."

Try to empower him by getting him to brainstorm with you. Let him suggest silly things, serious things, and things you may not have thought of. Get his imagination going, and you'll be teaching him how to problem solve for himself. It's a priceless life skill.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics