Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Major pet peeve
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 11:02 am
When people mix up there/their/they're or women/woman or then/than and there are others. Anyone else with me?
The two woman ate there lunch. Can't Believe It

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 11:05 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
When people mix up there/their/they're or women/woman or then/than and there are others. Anyone else with me?

Totally with you. Can you please add in using by when they mean near? It sounds so ignorant.

singleagain

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 11:05 am
Yes, typos are annoying. But consider that (Especially on a. Fourum such as this) ppl write as they talk. Go quickly. Some use points with Swype and the human brain will read it as correct, especially if it's a homonyms. Plus, not everyone proofs Britt hitting submit. Cut ppl slack.

giselle

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 11:06 am
It used to bother me a lot more. I come from a family where grammar is extremely important. I was raised with the attitude that people who can’t spell or speak with proper grammar aren’t smart. However I’ve since met many very smart people who simply don’t know how to spell. It’s like some kind of block. I can’t say I don’t notice it, but it doesn’t irk me the way it used to.

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 11:07 am
When people say "scissor" instead of "scissors" AAARRRGGGHHHH
Or when they mix up many/much, amount/number.

dankbar

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 11:15 am
I happen to know my grammar. If I don't reread the post before submitting there sometimes are typos in grammar & spelling that gets wrongly autocorrected

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 11:19 am
It doesn't bother me so much on social media or some other casual forum, such as this one. People type on their phones and autocorrect can sometimes be really dumb. My phone has a habit of correcting if to of (when I definitely meant if) were to we're, and other silly things like that. I try to go over it before posting, but sometimes I miss things. And honestly, I'm not interested in treating social media (which is down time for me) as though it's a dissertation or something, so yeah, I may have typos now and then. I don't make those kinds of mistakes when it really matters.

Also, try to remember, not everyone has English as a first language. It's really not nice to shame people for their English. How would you like it if you hung around an Israeli forum and had your Hebrew nitpicked every time you posted? I say good for anyone who knows enough English that they can follow the conversations here and contribute meaningfully even if the rest of us have to take a little longer to understand those posts.

singleagain

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 11:23 am
singleagain wrote:
Yes, typos are annoying. But consider that (Especially on a. Fourum such as this) ppl write as they talk. Go quickly. Some use points with Swype and the human brain will read it as correct, especially if it's a homonyms. Plus, not everyone proofs Britt hitting submit. Cut ppl slack.

Case in point. ... I was trying to say before.. I swyped.. don't even know how that word guy into my phone

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 11:47 am
giselle wrote:
It used to bother me a lot more. I come from a family where grammar is extremely important. I was raised with the attitude that people who can’t spell or speak with proper grammar aren’t smart. However I’ve since met many very smart people who simply don’t know how to spell. It’s like some kind of block. I can’t say I don’t notice it, but it doesn’t irk me the way it used to.

I never took it as someone is not smart. It is that they are not educated.

daagahminayin

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 11:55 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The two woman ate there lunch.

Makes perfect sense. It was one waitress telling another at a restaurant, “The woman who regularly comes here at 2pm ate her lunch over there, at that table.”

groovy1224

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 11:55 am
While I was in college, I worked in a clothing store. You would not believe how many people think sequins = sequence.

What size does that sequence dress come in? Sounds like the beginning of a math joke..

aricelli

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 12:14 pm
Hey hey hey y’all! I cannot spell! Ok! I am brave enough to man up to it so be nice! It does not mean I am not educated or intelligent only that I have a bit of a disability in this area. I thought there was more awareness and compassion towards people with disabilities today- why is this different. I feel that if someone is aware then its ok. I know to use use dictionaries and spell check but yeah- I may still make mistakes- cut me slack

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 12:43 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
When people say "scissor" instead of "scissors" AAARRRGGGHHHH
Or when they mix up many/much, amount/number.

Shouldn't the word be 'a pair of scissors'? But I do understand you. It's irritating.
English not my mother tongue.

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 12:45 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
Shouldn't the word be 'a pair of scissors'? But I do understand you. It's irritating.
English not my mother tongue.

I think it's as accepted as saying "pants" instead of "pair of pants".

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 12:49 pm
Yesterday I saw an English ad for the Likud party. it said: "make israel great again". Can't Believe It Sure. israel.

DrMom

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 12:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Absolutely. Fingernails on a chalkboard.

crush

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 12:54 pm

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 12:55 pm
"Do you treat your dil/sil as good as you treat your own children?"
NO NO NO, it’s WELL. You treat your kids well, not good!

tothepoint

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 1:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

You meant to say the to woman, right? Life is too short to waste time adding w's

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 1:03 pm
Squishy wrote:
Totally with you. Can you please add in using by when they mean near? It sounds so ignorant.

It sounds like people using a local dialect that mixes in Yiddish with English. It sounds ignorant not to know that.
Page 1 of 8   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette