Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Latex

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 6:24 pm
Hi All,
I have an allergy which is quite rare. Most people gape at me when they hear that I cannot hold a balloon or walk near a blow-up ride.
Anyone else suffer from a latex allergy or know anyone that also does? Would love to hear
Thanks

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 6:47 pm
This is definitely not as uncommon as you think.

There are people in the secular world who can't use condoms for the same reason.

I don't know of anyone personally, but I'm sure you'll be able to find.

Last edited by amother on Sun, Jul 07 2019, 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 6:50 pm
Many people with spina bifida have this allergy.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 6:53 pm
Very common among Medical professionals. Like me. I cannot blow up balloons but have no problem with being near moonwalks. Just make sure in doctors and dental offices they all know about your allergy and use non latex gloves etc for you.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 6:57 pm
My hands get itchy if I wear disposable latex gloves. I develop a pimply itchy rash that looks like eczema. My 8 year old son also gets itchy hands from latex gloves

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 6:58 pm
I’m allergic to latex. I get hives if I wear latex gloves or a band aid. I make sure to let any dr know of my allergy. They’re always very accommodating and write on top of my file in bold letters latex allergy. Only once I had a dr sort of snicker (very unprofessional imo) he was like oh what happens if I use latex gloves? I felt like I had to defend myself. Never went back to him.

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 7:00 pm
Whew!!!! TMI

Read the title and thought this thread was about condoms

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 7:01 pm
I have a latex sensitivity. I break out in hives and rashes from latex touching my skin.

I am also allergic to latex-containing foods such as kiwi, papaya and sabras, also to some degree to pineapple.

My medical records all list my allergy and I am proactive about mentioning it when undergoing medical procedures.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 7:03 pm
I’m allergic to latex.
Doctor used latex gloves to deliver my baby and then did an internal sweep and it caused me to have an anaphylactic reaction. I almost died. Bh I am totally okay today.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 9:18 pm
@aquaamother: I went to a dr and told them I am severly allergic to latex pls use other gloves. She too snickered and asked me well what happens? I told her you dont want this on your hands
I get hives and swelling. I also had some reactions where my lips and tongue got numb to the point where hatzala was called because I almost stopped breathing.
Thanks to all that responded.

gamanit

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 11:52 pm
Sounds like a really severe allergy. b"H most doctors today use latex free gloves, at least in my area. I was unaware that blow up rides contain latex. The ones designed for backyard use are generally mostly polyester I believe.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 5:50 am
My sister has a severe latex allergy. She cannot be in a room with a latex balloon, ball etc. She carries an allergy card in her wallet, and keeps her own sets of non latex gloves in her purse, just in case they are ever needed for medical reasons (emergency ch"v, doctor doesn't have etc.). Her throat closes up and she cannot breathe if she is too close to latex. She also can't eat bananas (there is latex in the peel).

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 6:27 am
My child has a latex allergy as well as other allergies.
It isn't extreme but he used to have severe exczema that worsened when wearing bandages until we realized latex was the culprit.
Most doctor's offices use latex free gloves by now.

happyone

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 7:10 am
my child has a latex allergy. thankfully most hospitals are slowly going latex free.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 7:20 am
A lot of hospitals are banning latex balloons completely, and only allowing mylar. They have designated latex free exam rooms, and latex free equipment carts. This is especially true in children's hospitals.

Nitrile gloves are quickly becoming the industry standard. They're more sensitive too, so doctors can have a better grip and better feel for what they are doing. And hey, who doesn't love purple?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 3:58 pm
I also have a later allergy, and tell it to all Drs. Once I had an emergency in nyu and they had a separate operation room which was latex free! Every hospital should have it!

gamanit

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 10:57 pm
Isn't it better for the entire hospital to be latex free? Unless there are certain things that can only be done with latex and not with allergy friendly material.

Ima Piano

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 6:35 pm
@gamanit it is better for the whole hospital to be but you cannot change the world because "some people have this allergy" I wish though you never know.

gamanit

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 6:40 pm
Fraidelea wrote:
@gamanit it is better for the whole hospital to be but you cannot change the world because "some people have this allergy" I wish though you never know.

Interesting. Maimonides only has latex free gloves but I'm sure there's latex in stuff I'm not thinking of.

acemom

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 10:22 pm
I only buy latex free bandages. I wouldn't be able to keep track otherwise when my allergic child plays doctor or covers the multiple "booboos" showing up.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics