Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Developing or pudge- how can I tell?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 2:05 pm
My DD is newly 9yo.
She is a healthy weight/healthy eater but has a little tummy that is a little rounder than it usually is. I also noticed chub around her chest that I can’t tell if it is development.
She is extremely sheltered and I want to know if I should be talking to her already about changing bodies in 3rd grade!
I was 13 when I got my period so I thought I had at least a couple of years!
Asked my pediatrician he said expect breast and hair development between ages 8-12.

Rappel

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 2:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I was 13 when I got my period so I thought I had at least a couple of years!
Asked my pediatrician he said expect breast and hair development between ages 8-12.

Looks like you got your answer Smile

She's probably got the "hormone belly." Her body will be changing a lot in the next year or two.

Just be supportive, and help her celebrate the changes.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 2:20 pm
No mother should be waiting that long to speak to her daughter. Even if your daughter wouldn't be developing, her peers might be, and it behooves you to speak to her first.

The recommended age I've heard from Rebbetzins I trust is 10. But if your daughter might be developing already, a few months earlier sounds like a great idea.

dankbar

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 2:29 pm
it seems like girls are maturing earlier these days then they did when we were growing up. Could be from hormones added to milk & meat.

dancingqueen

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 2:31 pm
Chayalle wrote:
No mother should be waiting that long to speak to her daughter. Even if your daughter wouldn't be developing, her peers might be, and it behooves you to speak to her first.

The recommended age I've heard from Rebbetzins I trust is 10. But if your daughter might be developing already, a few months earlier sounds like a great idea.

More girls than before are getting their periods at 9, so 10 seems a bit late to start discussing puberty I would think...

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 2:34 pm
Also, don't rely on the fact that you were 13 to give her time. She has her father's genes too. If your husband's mother/sisters developed earlier, your daughter could take after them.

dankbar

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 2:34 pm
they can do a bone density test to see the endocrine age. People do that if their kids are short, to see how much time they still have to grow, before puberty

chanatron1000

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 3:25 pm
Better safe than sorry. Being prepared a little early is better than not at all.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 4:20 pm
My daughter has the same thing. I’m very nervous because she is very short. The dr said she’s just a late bloomer but now that it looks like something is happening there, I’m worried she’s already developing. I have an appointment this summer, and I called them all worried that it’s too long to wait, but they said if there’s no hair I shouldn’t worry. From what I understand, breast buds can start a few years before a girl gets her period. I’m still worried though.

Re hormones in milk, I have always been so careful to only buy milk and eggs without hormones.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 6:49 am
It's not important what it is. You'll know in a few years. Talk about development when it could be that, and/or before bas mitzva.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics