Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Would you let your 7 year-old make a cake?
Previous  1  2

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 7:11 pm
[quote="amother [ Copper ]"]Baby - Walks away from little snack table holding food - "food stays on the table". Take out of hand and put on table. Repeat as needed.

Young toddler - Throws from high chair - "looks like you you're done eating." remove from high chair.

Silly with food at booster seat - "I can't let you play with your food. Looks like you're done eating." remove from table.

Not that hard. Consistent rules, same sentence, repeat calmly, takes a few times when they test but they learn quickly.
If still hungry, dw, they quickly learn to come back to table.[/quote

I would love to hear more about your parenting style.can you elaborate? Any reading I can do?

chanatron1000

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 7:24 pm
Letting a child help with baking is a wonderful thing. Not everyone can do it, but it is definitely good if you can.

cozyblanket

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 8:56 pm
My DC7 made a dunkin hines cake with distant supervision last week. I cracked the eggs and did a final mixing, but dc loved it. It is good for kids to be constructive with their time. OP, it sounds like you are doing fine.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 10:36 pm
[quote="amother [ Ginger ]"]
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
Baby - Walks away from little snack table holding food - "food stays on the table". Take out of hand and put on table. Repeat as needed.

Young toddler - Throws from high chair - "looks like you you're done eating." remove from high chair.

Silly with food at booster seat - "I can't let you play with your food. Looks like you're done eating." remove from table.

Not that hard. Consistent rules, same sentence, repeat calmly, takes a few times when they test but they learn quickly.
If still hungry, dw, they quickly learn to come back to table.[/quote

I would love to hear more about your parenting style.can you elaborate? Any reading I can do?

Sure. I was drawn naturally to a respectful style which is totally the opposite of how I was raised - the old fashioned way. For example with my first I intuitively nursed on demand and coslept and refused CIO even tho my mom and sisters and aunts and friends etc all swore by it. Then I read Dr Sears on Attachment Parenting and felt validated!

Books - off the top of my head but obv depends on age - positive discipline and Janet Lansbury would be my top 2

Baby and toddler books by Aubrey Hargis
Positive Discipline by Jane nelsen (there's a whole series so pick your target)
Books by Janet Lansbury - though she focuses on baby and toddler her approach works across the board. Also has a blog and podcast
For a scientific approach, Whole Brain Child and others in series (I didn't care for it but it's interesting)
For montessori itself, books by her or on the subject

debsey

Post Thu, Jun 06 2019, 4:02 am
Of course!

Keep in mind you need to check the eggs for her because she's not over bas mitzvah.

As long as you do the oven-related parts, what's wrong? All of my kids (the ones living at home and the ones who aren't still crawling, at least.....) are making at least one dish or baking something for Y"T.

my five year old will be decorating cookies and wrapping "franks" in their "blanks."

my older kids (eight, ten, twelve, HS age, etc) will do things like pull brisket, make knishes, make salami "roses" for appetizers, and make salads.

I think it's fun to all cook together in the kitchen (within reason) and I think kids feel so good about themselves if they cook and everyone praises what they made.

zaq

Post Thu, Jun 06 2019, 6:19 am
To answer the title question: Unsupervised, of course not. But under my supervision? Why not? Kids are capable of much more than we give them credit for.

top mom

Post Thu, Jun 06 2019, 6:23 am
Debsey, your house sounds like a fun place to grow up in!

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Jun 06 2019, 6:24 am
I'm not free style at all, but my DS has been helping me cook supper, make Shabbos, etc since he was two. Lots of mess and sometimes interesting amounts of ingredients, but he liked doing it. At 4-5, he makes most of a cake by himself. He even wants to be the only one to check the eggs (I let him check but then I check). He mixes by hand and doesn't use the oven. I just consider it good training for later in life. Hopefully, he will help his wife cook.
ETA:. I've baked with his friends on playdates. I never thought it would be an issue.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jun 06 2019, 9:08 am
My 12 year old is alone in the kitchen. My 7 year old is supervised but can bake some things. My 5 year old participates.

giselle

Post Thu, Jun 06 2019, 11:34 am
I was up until really late baking with my daughter - it probably took double the amount of time, but she was so proud! If you’re baking along side with him, I can’t see why a two year old can’t participate (taking care that his hands are clean of course).

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Jun 06 2019, 11:39 am
I'm not freestyle at all. But my 7 year old is very responsible and literate. I would re write the recipe in large bold letters and lay out the corresponding measuring cups and spoons. Then I would give her a basic overview of how to do it and voila! I wouldn't expect it to come out perfect but with practice a few times she's bound to get there and be very proud of her accomplishments.
Of course, clean up is part of baking. And of course the licking that comes before it!
(I probably would re wash the dishes when she's not around to see it though)
Good luck op and happy parenting!

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Thu, Jun 06 2019, 11:40 am
How are all of you not getting pounds of sugar and flour all over the counters and floors? I let DD6 help me bake, but there's always a huge mess to clean up for all her help, and I can't imagine the mess that there would be if she was in charge!

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Jun 06 2019, 11:44 am
TranquilityAndPeace wrote:
How are all of you not getting pounds of sugar and flour all over the counters and floors? I let DD6 help me bake, but there's always a huge mess to clean up for all her help, and I can't imagine the mess that there would be if she was in charge!

Who says we aren't. But it's a fun activity that teaches them a skill. They can help clean up.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jun 06 2019, 12:27 pm

Counter savers are great! Try them out. I also taught my kids how do measure the flour and sugar so it doesn’t make a mess.

mommyla

Post Thu, Jun 06 2019, 12:37 pm
My 10-year-old DS bakes on his own. He started early, "helping" me as soon as he was able to stand on a stepstool next to the counter and progressing to mixing batters and then preparing Duncan Hines mixes alone. The other day, he got a recipe from a friend, I helped him halve it, and he baked and cleaned up after himself from start to finish. I also let him peel and cut veggies (which is great because I hate doing it!) and he actually helped with my Yom Tov cooking. We watch MasterChef Junior together and he's fascinated, I'm happy that he has such a great hobby!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 06 2019, 12:41 pm

We are getting a mess!! But that's the next thing for me to teach him. For now we're working on measurements and fractions, reading the ingredients, and following instructions. Next will be cleaning up after himself.

Thanks everyone! We're going to continue baking together anyway but at least now I don't feel bad about it.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 06 2019, 12:47 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
Baby - Walks away from little snack table holding food - "food stays on the table". Take out of hand and put on table. Repeat as needed.

If still hungry, dw, they quickly learn to come back to table.

I love this! Thanks so much I'm going to look into it more.

greenfire

Post Thu, Jun 06 2019, 1:00 pm
wash their hands & no licking till cake is safely in the oven ~ YES !!!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics