Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Need a vacation desperately!
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Raisin

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 1:14 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
That's what I will have to do....but we have so many points that we want to use toward a nice hotel! I guess it will have to wait until the kids can stay with friends or stay home themselves.

hotels have suites or interconnecting rooms.

I have been away with my husband and just one toddler or baby, and it is still a vacation. Toddlers don't care if you do adult stuff like museums and walking around, unlike older kids, who tend to complain if you don't take them to kid friendly places.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 1:31 pm
OP here....I would take my baby but my husband is adamant that it's not worth it go on vacation if it's not just the two of us and I do agree with him but I told him it's a little different type of vacation and it's still a getaway. He is pretty firm in his belief and I would rather not go with a baby but for this stage in our lives, I think that's our only option if we want to get away for a little bit.

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 1:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
OP here....I would take my baby but my husband is adamant that it's not worth it go on vacation if it's not just the two of us and I do agree with him but I told him it's a little different type of vacation and it's still a getaway. He is pretty firm in his belief and I would rather not go with a baby but for this stage in our lives, I think that's our only option if we want to get away for a little bit.

Yup we tried that with my now three-year old. It’s a change of scene but it is not a vacation in the real sense of the word. Hatzlacha.

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 1:38 pm
Raisin wrote:
hotels have suites or interconnecting rooms.

I have been away with my husband and just one toddler or baby, and it is still a vacation. Toddlers don't care if you do adult stuff like museums and walking around, unlike older kids, who tend to complain if you don't take them to kid friendly places.

Last year I took a teen and a toddler. Both were demanding and draining. It was quite nice but didn’t really feel like a true vacation as I didn’t get any real me or couple time.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 1:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I was thinking of asking my daughter's babysitter but I don't think she would want to do it because she has 4 kids of her own. How much did you offer the babysitter for each day/night?

I paid at least $100 a day (including the night) but it was almost 7 years ago. It pays to ask her whether she wants to.

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 1:39 pm
Beingreal wrote:
We bring the kids. When they are in bed, we have our own fun!

This doesn’t work when the teens go to bed later than us....

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 1:40 pm
Beingreal wrote:
I go on homeaway and we get a cheap house or a cabin instead of a hotel, so the kids have their own room snd us ours.

Yes that is what we do but we still don’t get enough privacy to make it feel like a vacation.

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 1:41 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
Can your parents or in laws babysit while you and hubby go away for the night?

Not OP but not all of us are able to do the above.

I am assuming OP can’t either or she wouldn’t have started this thread! 🤷🏻‍♀️

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 3:47 pm
Have a staycation where you take a few nice day trips. Or take the kids with you and try to bring a mothers helper

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 4:58 pm
OP, if the baby goes to a babysitter every day, the easiest solution is to ask the babysitter if she'd have her for afew nights. Most babysitters agree to this. Baby would be happy and fine in a familiar setting. Maybe ask the babysitter if she would take your baby and one of your older kids so she has some help and baby has a sibling with her.

mom!

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 5:20 pm
How about a day trip? Those are not quite a vacation but can be a lifesaver when so desperately needed and takes away the problem with finding child care.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 6:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Why do you specifically want to go to Denver or Myrtle Beach? Just curious....

Because I've already been to Florida and I would think it's too hot there right now, and California is too far for 2-3 days. I like nature (denver) more than beach (myrtle) but there's something very refreshing about a beach vacation. I'm open to other ideas as well. Smile

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 6:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I was thinking of asking my daughter's babysitter but I don't think she would want to do it because she has 4 kids of her own. How much did you offer the babysitter for each day/night?

My babysitter did this for me a few years ago. I paid her 100 for the night plus her regular hourly pay from the time she started babysitting other babies which was 8 a.m. until the last one left at 5 or 6 p.m.

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 6:45 pm
Once I took vacation from work for the week. Kids were out at babysitters school during the day. They went to friend afterward school for play dates. Then dh picked them up and brought them home with takeout dinner and put them to bed. It was a break.

salt

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 12:16 am
This might be an unpopular opinion, but that's life, when we have little kids there's a period of life that we may not be able to take romantic vacations. This period may last 20 years!

There are the lucky ones that can leave their kids with family or friends overnight, but others can't.
So we don't take vacations. We make the most of what we can do at this stage of our life to enhance our marriage.
Long evening out; day trip if possible (day off work) when kids are at school; etc.

I personally think that taking a child with that is not yet at talking age, does not spoil the vacation that much. They don't mind being shlepped along places in the stroller, they don't interrupt conversations.
(It may spoil it a bit if they don't like sleeping in a strange place and refuse to go to sleep)

cuffs

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 12:53 am
Sorry you are going through this. 14 months is very young to leave a baby. Maybe you can just go away for one night with dh to a fancy hotel and pay for a babysitter to stay overnight. Then next year when your baby is 2 sounds more manageable to leave for a few days. I've also been in your situation, really really needing a vacation but it just couldn't work out because I couldn't leave my baby/kids. Try to think of something that can give you a break and hold off till the winter. I have found these one night getaways to be very refreshing. I would get a massage in the hotel and go out to eat in a nice restaurant...
Good luck making your decision!

DrMom

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 12:59 am
I'd take the 14-month old with you and see if you could farm out the older kids to friends' families.

I disagree with your DH that a vacation with a toddler is not a vacation, especially if the toddler takes daytime naps in a stroller.

We went away with just our youngest when she was 2.5 and it was very easy. You just need to build in some toddler-friendly activities, but that can be romping in a park or walking on the beach, etc. You don't need to go to kiddie "attractions" at that age.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 1:18 am
Can you get a babysitter at the destination? That can give you some time every day without the baby, or an evening out when the baby is already asleep. Some hotels have such a service.

bunnyrabbit

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 9:15 am
mom! wrote:
How about a day trip? Those are not quite a vacation but can be a lifesaver when so desperately needed and takes away the problem with finding child care.

I can't leave my little kids either, so this is what we do. No, it's not a vacation, but it is a break, a change of scenery, special couple time for several hours straight, and it gives me koach.

bunnyrabbit

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 9:16 am
salt wrote:
This might be an unpopular opinion, but that's life, when we have little kids there's a period of life that we may not be able to take romantic vacations. This period may last 20 years!

There are the lucky ones that can leave their kids with family or friends overnight, but others can't.
So we don't take vacations. We make the most of what we can do at this stage of our life to enhance our marriage.
Long evening out; day trip if possible (day off work) when kids are at school; etc.

This. Unpopular but true.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics