Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Best dairy desert that isn't cheesecake
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

nylon

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 4:21 pm
Depends--are you into creamy, fruity, chocolaty? Almost anything can be dairy.

Shavuot coincides with peak strawberry season for me this year, so I think I am going to make a Fraisier cake--sponge cake filled with strawberries and pastry cream, and I may make a tiramisu as that keeps very well for a few days.

Many desserts that clever kosher cooks have learned to make non dairy are even better dairy like puddings, cream pies, even pound cake. And I love butter pastries which are an excellent choice if you have family that's not really into the rich, creamy/custardy textures.

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 4:31 pm
The New York Times big crumb rhubarb cake. Oh. My. Gosh. Heaven in a plate. It's a sour cream coffee cake with rhubarb in it and huge buttery crumbs on top. YUM! It''s not very hard to make either. Google it.

sunshine5

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 6:14 pm
Chocolate chip cookie cake with bars of chopped milchig chocolate instead od chocolate chips.. Keep warm and serve with vanilla ice cream..

lora

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 6:24 pm
https://www.kosher.com/recipe/.....-6775
Napoleon without cheese.

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 6:25 pm
DH is making fried Oreos. Yum!!

Last edited by amother on Sun, Jul 07 2019, 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 6:29 pm
DVOM wrote:
Got any ideas? No one in our family really likes cheesecake. I'd love to make something really special...

It’s dessert not desert unless you mean something with sand

tichellady

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 6:38 pm
Chocolate molten cake, a berry or apple or peach cobbler with butter, apple cheddar pie, lemon bars

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 6:57 pm
1.https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/red-velvet-cherry-cake-roll-recipe-2107037

2. I make an ice cream from an old Betty Crocker cookbook that calls for milk. I usually use a pareve substitute but if there were a need (other options already) I'd make it with milk.

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 7:03 pm
Simple but we always love it -- iced coffee topped with a scoop of ice cream and chocolate syrup. If you want you can add whipped cream too.

We also love make your own sundaes.

DVOM

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 8:43 pm
Wow! I had the busiest day and didn't see these responses until now...Such awesome ideas! Thanks, everyone!

Sadly, nothing with cheese in it will get eaten. Nor will anything with any kind of fruit. Nor will anything that 'feels like bread in my mouth'- that includes any type of yeasty dough like rugalach or cinnamon buns.

I ended up making my best chocolate cake with butter and cream instead of oil and water. Smelled amazing!!! We'll serve it with ice cream and toppings and call it a day.

Also making a sandwich cookie bar: four types of cookies, three types of fillings, mix and match. Yum!

DVOM

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 8:44 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
Simple but we always love it -- iced coffee topped with a scoop of ice cream and chocolate syrup. If you want you can add whipped cream too.

We also love make your own sundaes.

That sounds heavenly! Doing it!

DVOM

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 8:46 pm
aricelli wrote:
If you want to do something for the kids- one of the magz had a cake full of colorful m and m’s hiding inside- looked exciting
Sort of like this
https://www.bettycrocker.com/r.....4d50b

Adorable!! I'm doing this too!

Hmmm... I think I might end up with too many desserts

DVOM

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 8:47 pm
perquacky wrote:
Key Lime Pie
Tres Leche Cake

Both Shavuot favorites in our house. In addition to my cheesecake, which I'll bake, but I won't eat.

Recipe, please?

DVOM

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 8:49 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
It’s dessert not desert unless you mean something with sand

I failed spelling tests straight through elementary school... Thanks, Amother chocolate!

aricelli

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 9:12 pm
Hey- if you have too many desserts can we come pretty please?

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 10:03 pm
A cute idea - you can make individual "har sinai" ice cream desserts. Can have chocolate cake with ice cream scoop on top (or just chocolate ice cream scoop) & then put chocolate kit-kat type bar on top to resemble the luchos. If can find any flower type candies (or maybe sprinkles or pink sugar) or something can decorate with that too. Can have fun decorating it with whatever you have around/see in the store that might work.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 10:28 am
DVOM wrote:
Wow! I had the busiest day and didn't see these responses until now...Such awesome ideas! Thanks, everyone!

Sadly, nothing with cheese in it will get eaten. Nor will anything with any kind of fruit. Nor will anything that 'feels like bread in my mouth'- that includes any type of yeasty dough like rugalach or cinnamon buns.

I ended up making my best chocolate cake with butter and cream instead of oil and water. Smelled amazing!!! We'll serve it with ice cream and toppings and call it a day.

Also making a sandwich cookie bar: four types of cookies, three types of fillings, mix and match. Yum!

Sounds wonderful!

princessleah

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 3:20 pm
I am making Yotam Ottolenghi's chocolate babka-- with lots of butter. It's a huge pachke but totally worth it

princessleah

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 3:21 pm
smileforamile wrote:
DH is making fried Oreos. Yum!!

FYI, Oreos are 100% pareve. Call the OU and ask them!

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 3:34 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
The New York Times big crumb rhubarb cake. Oh. My. Gosh. Heaven in a plate. It's a sour cream coffee cake with rhubarb in it and huge buttery crumbs on top. YUM! It''s not very hard to make either. Google it.

Do you have a link? I'm googling the bolded and not having luck. Thanks!
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics