Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Gift for non frum doctor ?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 11:13 pm
What kind of gift would you get for a Jewish doctor who is not orthodox (he is conservative)? Would a physician prayer plaque in hebrew and english be nice or something more neutral that has nothing to do with being Jewish?

jkw

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 11:44 pm
Make a donation to a Jewish charity (Mazon comes to mind) or plant a tree. The certificate can be framed. My doctor uncle z'l kept on getting sculptures from a patient which he didn't like but felt obligated to display. Hope this helps.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 11:48 pm
Donation. The answer is always donation.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 11:54 pm
I prefer to give an actual gift and not a donation.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 11:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I prefer to give an actual gift and not a donation.

A bottle of wine?

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 12:02 am
Write a heartfelt letter - in prose, not in rhyme. That's it. If you want to send a plant for the office, ok, but there's something third-world and bribe-y about giving a doctor a gift for doing his job.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 7:07 am
SEAGREEN MERCI

flower2

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 8:03 am
Bottle of some type of alcohol or box of chocolate or edible arrangements or cake

aricelli

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 8:32 am
Send a brunch/lunch for him and all the office staff to enjoy

cm

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 9:23 am
Please don't send tchotchkes to display. Not everyone has the same taste. A potted plant or food would be better. Why not a donation?

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 10:41 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What kind of gift would you get for a Jewish doctor who is not orthodox (he is conservative)? Would a physician prayer plaque in hebrew and english be nice or something more neutral that has nothing to do with being Jewish?

I did this for a doctor- the goldart one and engraved a message to him on the bottom.

Was very nice.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 10:44 am
Candy dish
Chocolate
Nuts
Pen pen holder

urban gypsy

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 11:13 am
In my area tribute donations are a typical gift and always appreciated.

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 11:20 am
I don't understand how a donation in Dr's honor is a gift! The doctor did you a service, not the one's you're donating to. I would be very offeneded when someone tells me that my gift to you is a donation to someone else.
That said, not all doctors will accept gifts for legal purposes.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 11:29 am
btw- my brother is in the medical field and I see how meaningless gifts like pens and wines are to him. He appreciates a nice note and a gift with meaning behind it. Is there an item that would symbolize your shared experience, a joke you shared or anything that could make the gift giving meaningful?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 11:53 am
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
I don't understand how a donation in Dr's honor is a gift! The doctor did you a service, not the one's you're donating to. I would be very offeneded when someone tells me that my gift to you is a donation to someone else.
That said, not all doctors will accept gifts for legal purposes.

The doctor is paid for his service.

What OP is doing is showing doctor how much she appreciated all he did for her. I would assume that is what she is doing.

A donation says - you did something great for me - and in return I'm doing something great too - I'm supporting a great cause - and since you motivated me to do so - the donation is in your name.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 11:56 am
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
btw- my brother is in the medical field and I see how meaningless gifts like pens and wines are to him. He appreciates a nice note and a gift with meaning behind it. Is there an item that would symbolize your shared experience, a joke you shared or anything that could make the gift giving meaningful?

The doctors in my family appreciated and kept beautiful handmade items. Thats just not possible for most people.

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 12:00 pm
Amother pumpkin, how does it show appreciation towards a person when you donate in their honor? How do you know the person even has an interest in that charity? If you want to gift a person for something nice they did, give the actual person a gift. Don't gift someone else in their name.

urban gypsy

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 12:00 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
The doctor is paid for his service.

What OP is doing is showing doctor how much she appreciated all he did for her. I would assume that is what she is doing.

A donation says - you did something great for me - and in return I'm doing something great too - I'm supporting a great cause - and since you motivated me to do so - the donation is in your name.

Exactly. It's unethical to give a doctor a gift with monetary value. Plus they have more than enough money to buy themselves whatever they want. Jewish doctors, frum or not, usually are involved in charitable causes and it makes them really happy when you give a donation in their honour. Really, you are gifting them the mitzvah you did on their behalf- what could be better than that?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 12:16 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
Amother pumpkin, how does it show appreciation towards a person when you donate in their honor? How do you know the person even has an interest in that charity? If you want to gift a person for something nice they did, give the actual person a gift. Don't gift someone else in their name.

Ok - explain to me how a tangible gift shows appreciation? It’s something a doc can point to and say, my patient liked me lots?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics