Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Rebbi Thank You
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 5:11 am
Please help! Looking for guidance as to what to give a fantastic Rebbi as a gift for the end of the year. We are in a mainstream litvishe community and would like to give anywhere up to $100 or equal value. I purposely put this in manners / etiquette because I don’t want this to spiral into a visceral debate about gifting rebbeim. Is cash acceptable? Better to give a check? Visa / amazon gift card? Other gift card? Plain gift? Yes, we will write a note too. Thank you so much!!

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 5:19 am
My go to gift for my boys' Rabbaim is a really nice havdala candle (way less than $100) with a poem I write. I try to connect the light of the candle to the light of torah.

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 5:23 am
Cash or check is perfect. With a nice card.

salt

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 5:34 am
I think a gift-card is more 'giftie'. Cash/check is more like a payment, not a gift.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 5:35 am
My husband is a rebbe . cash or gift cards to me are appreciated

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 5:38 am
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
My go to gift for my boys' Rabbaim is a really nice havdala candle (way less than $100) with a poem I write. I try to connect the light of the candle to the light of torah.

That's beautiful and touching but the Rebbi needs money Mad

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 6:05 am
Cash or check.

ddmom

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 6:06 am
For this amount, I would probably give cash.
For smaller amounts($18/25) I like to give a gift card to judaica store! I know my husband loves to buy himself sefarim so I'm assuming rebbi likes it too! (And probably didn't have the budget for it!) Wink
He can always buy a cd for the kids or a book for his wife! So it's nice for everyone!

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 6:10 am
Cash with thank you letter

yerushamama

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 6:13 am
My husband is a rebbi, and just about any gift is tremendously appreciated. What my husband loves the most are the notes - even if unaccompanied! While it is very true that most rebbis need money, they also need positive feedback!

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 6:15 am
We always give Rebbeim a $100 check with a note. I prefer to send a check rather then cash because then I know the Rebbe actually got it. The last day of school is hectic and I would hate for an envelope with $100 cash to be accidentally thrown away or left on the classroom floor.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 7:54 am
Thank you so much for the replies! Is it tacky to give cash? My husband actually prefers that, since we are giving to multiple teachers and in the past many have waited a while to cash checks. (It bothers him, not me, but if it’s not mentschlich to give $100 bills then we can def give checks.)

Rappel

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 7:56 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you so much for the replies! Is it tacky to give cash? My husband actually prefers that, since we are giving to multiple teachers and in the past many have waited a while to cash checks. (It bothers him, not me, but if it’s not mentschlich to give $100 bills then we can def give checks.)

Cash is useful. I think they'll appreciate it just fine.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 8:00 am
Quote:
That's beautiful and touching but the Rebbi needs money

Maybe so, but I want to give something more personal. I also have multiple kids in school and $100 each Rebbe and each secular studies teacher becomes expensive. To give a $18 check feels like I don't appreciate all they did for my kid. I pay a lot of tuition and just don't have the funds to give the amounts I feel they are worth.

I've had the wives of the Rabbaim contact me to thank me or the Rebbi himself called. They called to say that they actually needed a new Havdalah candle and just didn't get a chance to go out and buy one. That my gift couldn't have come at a more perfect time.

mommyhood

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 8:02 am
I give cash or gift cards. If I don’t trust that child to hand it directly to the teacher I bring it in myself.

mommyhood

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 8:04 am
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
Quote:
That's beautiful and touching but the Rebbi needs money

Maybe so, but I want to give something more personal. I also have multiple kids in school and $100 each Rebbe and each secular studies teacher becomes expensive. To give a $18 check feels like I don't appreciate all they did for my kid. I pay a lot of tuition and just don't have the funds to give the amounts I feel they are worth.

I've had the wives of the Rabbaim contact me to thank me or the Rebbi himself called. They called to say that they actually needed a new Havdalah candle and just didn't get a chance to go out and buy one. That my gift couldn't have come at a more perfect time.

I’ve gotten sincere thank you calls for small cash/ gift card amounts. I think every Rebbi/teacher understands that most parents are struggling and that every amount is an effort.

Librarian

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 4:07 pm
CASH. A one hundred dollar bill in the note

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 4:12 pm
I also vote for cash. A gift card ties someone in to that store. I have so many in my wallet I never use. Cash is more convenient than a check.

Emotional

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 5:36 pm
I think a gift card is ideal. If the rebbi is very yeshivish, though, he may not know what to do with an Amazon card.
A prepaid VISA etc is what I would go with.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 6:19 pm
Dh is a rebbe and on Taanis esther there was a knock on the door - it was a delivery from the bagel store for us - bagels cream cheese and muffins in lieu of mishloach manos. It was sooo appreciated. That’s more a purim idea than end of year but just putting it out there
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette