Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Who were YOU in highschool???
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Zehava

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 11:02 pm
keepfighting wrote:
I was a great student but had no friends until high school when I was abused and my grades dropped drastically. Nobody seemed to care. Whichever attempt I made to have friends was stopped by my mom who claimed that I didn’t need any. So I survived my high school years and being the weird girl. I left school depressed, was yelled at for being in a ‘bad mood’ by my parents and miraculously found a job and got married. Today I bh have many friends and I probably appreciate life more than everyone who had an easy time growing up.

Everyone didn’t have an easy time growing up. I know it might’ve seemed that way at the time.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 11:09 pm
This thread is so sad. I always thought I was the only one who dreaded high school, but now it seems like its the ticket to get onto imamother. Sad Can't Believe It

yksraya

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 11:18 pm
Happy go lucky, sometimes a class clown. Well liked and popular, but not from the in-crowd. Out of the box, open minded, got myself in trouble every here and now.

I sort of had friends, was friends with everyone, but didn't quite fit into a group, so sometimes would feel lonely.

P.s. school for me wasn't easy and would never want to go back there, but high school wasn't that bad. Won't go into detail because it's too private and too long.

My experiences in school and in life did make me a growth oriented, stronger person. Challenges either makes you or breaks you.

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 11:21 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
No you’re not. I have no clue who you are. She’s just very special.

Yup!
We LOVED her!
She taught us SO much more then accounting & quickbooks.
Did she teach first aid to your class too?

Do you mind editing the post where you quote me it shouldn’t reflect my screen name. Thanks!

Zehava

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 11:29 pm
Well ok. Fine
Let’s just say that I try not to walk down the avenue where my school is located, and when we pass it by in the car I start to hyperventilate.
I think that’s the part of my life I’ve gotten the least closure on. And short of marching in there and giving everyone a piece of my mind I don’t know if it’ll ever happen.
I did confront some of the authority figures, the more normal ones. But I won’t bother with the narcissistic A-holes. There’s really no point.
As for the queen bees and bullies of of my class, I really don’t blame anyone, we were all kids trying to survive a high-pressure environment. But I’d rather not see any of them ever again. When we meet on the street they are dripping patronizing sweetness.

yerushamama

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 11:29 pm
I never fit in in HS. I did have friends, but most of my class just used me for free tutoring in the subjects I could help with. I always fought the rules about tznius etc, to the point that most of my teachers would be in shock to see me today! Some of them told me (years later) that they had been sure that I would not end up particularly frum. So much for HS as an indicator!

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 11:51 pm
I was the fly on the wall, or part of the woodwork. Had difficulty with tests, no special talents. Dreaded school and years later dreaded it on my kids' behalf too. B"h they had better school experiences than I did.

relish

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 12:00 am
I shone in high school. I made friends right away, and made a good name for myself. By the time I got to 12th grade, I managed to get enough extra-curricular involvement that I was able to cut the classes I didn’t like.
Those days are long gone, but I remember them fondly as the time I worked really hard, and was appreciated by my superiors.
High School was my own oasis. The stories I have from them lift my spirits until today.

salt

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 1:38 am
I was nerdy in high school. But I had a few friends. We were just the 'nerdy clique'.
When I went to seminary in Israel, I went to a place without any of my highschool classmates. And I loved it and became popular. It brought out a different 'me'. Since then I have much more self-confidence.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 2:33 am
I loved high school!
Of course , I had the usual teenage friend dramas but in general, I was well liked and I was friends with everyone. I had my five very close friends but they weren't all friends with each other so I ended up being part of a few groups and hung out with different girls at different times.
I also loved most of my teachers. I felt like I could ask them anything and our classes were so interesting.

I hated Regents though and found them very stressful even though I did well.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 2:35 am
I was very spiritual, Rebbetziny, also very friendly with everyone, didn't belong in one clique, which made me feel silly at times. People liked me and admired me, but sometimes I felt like everyone was closer with another girl than they were close with me.

I wish I can go back to high school now with the maturity that I gained over the last few years.

I hated the pressure of always needing to shmooze, during recess, on the phone, etc.

I was overweight because of emotional overeating, but I really wanted to be thin.

I was close with my teachers but still had a hard time expressing how I felt sad and anxious.

I didn't get into seminary in Israel (despite my strait A record) and ended up going to a seminary in America (something that almost nobody
did in my out of town high school), which made me feel very different from everyone.

I also went to sleep away camp because I could NOT be home for the summer, but I hated that too, because I felt like it was a shallow experience and a complete waste of time, whereas the other girls lived and breathed camp and talked about it a whole year.

Once I met a bunch of friends at a class mates wedding, and they all seemed to be more or less the same immature girls that I remembered. A different time there was a class Chanukah party for everyone who lives in Israel, and they were all busy kvetching about how they don't know if they are asking their husbands for too much help, maybe it is taking away from their learning. I told them that a person should daven for clarity as to what is the ratzon Hashem, ask themselves what they think is the ratzon Hashem in their particular situation, ask for guidance if you need to, and serve Hashem with simcha. They didn't seem to like my answer, they preferred to kvetch and be anxious.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 2:36 am
chmom wrote:
Nope
A nerdy, sci-Fi/ horror loving doctor

Close enough! 🙂 I am curious, was your school in NYC and did it start with the letters St or is this more information than you are willing to divulge?

Kiwi13

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 2:52 am
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
I was very spiritual, Rebbetziny, also very friendly with everyone, didn't belong in one clique, which made me feel silly at times. People liked me and admired me, but sometimes I felt like everyone was closer with another girl than they were close with me.

I wish I can go back to high school now with the maturity that I gained over the last few years.

I hated the pressure of always needing to shmooze, during recess, on the phone, etc.

I was overweight because of emotional overeating, but I really wanted to be thin.

I was close with my teachers but still had a hard time expressing how I felt sad and anxious.

I didn't get into seminary in Israel (despite my strait A record) and ended up going to a seminary in America (something that almost nobody
did in my out of town high school), which made me feel very different from everyone.

I also went to sleep away camp because I could NOT be home for the summer, but I hated that too, because I felt like it was a shallow experience and a complete waste of time, whereas the other girls lived and breathed camp and talked about it a whole year.

Once I met a bunch of friends at a class mates wedding, and they all seemed to be more or less the same immature girls that I remembered. A different time there was a class Chanukah party for everyone who lives in Israel, and they were all busy kvetching about how they don't know if they are asking their husbands for too much help, maybe it is taking away from their learning. I told them that a person should daven for clarity as to what is the ratzon Hashem, ask themselves what they think is the ratzon Hashem in their particular situation, ask for guidance if you need to, and serve Hashem with simcha. They didn't seem to like my answer, they preferred to kvetch and be anxious.

I wish we could have been friends in high school. Maybe we can be friends now. Smile

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 4:30 am
Kiwi13 wrote:
I wish we could have been friends in high school. Maybe we can be friends now. Smile

why?

Rappel

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 4:39 am
I used to call myself a leader without any followers XD

but in retrospect, I was just an extremely shy and pimply kid who needed some training in social skills.

BadTichelDay

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 5:26 am
A complete NERD of course. (I still am).
Nerd

DVOM

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 6:41 am
Huh. Looks like I'm an outlier here... I really enjoyed high school. I worked hard for midling grades but didn't care too much. I worked hard socially, was considered part of the cool crowd and was included in all the fun after school stuff, and made some really great friends. I knew I was squashing pieces of myself into a smoother, softer, more religiously and socially acceptable shape, but it was a choice I made, and I felt lucky, even at the time, that I had the smarts to be able to choose approval and popularity over truth-to-self. Shallow, I know, but I was happy. I remember those years very fondly.

Marriage to a good (great?) man has helped me become more and more and more myself as the years go on. With the safety net of my husband, my home, my adulthood at my back I'm able to do it, but it hurts sometimes, not fitting in, knowing I really could fake it if I wanted to. Or maybe I'm kidding myself. Maybe I'd never fit in here, even if I tried. All I know is that right now I'm not trying, and it's a raw, exhilerating way to live. I couldn't have done this in HS though.

chmom

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 6:43 am
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
Close enough! 🙂 I am curious, was your school in NYC and did it start with the letters St or is this more information than you are willing to divulge?

Funny, I did think about studying something that would lead me to possibly be able to work for NASA later. But medicine ended up being perfect for me, I’m a sociable 🤓
No, I grew up in Europe and went to a secular school

ROFL

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 6:50 am
My daughter HS principal told her on her interview that high school is only four years. She will blossom at the end and she has to understand that it will be hard for her.
I am so glad he saw right away that her personality was not one suited for the cattiness of teenage girls

Raisin

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 6:53 am
I went to a pretty small school with only about 20 girls in my class. Which was good in that we were all very close and friendly and not really cliquey (not after age 13 or so) but I never had a particular close friend.

I was the nerd who knew everything. Thick glasses and unflattering hairstyle. But then again it was the 90s, nearly everyone looked awful.

I think I actually enjoyed high school. I would have enjoyed a more challenging academic enviroment...most of my classmates were not very academic minded.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children