Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Major pet peeve
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 8:44 am
watergirl wrote:
I mean, if they SAY it with the accent, then fine! That's the way they talk because of local dialect. If the teacher transliterated the word that way, I would wonder about her teaching competency.

Teenage girls...

saw50st8

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 8:44 am
Eh, this doesn't bother me. My grammar and spelling isn't perfect. I find even grammar snobs make mistakes sometimes and then I laugh at them (because they are so obnoxious about other people's mistakes, not because I care).

Sometimes, the mistakes are autocorrects or just typing quickly. Other times, it is just mistakes that keep getting perpetuated. You can be educated and still speak or write poorly. We all have our strengths and weaknesses.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 9:24 am
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
My hilchus shabbos teacher in school was full of ussa, mutta and would wonder why we were giggling

An Israeli teacher with Hebrew as mother tongue should have corrected her.

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 9:51 am
crust wrote:
At 12-13 a child knows how to spell the basics.

'Focus on medical school' doesn't cause so much distraction at that age.

Children show aptitude early on. In general, girls might be better in language and boys in math. These early strengths often continue.

Some kids may have the basics down at 12 - 13, but not everyone which is why they are re-taught at 13 - 14, and again at 15 -16, and so on.

Most colleges have a freshman writing class precisely because many students don't know the basics. Two of my grad schools had writing programs, and my degrees were in very different fields.

You can't expect 12 -13 year olds to have as many basics as someone more educated.

Laiya

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 10:53 am
Cheiny wrote:
Actually people learn to spell mostly by reading (that’s what I learned through research), as seeing the words over and over teaches one how they should be spelled, so I guess when people can’t spell it’s because they don’t read much.

This is somewhat of a misconception. There is a certain subset of people who are excellent readers but lousy spellers. You can't draw a conclusion about one's reading ability, or how often they read or how well-read they are, based on their spelling.

singleagain

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 10:58 am
Laiya wrote:
This is somewhat of a misconception. There is a certain subset of people who are excellent readers but lousy spellers. You can't draw a conclusion about one's reading ability, or how often they read or how well-read they are, based on their spelling.

Yes! Especially bc of all the expectations to the rules that English has. If you learn to sound out words then you read them and they have silent letters and you don't know it's silent, you'll read it as "kuh-nife"

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 11:09 am
singleagain wrote:
Yes! Especially bc of all the expectations to the rules that English has. If you learn to sound out words then you read them and they have silent letters and you don't know it's silent, you'll read it as "kuh-nife"

But why would you spell it kuhnife? If you learn to spell by reading, the spelling would stay standard. Besides, if you wrote kuhnife, spellcheck would pick it up.

singleagain

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 11:13 am
Squishy wrote:
But why would you spell it kuhnife? If you learn to spell by reading, the spelling would stay standard. Besides, if you wrote kuhnife, spellcheck would pick it up.

Sorry.. I meant that if you read you might pronouce it kuh-nife. When you read knife. If you weren't aware of silent letters, bc spelling is not your forte.

I actually recall, hearing a word pronounced incorrectly bc it had a spelling that had a bunch of exceptions and silent letters. And maybe the person just never saw it written down before.

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 11:19 am
singleagain wrote:
Sorry.. I meant that if you read you might pronouce it kuh-nife. When you read knife. If you weren't aware of silent letters, bc spelling is not your forte.

I actually recall, hearing a word pronounced incorrectly bc it had a spelling that had a bunch of exceptions and silent letters. And maybe the person just never saw it written down before.

I admire people with the confidence to pronounce words that they never heard as they are stretching themselves.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 12:07 pm
Squishy wrote:
I never took it as someone is not smart. It is that they are not educated.

I graduated collage with A's in every subject and few A+. Would have had a bunch more A+ but teachers usually took off a few points for spelling. I would go over every report a bunch of times + use spell check (Which didnt always help since I would get things wrong that the computer didn't pick up on - like writing pricipal instead of principle) I would still usually get back my paper with a few mistakes circled. I was considered one of the smartest in the class but could never lend out my notes since they where handwritten and without being spell checked it was hard for others to figure out alot of what I wrote.

To the poster who said that it has to do with reading - I read everything I could get my hands on (those days I'm busy with work and family so not as much as I used to, but am still a big reader)

I don't know exactly what it is, probably some sort of disability in that area, I just can't get it. Bh in these days most things can be done on computer which has spell check. Like I said I still make mistake this way, but I people can still get what I write.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 12:22 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
I graduated collage with A's in every subject and few A+. Would have had a bunch more A+ but teachers usually took off a few points for spelling. I would go over every report a bunch of times + use spell check (Which didnt always help since I would get things wrong that the computer didn't pick up on - like writing pricipal instead of principle) I would still usually get back my paper with a few mistakes circled. I was considered one of the smartest in the class but could never lend out my notes since they where handwritten and without being spell checked it was hard for others to figure out alot of what I wrote.

To the poster who said that it has to do with reading - I read everything I could get my hands on (those days I'm busy with work and family so not as much as I used to, but am still a big reader)

I don't know exactly what it is, probably some sort of disability in that area, I just can't get it. Bh in these days most things can be done on computer which has spell check. Like I said I still make mistake this way, but I people can still get what I write.

Don't worry. I was an A student, an English major, am now a lawyer, and can attest that a bunch of these posters are talking out of their @ss. I practice a kind of corporate law and my writing skills help me, but there are plenty of Associates who aren't great writers and are still fantastic lawyers. You likely have to be able to read, analyze, research and cite, depending what kind of law you practice. But the vast majority of writing people do in efficient corporate firms is template-based, so you're basically conducting a legal analysis, and inputting data into the templates. Plus, attorneys have paras drafting half the stuff anyway, and they're conducting review.

Every law firm does need some good writers, but that doesn't mean that you need to be a great writer to be an attorney.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 1:09 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
Eh, this doesn't bother me. My grammar and spelling isn't perfect. I find even grammar snobs make mistakes sometimes and then I laugh at them (because they are so obnoxious about other people's mistakes, not because I care).

Sometimes, the mistakes are autocorrects or just typing quickly. Other times, it is just mistakes that keep getting perpetuated. You can be educated and still speak or write poorly. We all have our strengths and weaknesses.

I agree with you that nobody is perfect. And you can be very educated as it's been mentioned a couple of times. But if someone knows they write poorly in their mother tongue they should be aware of that people around them could see them as "sloppy".
For those who were discussing knife: if you learn a foreign language you should learn phonetics too.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 1:12 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
Don't worry. I was an A student, an English major, am now a lawyer, and can attest that a bunch of these posters are talking out of their @ss. I practice a kind of corporate law and my writing skills help me, but there are plenty of Associates who aren't great writers and are still fantastic lawyers. You likely have to be able to read, analyze, research and cite, depending what kind of law you practice. But the vast majority of writing people do in efficient corporate firms is template-based, so you're basically conducting a legal analysis, and inputting data into the templates. Plus, attorneys have paras drafting half the stuff anyway, and they're conducting review.

Every law firm does need some good writers, but that doesn't mean that you need to be a great writer to be an attorney.

And how about verbal communication in court?

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 1:18 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:

Spelling is also not my strong point. I double check. A grammar check would be helpful with words like principal/principle. I used to use a program that corrected for grammar at work. It was automatic. I think the software was Wordperfect. Decades ago, it would pick up those type of errors. They must have new improved grammar check now.

singleagain

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 1:22 pm
A free Grammer/spell check that can be used online is grammarly

I use it on my work emails.

singleagain

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 1:22 pm
https://www.grammarly.com/m?ne.....marly

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 1:28 pm
I still find the word ‘a lot’ being spelled as one word so many times that often I start to second guess myself.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 1:30 pm
My greatest pet peeve is people who are condescending and think that they are better than others.

Everyone has strengthens and weaknesses.
FYI, an inability to spell is often genetically linked and does not reflect intelligence.
Remember the thread on math and percentages? Some of us can do that instinctively in our heads and are more polarized in regard to cognitive function.

Would you rather women felt self-conscious and insecure about their writing skills or felt comfortable sharing their knowledge and opinions?

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 1:31 pm
The issue that rubs people wrong is real misuse of language. Translation from Yiddish sounds awkward and uneducated. It may sound beautiful in Yiddish, but in translation it’s like nails on a chalkboard. The big problem there is ypthe similarity to English which tricks some speakers into trying to use the bad translation in conversation or written correspondence.
I believe it’s worse than most other languages since they are more different.

Sunny Days

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 1:44 pm
Iymnok wrote:
The issue that rubs people wrong is real misuse of language. Translation from Yiddish sounds awkward and uneducated. It may sound beautiful in Yiddish, but in translation it’s like nails on a chalkboard. The big problem there is ypthe similarity to English which tricks some speakers into trying to use the bad translation in conversation or written correspondence.
I believe it’s worse than most other languages since they are more different.

Not worse then people translating from Spanish or Hebrew or Flemish.
People that are multilingual usually think in there mother tongue, gets hard to remember all translation nuances in informal speech or writing.
Page 6 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette