Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
How long can you keep gefilte fish?

ArthurDent

Post Fri, Dec 21 2007, 9:29 am
I know this may sound gross to some ppl, but personally I have a hard time throwing out food and want to use it if it's still edible. I have a 3-layer gefilte fish cake (from the kosher by design recipe) that I made for shabbos last Thursday. There's still half the cake there and I wonder if I could slice it and serve in for this shabbos. It's been on a plate and tightly wrapped in saran wrap for the whole week.

Whaddya think? Toss it or serve it?

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Dec 21 2007, 10:29 am
Cooked fish doesn't last more than several days. Whatever we don't eat by Tues. goes out.

Don't make yourslef sick - it won't taste good, either.

Lani22

Post Fri, Dec 21 2007, 10:39 am
I would def chuck it. Gefilte fish does not last at all. If I have a significant amount left after shabbas I wrap it up and freeze it.

ArthurDent

Post Fri, Dec 21 2007, 12:03 pm
Thanks for letting me know. I'm not a fish eater and only make it occasionally. If you freeze it after shabbos, how long can it keep in the freezer for?

greenfire

Post Fri, Dec 21 2007, 12:07 pm
I think it sound like it's belly upped

Lani22

Post Fri, Dec 21 2007, 12:20 pm
ArthurDent wrote:
Thanks for letting me know. I'm not a fish eater and only make it occasionally. If you freeze it after shabbos, how long can it keep in the freezer for?

Not more then a month.

mommy24

Post Fri, Dec 21 2007, 12:46 pm
We have eaten gefilte fish that has been in the fridge for a week, never had a problem. Although I don't know about the recipe that you used maybe it is different, but a regular loaf should be ok for one week.

mumoo

Post Fri, Dec 21 2007, 1:05 pm
Ground meat, fish, chicken spoils relatively fast (faster than whole steaks) because there is more surface area exposed to bacteria. Usually if it smells bad it is, but even if it doesn't, I would not give it more than a week.

batya_d

Post Fri, Dec 21 2007, 1:35 pm
My husband eats the gefilte fish through wednesday or so after shabbos. so, 6 days. That's on the very edge of what I find acceptable, but DH doesn't mind, and I like not wasting food. Basically all the leftovers get thrown out on thursday if they're not eaten.

mumoo

Post Fri, Dec 21 2007, 2:11 pm
could be that jarred or other processed gefilte has preservatives that make it last longer

Clarissa

Post Fri, Dec 21 2007, 2:48 pm
I follow a 72 hour rule for any kind of fish. My parents have always kept, and eaten, food until it smelled or tasted funny. They probably built up an immunity to food bacteria over the years that is superhuman.

ArthurDent -- is that from Hitchiker's Guide?

ArthurDent

Post Sat, Dec 22 2007, 8:17 pm
Clarissa wrote:
ArthurDent -- is that from Hitchiker's Guide?

Yup. We also named our rental car in Israel "Arthur Dent". Poor Arthur, he was such a cheapo Fiat Punto, he had trouble making it up all the hills and mountains. The name suited him perfectly.

sarahd

Post Sun, Dec 23 2007, 7:14 am
Clarissa wrote:
I follow a 72 hour rule for any kind of fish. My parents have always kept, and eaten, food until it smelled or tasted funny. They probably built up an immunity to food bacteria over the years that is superhuman.

They must be related to my mother. LOL My mother's stomach is made of cast iron and I don't think she ever met food that was too far gone to be eaten.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics