Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Sefira
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

ectomorph

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 6:19 pm
I gave one of my kids an extremely unusual name, but I gave them a normal middle name if they want to switch when they're older.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 10:44 pm
I misspoke. I meant that I wouldn't give the name on its own, not that it has to be the middle name. I hope I didn't offend anyone.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 7:04 am
Safira or Sephora

watergirl

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 8:02 am
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
I have heard the name. There was a girl in my school with that name. No one made fun of her! You get used to a name.

This. Children accept things for what they are and do not start off life with bias. If there is a child in their toddler playgroup, preschool, kindergarten with a classmate named Sefira, I promise, no one will make fun of them. Children enter the world free from bias and do not develop bias until taught to (Lev Vygotsky, Knowledgeable Other).

Who are these nasty children with nasty "others" in their lives who think its ok to make fun of kids names? I did not grow up frum. Is this a frum thing? Is this part of the culture of hating/mocking anything different (also a taught behavior)? No one made fun of names when I was growing up. Kids made fun of other things, sure. But names? Not even today have I heard kids making fun of other kids for their NAMES. Is this a thing? Can I assume the grownups in their lives intervene and correct the bullys? I am honestly shocked that so many people in this thread are excusing bullying.

Truth is, I can just see it now. Kid comes home from school and shows his class list to his mom. Mom is one of these amothers who thinks OP should not use this name. The mom scans the list and says "you have a kid in your class named Safira? Thats an unusual name" and moves on with her day like nothing happened. But your statement has imprinted in your child's mind and you have just given not only bias, but permission to make comments like this about kids names. See how that works? So you are the guilty one, not the kid.

OP, if you like the name, use it. If you are the sort to ask a rav before choosing a name, ask your rav if you can use it. B'shah tovah!

Orchid

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 8:43 am
watergirl wrote:
This. Children accept things for what they are and do not start off life with bias. If there is a child in their toddler playgroup, preschool, kindergarten with a classmate named Sefira, I promise, no one will make fun of them. Children enter the world free from bias and do not develop bias until taught to (Lev Vygotsky, Knowledgeable Other).

Who are these nasty children with nasty "others" in their lives who think its ok to make fun of kids names? I did not grow up frum. Is this a frum thing? Is this part of the culture of hating/mocking anything different (also a taught behavior)? No one made fun of names when I was growing up. Kids made fun of other things, sure. But names? Not even today have I heard kids making fun of other kids for their NAMES. Is this a thing? Can I assume the grownups in their lives intervene and correct the bullys? I am honestly shocked that so many people in this thread are excusing bullying.

Truth is, I can just see it now. Kid comes home from school and shows his class list to his mom. Mom is one of these amothers who thinks OP should not use this name. The mom scans the list and says "you have a kid in your class named Safira? Thats an unusual name" and moves on with her day like nothing happened. But your statement has imprinted in your child's mind and you have just given not only bias, but permission to make comments like this about kids names. See how that works? So you are the guilty one, not the kid.

OP, if you like the name, use it. If you are the sort to ask a rav before choosing a name, ask your rav if you can use it. B'shah tovah!

I agree with everything you write EXCEPT I don't think it's a frum-only thing to make fun of names. I definitely read kids' nonJewish books way back in the day where kids were bullied for having an unusual name. I'll come back and post again if I can remember any of those books.

watergirl

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 8:52 am
Orchid wrote:
I agree with everything you write EXCEPT I don't think it's a frum-only thing to make fun of names. I definitely read kids' nonJewish books way back in the day where kids were bullied for having an unusual name. I'll come back and post again if I can remember any of those books.

I certainly HOPE its not a frum thing. But I’ve honestly never encountered this type of playground bullying before, nor have my kids. And have even more certainly never come across so many women excusing the bullying and telling the victim that they asked for it!

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 8:55 am
You’re giving a different look at naming than we usually see here. Mothers here are always advised not to name after someone in their family who had an unusual name. When a mother comes up with a strange name on her own, you’re saying that’s okay.

cm

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 9:00 am
Plenty of children with mainstream names are teased mercilessly, while others with unique names are not. IME, no connection.

As for Sefira as a name, from the point of view of an American English-speaker, I think it's lovely. However, I trust Israelis who say that in Israel it is a regular word, not a name. There is a certain nuance involved in knowing that (for example) in American English, some nouns can be names, but other similar words are not - think "Rose" vs "Geranium" - and Anglophone Americans don't always pick up on that when choosing a Hebrew name.

It isn't set in stone, though. In different cultures, the "random word" vs "name" distinction may play out differently even in the same language, and some English names that sound very old-fashioned to my ear are fashionable in other countries. And yes, words do become names, once people start using them as such.

watergirl

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 9:01 am
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
You’re giving a different look at naming than we usually see here. Mothers here are always advised not to name after someone in their family who had an unusual name. When a mother comes up with a strange name on her own, you’re saying that’s okay.

Is this directed at me?

I’m sorry you feel the name is strange. Thats ok. Why do I have to give the same input that the “we” you refer to usually gives? I cant have my own opinion? I am very supportive of parents right to use a name they love.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 10:13 am
It was directed at your comment and a couple of others. You for sure can have your own opinion. I was just pointing out that it’s not the popular opinion here. If op wanted to name after a grandmother with an old fashioned sounding name this isn’t what she’d be told. What makes the name strange is the meaning. People do make up new names using Hebrew words. They look for meanings having to do with love, happiness, beauty and things found in nature. I can’t see naming a child Counting. The mother isn’t a Hebrew speaker but if the child is around people who do understand Hebrew it might sound weird.

watergirl

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 11:25 am
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
It was directed at your comment and a couple of others. You for sure can have your own opinion. I was just pointing out that it’s not the popular opinion here. If op wanted to name after a grandmother with an old fashioned sounding name this isn’t what she’d be told. What makes the name strange is the meaning. People do make up new names using Hebrew words. They look for meanings having to do with love, happiness, beauty and things found in nature. I can’t see naming a child Counting. The mother isn’t a Hebrew speaker but if the child is around people who do understand Hebrew it might sound weird.

If its not the popular opinion on here - so what?

If the name sounds strange - so what?

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 11:49 am
My sister's middle name us Saphira. My parents always said that it means sapphire, but they are BT's with little Hebrew.
My name is uncommon, but I know that it’s my great grandmother's name and it’s from lashon hakodesh with a menorah.

I personally would not use a random word as a name.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 12:04 pm
watergirl wrote:

I've totally seen kids get teased over names in the secular world. I know someone who grew up as a secular Israeli in the US. His name is Dovid and his parents used the common Israeli nickname Dudu. Bad idea in the US, and he got teased for many years.

I also didn't grow up frum and off the top of my head, I remember a girl who got teased because her initials were B.M. and a boy who got teased because his name was Hart and a lot of other kids called him Fart. Go to any non Jewish baby naming forum, and you'll find tons of posts about being careful about names and initials, because it's definitely a thing. If you're a Seinfeld fan, I direct you to the episode about Delores. Kids can be really mean, and yes, making fun of names is super common. It's one of the first things kids who want to tease will use in their teasing.

That said, within reason, I don't think it should be the only consideration. You could name your kid something perfectly normal like Eliezer, and if kids want to be mean to him, they'll figure out to call him Smelly Eli. You could name a kid something weird like, I dunno, Chatul, but if he's really cool and popular, no one will say anything. But kids teasing other kids over their names is as old as the hills and definitely a real thing across cultures, and something a lot of parents definitely take into account.

watergirl

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 12:47 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
I've totally seen kids get teased over names in the secular world. I know someone who grew up as a secular Israeli in the US. His name is Dovid and his parents used the common Israeli nickname Dudu. Bad idea in the US, and he got teased for many years.

I also didn't grow up frum and off the top of my head, I remember a girl who got teased because her initials were B.M. and a boy who got teased because his name was Hart and a lot of other kids called him Fart. Go to any non Jewish baby naming forum, and you'll find tons of posts about being careful about names and initials, because it's definitely a thing. If you're a Seinfeld fan, I direct you to the episode about Delores. Kids can be really mean, and yes, making fun of names is super common. It's one of the first things kids who want to tease will use in their teasing.

That said, within reason, I don't think it should be the only consideration. You could name your kid something perfectly normal like Eliezer, and if kids want to be mean to him, they'll figure out to call him Smelly Eli. You could name a kid something weird like, I dunno, Chatul, but if he's really cool and popular, no one will say anything. But kids teasing other kids over there names is as old as the hills and definitely a real thing across cultures, and something a lot of parents definitely take into account.

Ok, I'll coincide to Dudu. Not the best nickname for a kid in America. Although I know an American adult who has always gone by his nickname, Dudie, and he loves his name. He was actually my youth group leader for a year. He rocked that name.

As for the rest of the examples, mean kids will find ANYTHING to be mean about. As parents, its our jobs to do two things; teach our children to be kind by leading by example, and teaching our children to be resilient by leading by example.

I stand by my original post. OP should use a name that she and her husband love. Ask their rav is they are the asking a rav type. Dont if not. And b'shah tovah.

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 1:49 pm
watergirl wrote:
I certainly HOPE its not a frum thing. But I’ve honestly never encountered this type of playground bullying before, nor have my kids. And have even more certainly never come across so many women excusing the bullying and telling the victim that they asked for it!

Saying that a name is unfair to the child is different from excusing the bullying. It is still wrong to harass someone even if their actual name is Please Make Fun Of Me Finkelstein, but parents are still also responsible for giving their child a presentable name.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 1:55 pm
I do admit to having a fondness for Count von Count of Sesame Street. But it's easier for him to carry it off since he's a vampire.

watergirl

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 1:59 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
Saying that a name is unfair to the child is different from excusing the bullying. It is still wrong to harass someone even if their actual name is Please Make Fun Of Me Finkelstein, but parents are still also responsible for giving their child a presentable name.

Presentable? To whom? And why is it unfair to the child just because its uncommon?

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 2:07 pm
Sefira is unfair because of negative associations.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 2:24 pm
One thing to keep in mind, is how Israelis vs. Anglos and other cultures will interpret a name. There are companies that spend hours of research doing nothing but cross checking trade names before they name a product, logo, or mascot. For example, the Nova car didn't sell well in Mexico, because "no va" means "it doesn't go".

DD went to a school where one of the teachers was named Oshrit. This teacher had a loud, screechy voice, and all the kids hated her. The Anglo kids called her "O-Shriek" behind her back. Sometimes they'd even say it around her, and then pretend that they just made a mistake and mispronounced it.

Don't even get me started on names like Preshush, Munee (pronounced money), and Uneek.

Parents DO have an obligation to give a kid a name that is as normal as possible.

yerushamama

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 2:34 pm
I prefer not to comment on Sefira as a name, but there is one thing which I find very interesting - The same people who look for meaningful, beautiful sounding and unusual names absolutely cringe at suggestions like "Gnendel" - which means Gan Eden, or even Sheindel and other Yiddish - European names from earlier generations!
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names